• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFSAC Meeting Scheduled for January 13, 2015

Nielk

I wonder why they couldn't provide it to us BEFORE the meeting. This is supposed to be a public meeting - federal law.
If we can't follow what's going on, how public is it?

Nielk

They are legally supposed to accommodate the disabled. It is impossible for us patients to follow what is going on. They each have a hard copy of what they are discussing. We have nothing. I don't think that they can legally sign off on this...as a legal public meeting.

The committee just spent time wordsmithing their recommendation for how to word the section on excercise therapy. It would have been better if they had said that exercise is not an appropriate therapy in any way. It won't improve the symptoms of a person with ME, so why recommend it at all?

EDIT: I'll answer my own rhetorical question: POLITICS. :mad:

Last edited:

Nielk

I just sent the following e-mail to Barbara James (DFO)

1/13/2015

Dear Ms. James,

My name is Gabby Klein. I am an ME patient and I am currently trying to listening in to the public Jan. 13, 2015 CFSAC meeting.

It is impossible for us patients to follow anything that is taking place. We have no hard copy nor any visual of what is being discussed.
Decisions are being made but, this cannot be considered a "public" meeting, since the public can't follow.

Legally, you are supposed to provide for accommodations of the disabled. It is impossible for ill patients suffering from brain fog to follow such a meeting with no visual.

I am thereby challenging the legality of this public meeting..

sincerely yours,

Gabby Klein

One committee member, Elisa ?, is concerned that the recommendations that health care providers need to be educated in active listening skills would offend doctors. Yes, my number one concern here is hurting their delicate doctor feelings.

Denise

Astounded that they have been allowed to go over the allotted time!
Also astounded that they have approved the document. I did not think it would happen.

Sing

I took a lot of notes but won't post them all as I don't have the energy or quite enough memory (ha, ha). But I will say I was very encouraged by the changes they agreed on today and what they will be sending to the P2P. To my mind they were not pulling any punches. Their document will certainly be respectful but it began by recommending that ME be distinguised from CFS and that the CCC be universally adopted until such time as updated criteria are accepted. They want Oxford to be retired and Oxford based studies not to be used to inform treatment recommendations. They want the ME/CFS community (they went back to using the designation ME/CFS as it was the nomenclature in the draft report, even though they had recommended separating these two entities) to be able to review the recommendations of IOM before any new clinical definition is decided upon, and after this, the research definition too.

Donna Nelson did a great job, I thought, in managing this conference. She did at some points, however, seem doubtful and leaning towards withdrawing language and ideas which she believed the P2P would not use, but the group strongly over-rode these doubts by saying that they want to be on record with what they understand about this illness and what they really do recommend--even if P2P does ignore them.

Barbara James got permission to extend the time so that important final business could be completed.

I heard a lot of participation and influence from Maryann Fletcher, Jose Montoya, Susan Levine and Gary Kaplan.

My one question to anyone here is, where was Dr. Unger? She was listed at the outset as a member of the Non-working group, which also included Jose Montoya who spoke a lot, but I never heard her so assume she was one of the people absent, at least from this part of the process of hashing out changes.

Last edited:

waiting

I tried to listen but was completely unable to focus -- it was "word soup" to me, unfortunately.

However, what I did notice was how hard they are working on our behalf. I was very impressed by their excellent, engaged work -- it would be very trying, even for a healthy person, to accomplish what they did today in 2 hours.

It was great to hear Dr. Montoya and Dr. Fletcher, especially, and others. So grateful for their voices.

Edit: and also thankful for the patients/advocates who continue to speak out.

Last edited:

Nielk

They had worked on all this in a working group. They each were e-mailed the document in advance so that by the time the meeting started they were all familiar to what was going on. They basically just had to go through it in a public meeting so that they can legally vote in it in a public way.

Ember

According to my notes and recollection...

Donna reported that, with the IOM working on a clinical case definition, language that could be construed as a dig at CDC/NIH was not included. But Dr. Kaplan resisted the censorship.

Barbara James tried to cut off, for lack of time, Dr. Kaplan's final motion recommending that the CCC be adopted until updated criteria are accepted. Discussion was curtailed, and subsequent items recommending that an ME/CFS committee review the IOM Report and agree on a single case definition to be modified for research purposes and widely disseminated remained. No language specified that this ME/CFS committee of stakeholders would be comprised of experts.

The Committee quickly passed its motion of acceptance and then continued to deliberate on different topic for another 15 minutes.