• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Caution this drug may cause serious harm! Why we must report adverse effects of physical activity pr

Tom Kindlon

Unfortunately this is not open access, although I did find the image to the first page when I went once which turned out to be the whole article (except for the references)

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/49/1/1.extract

Br J Sports Med 2015;49:1-2 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2014-093604
  • Editorial
Caution this drug may cause serious harm! Why we must report adverse effects of physical activity promotion
  1. Evert Verhagen1,2,
  2. Caroline Bolling3,
  3. Caroline F Finch2
I'll post some extracts in a moment.

Tom Kindlon

[PA = physical activity]

The potential for adverse effects of PA, and the need to mitigate them, are mostly ignored in PA research and PA interventions alike.

However, truth be told, while adverse effects of actual drugs are regulated and monitored by law, PA and its promotion are neither governed by any official administrative body nor should they be.

The Women’s Injury study (WIN), as an example, observed a musculoskeletal injury rate of 35% (!!) in a representative sample of community-dwelling women participating in all forms of PA.6

Yet, none of the included articles acknowledged potential side effects of their advocated medicine.
i.e. exercise

Just as side effects and adverse events of clinical treatments must be disclosed, so should injury risks.