• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Klonopin be used "now-and-then"?

Anne

Can Klonopin/clonazepam/Iktorivil be helpful as a “now-and-then” sleep aid? That is, be taken maybe 2 separate nights a week to give the person some nights of better sleep, while not creating dependence?

Or does one need to take it continuously for it to be effective?

(Sorry for not having the capacity to read all older threads on Klonopin. A quick search didn't help me out.)

xchocoholic

Hi. I'm not sure if going on and off Klonopin would eliminate the dependency effect BUT

I go up and down with small doses all the time. My prescription is 1 .125 mg at night for myoclonus and up to 4 for a full blown myoclonic event / seizure.

I was also told by my doctors to take these as needed during the day for pre seizure activity. So my doctors seemed ok with varying the dose. Actually they encouraged it. As long as I didn't continuously increase my dose. I never wanted to increase the dosage because these make me waaaaay too drowsy if I do.

I seem to get by with taking 1/3 - 1/2 of a .125 mg tablet for 2-3 nights but have to go back to taking the whole tablet for 1 night for myoclonus.

Not exactly what you asked but I've found I can play with the dosage. I went off it completely after 16 years for about 4 years until I realized my myoclonus had just become much much milder and not vanished like I thought.

Hth .. x

Eta. Have you tried natural sleep aids like melatonin, 5htp, chamomile tea, etc ? Or even a little Benadryl ? I'm not sure if Natural calm, powdered magnesium citrate, is considered a sleep aid but it makes me relaxed.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I think if your going to use a benzo, that is a good way. Twice a week, not two days in a row.

I think if you do it that way it'll be more effective. When you take it continually you end up with physical dependence, maybe psychological and you build tolerance, need more to do the same thing.