• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Glutamine do this ? (warning)

vortex

I have leaky gut and I tried taking glutamine. But have a sensitive reaction.

If I take 100mg. which is a tiny tiny dose, compared to people taking 10-30 grams. I have intestinal pain and urge to go to bathroom.

I just cant believe I am that sensitive, I am sure with the meat I eat, I must be ingesting grams and grams, plus your body is supposed to make it, so I just dont get it.

I have tried to push through it hoping I am healing, but now my gut is sensitive and almost raw in a IBS way, so if I eat anything spicy or drink coffee, my gut hurts.

Which is crazy because glutamine is supposed to heal guts not damage them ?

help ! has anyone had this kind of reaction ?

Martial

can be a preservative you are reacting too, if you are eating meat and other things in your diet I would feel its unlikely tied to the glutamine directly. Honestly I found myself the best thing to heal my gut using glutamine is goat milk, it is actually anti inflammatory and used in some conditions of inflammation of the intestines and gut, I can't recall anything specific but read a few articles. Anyways it also does not cause reactions of lactose intolerance like normal milk because the proteins are much smaller, thus easier to digest. If you are feeling that lousy I would give goat dairy products a try first, I also use goat yogurt as it has probiotics in it as well and similar high glutamine acid profile.

vortex

There are no adititves, its a pure powder. I noticed in the bathroom today some mucus or intestinal lining has sloughed off.

Like I said, if I take 100mg of powder, my intestines start grumbling and I have an urge to go, I have stopped taking it but my intestines are still raw and I feel really bad if I eat anything irritating like coffee or hot sauce etc.

Strange !

Hip

I does seem very strange that you are so sensitive to such a tiny amount. I often take 10 grams of glutamine, with no ill effects at all — and my gut is pretty sensitive (I have IBS, and any hint of spices or alcohol will make my IBS much worse).

Perhaps chalk it up as one of the mysteries of the universe, and instead try some other leaky gut supplements, like those listed in this thread: Fixing Leaky Gut Helps ME/CFS, and Sometimes Achieves Full Remission

Last edited:

kangaSue

I have leaky gut and I tried taking glutamine. But have a sensitive reaction.

If I take 100mg. which is a tiny tiny dose, compared to people taking 10-30 grams. I have intestinal pain and urge to go to bathroom.

I just cant believe I am that sensitive, I am sure with the meat I eat, I must be ingesting grams and grams, plus your body is supposed to make it, so I just dont get it.

I have tried to push through it hoping I am healing, but now my gut is sensitive and almost raw in a IBS way, so if I eat anything spicy or drink coffee, my gut hurts.

Which is crazy because glutamine is supposed to heal guts not damage them ?

help ! has anyone had this kind of reaction ?

Glutamine is not necessarily the problem of itself. Could it be that the glutamine conversion is producing too much free glutamate which can become an excitotoxin in some circumstances.
http://www.stemcelltherapies.org/ALS/glutamine-glutamate-glutathione.html

vortex

UPDATE - It turns out the problem was that I had a MASSIVE glutamine deficiency and any tiny bit I took was badly needed to repair my intestines, so if I took any my intestines would wake up and start grumbling and making noises and I would have to go to the bathroom. I have been taking it really slowly over the last 6 months on and off and I can now tolerate a few hundred mgs.
What I dont understand is why didnt other sources of glutamine from protein do anything ? It wasnt like I am vegan or starving myself of protein.
I had this huge deficiency from having chronic infections for 40 years and have been really depleted.
I now take it and my stomach doesnt grumble but instead it gives me energy and I feel great.

I have finally been diagnosed and getting treated for my undiagnosed infections, but I dont think I would have ever recovered from my illness fully without taking glutamine. Something I had to figure out on my own, no regular MD would ever have recommended. I just think how I would have never recovered if I didnt take glutamine as my body was so deficient and wasnt getting repleted from protein in my diet.
How many other people are out there that have been treated for infections by a regular MD but never fully recover from being disabled because their doctor doesnt know anything about nutrition ?

UPDATE - It turns out the problem was that I had a MASSIVE glutamine deficiency and any tiny bit I took was badly needed to repair my intestines, so if I took any my intestines would wake up and start grumbling and making noises and I would have to go to the bathroom. I have been taking it really slowly over the last 6 months on and off and I can now tolerate a few hundred mgs.
What I dont understand is why didnt other sources of glutamine from protein do anything ? It wasnt like I am vegan or starving myself of protein.
I had this huge deficiency from having chronic infections for 40 years and have been really depleted.
I now take it and my stomach doesnt grumble but instead it gives me energy and I feel great.

I have finally been diagnosed and getting treated for my undiagnosed infections, but I dont think I would have ever recovered from my illness fully without taking glutamine. Something I had to figure out on my own, no regular MD would ever have recommended. I just think how I would have never recovered if I didnt take glutamine as my body was so deficient and wasnt getting repleted from protein in my diet.
How many other people are out there that have been treated for infections by a regular MD but never fully recover from being disabled because their doctor doesnt know anything about nutrition ?

I have had problems in the past taking Glutamine too. It has given me severe stomach pains and upset. I considered the possibility that some brands might be impure. After all they aren't really monitored and could be cut with fillers and not say it on the label. I am taking a new brand and taking it slowly and doing OK so far. I find your theory interesting too. I just thought I was dealing with a bad batch.

SwanRonson

I am very sensitive to glutamine as well. It creates a sugar crash type horrible feeling whenever I take more than a tiny amount. I've seen a few reports of blood sugar issues with it.