• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can digestive enzymes improve gut bacteria?

Hello !
Id love to hear peoples input on what role enzymes might play in restoring normal gut bacteria.
Im aware of several potential interrelationships.. perhaps there are more.
Theory.....
1 Dysbiosis, by damaging the gut lining, causes the loss of Brush Border Enzymes. These enzymes, made right in the cells of the gut wall, are involved in the final stages of carb and protien digestion. Without these enzymes partly digested carbs and protiens serve as food for pathogenic microbes. Creating an endless cycle of dysbiosis and gut damage.
2 Microbial damage to the gut lining may interfere with signalling to the pancreas, so pancreatic enzymes are not released as needed. ( Theoretical, but ive heard that postutlated)
3. Some pathogens apparently interfere with stomach acid production, further inhibiting digestion.

Supplemental enzymes may serve to break this cycle, by breaking down food more thoroughly, so you dont feed the wrong bacteria, and so that you get more nutritients for immunity and healing.

My experiences..
With my very dysbioitic intestinal tract, I found digestive enzymes quite helpful, tho I sometimes struggled to tolerate them. I saw significant differences in before and after nutrient tests.
Lipase, the fat splitting enzyme, is expensive, so many brands severely skimp on it. ( I couldnt handle fish oil until I changed to an enzyme brand that had some lipase )

To what degree can enzyme production restart?
To what degree can ezzymes assist in altering the microbial food supply to help normalize the flora?
Has anyone had good success with this? and how?
Regards,

Viking