• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS A360A & alpha lipoic acid supplements

BadBadBear

Hi,

I have recently had my 23AndMe results run, and one of the outcomes is homozygous for
CBS A360A. This makes sense to me because at times, I cannot handle sulfur containing foods. I had never put it together as a sulfur problem until now, though. I go through stretches where the freshest eggs from my own backyard flock taste HORRIBLE and sulfurous to me, and other times they taste sooo good, so I think this may be A360A in action.

Before finding out about A360A, I had recently started supplementing ALA (200mg slow release form) and find it helps me a lot with nocturia and my 4 a.m. glucogenesis cycle. I am not waking up and having adrenaline spurts, and that change was immediate with ALA supplementation. Sometimes I sleep all night, which is a huge blessing.

So my question is, if you have this mutation and took/take ALA, how did it work for you? Are there other supplements that might be similar in action to ALA w/o the -thiol content? And if I do something like stop eating eggs & cruciferous veggies (which I have done), will that help offset staying on ALA or is it not worth the risk?

I do make cinnamon tea daily for blood sugar, and between that and ALA, my fasting glucose is down 10 points or so. Enough to bump me down into a normal range for my morning blood sugars (75-90).

Thanks for any thoughts or advice or random pondering about this. :)

- Michelle

ps. FWIW, my terrible flare-up in 2012 happened when I was consuming a lot of sulfur foods - whey & kefir smoothies, crucifers, eggs. I have never found a reason for that flare, this seems like a very possible cause as I went on to become completely protein intolerant for a long time after that, and I can still barely tolerate kefir (which I make for my celiac DH as it seems to tremendously benefit him).

shah78

I'm bewildered by your ability to handle ALA but unable to handle high sulfur food. Google Andrew Cutler Chelation. ALA is Uber-high sulfur. Always interesting things to learn here on PH.

BadBadBear

I am in a phase now where eggs are not bothering me, so I would guess that is why I am tolerating ALA. That said, I do feel like my gut dysbiosis has been on the rise lately.

BadBadBear

OHHHH, would build up of ammonia cause my BUN level to be high?? Or would there be some other blood marker I could look back at in my older bloodwork? I do have an elevated BUN for some reason. Hmmm.

To update this post, I was reading yesterday and found info on a website about blood test lab procedure that high ammonia can cause a falsely high BUN.

Last edited:

BadBadBear

Hmmm. So I tested serum ammonia, and it's at 42 (range 30-124). Homocystine is too low at 5.01 (range 4.44-13.56). I also got my sulfur strips in and my sulfur level is basically undetectable.

I'm confused now. Do I need to add thiols back in? Am I over-methylated? My gut is doing much better, but I'm not sure if it's the low sulfur diet or the resistant starch.

kel88

Its a shame that nobody response! Ive got also a360 and want to try ALA as well! :)
Do you still take it? :)

TheChosenOne

I have 699 +/- and 360 +/-. I feel a bit worse on some sulfur foods, but not significantly worse. Although it is probably related to mercury rather than CBS.
I can take both ALA as well as DMSA without any problems.
The CBS mutation is supposed to be overrated, but I feel like there is some confusion within the community.
Also: ALA already seems to be working at quite low doses like 25 mg.