• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Changes in hair growth?

Another questions:
  1. Do CFS patients experience decrease in hair growth quality? Loss of hair, loss of pigment?
  2. Do you feel at least a bit better after a haircut?

Last edited by a moderator:

Asklipia

Another questions:
  1. Do CFS patients experience decrease in hair growth quality? Loss of hair, loss of pigment?

Yes there is a decrease in hair quality. My hair is not so thick as it was previously. I never cut my hair which is very long. Most of the hair loss is concentrated near lymphatic exits and particularly in an area over the left ear. Each improvement in health brought new tufts of hair and as a result I have layered bunches of hair. I don't know about the colour though as I treat my hair regularly with a mixture of indigo leaves and henna leaves. This feels very pleasant and the mind is sharper after that.

My husband has lost a lot of hair and his won't noticeably grow back. Makes him very sad and I hope I find some day a way to reverse this. He sometimes gets a sprinkling of grey hair but they soon revert to back. He loves having his hair cut.

As to henna, my recipe includes also indigo which is an important ingredient too.

As to why my husband likes his hair cut : same pleasure as having a shave, to get rid of something which is vaguely ticklish. And he felt like this all his life, before he ever got sick.

Yes there is a decrease in hair quality. My hair is not so thick as it was previously. I never cut my hair which is very long. Most of the hair loss is concentrated near lymphatic exits and particularly in an area over the left ear. Each improvement in health brought new tufts of hair and as a result I have layered bunches of hair. I don't know about the colour though as I treat my hair regularly with a mixture of indigo leaves and henna leaves. This feels very pleasant and the mind is sharper after that.

My husband has lost a lot of hair and his won't noticeably grow back. Makes him very sad and I hope I find some day a way to reverse this. He sometimes gets a sprinkling of grey hair but they soon revert to back. He loves having his hair cut.

Asklipia, thank you.

As you are not having your hair cut done, no use in asking you.

Your husband, then: Why does he like to have his hair cut?

As to henna, my recipe includes also indigo which is an important ingredient too.

As to why my husband likes his hair cut : same pleasure as having a shave, to get rid of something which is vaguely ticklish. And he felt like this all his life, before he ever got sick.

Oh, henna! Another one to explore.

Ripley, any old books on henna?

shah78

My results:CFS did my hair no damage,,,,,,,, but the Paleo Diet, Methylation, prebiotics/probiotics has made my hair outrageous! Much better.thicker than when I was in highschool/college, and I'm a 58 year old male.

jess100

Another questions:
I realize this post is from last year, but I too am having thinning hair and loss of the pigment. It's lifeless and suddenly more wavy than it was and just recently (age 59) I have a new cowlick. How's this possiblle?

jess100

I want to add that I'm not losing hairs -but each hair is much thinner and lifeless and completely unmanageable. No one can give me a good haircut probably bc the texture is so strange. It's kind of spongy and sticks to my fingers. It feels like artificial hair.... This change came on very suddenly (within a few days) ago after using a medicine for precancerous skin cells. This was in 2010 which seemed to be the start of my decline. Since then my hair has been a big problem. Anyone else have something similar?

Billt

I want to add that I'm not losing hairs -but each hair is much thinner and lifeless and completely unmanageable. No one can give me a good haircut probably bc the texture is so strange. It's kind of spongy and sticks to my fingers. It feels like artificial hair.... This change came on very suddenly (within a few days) ago after using a medicine for precancerous skin cells. This was in 2010 which seemed to be the start of my decline. Since then my hair has been a big problem. Anyone else have something similar?

Jess , odd I should find this post. I wanted to come on here and check with others about hair loss.

My son has started losing a lot of hair in the last couple of months. Don't know if it is from EBV/CFS or the meds he is taking. He is on LDN and large dose of Famvir. Anybody have any thought ????

I've had CFS for awhile, however have only experienced a slight difference in hair texture.

In CFS and fibromyalgia patients, as in any chronic illness, a very common cause of unusual hair loss is a condition called "Telogen Effluvium." This is when the normal cycles of natural growing and falling out of the hair follicles become jolted out of their usual random phase due to illness. In this condition, a severe physical stress - such as pneumonia or a CFS flare up - can produce unusual hair loss which doesn't begin until 3-9 months later. This type of hair loss is reversible, although it can take 3-9 months. It often grows in more quickly than this, but it's better to be pleasantly surprised than to feel disappointment and abandon the needed Rx too quickly.

Rvanson

Another questions:

1. No. I am 61 and have 90% of my hair, with very little gray so far. My beard hair and mustache hair is mostly turning gray however. Genital and armpit hair is still brown. My younger brother who has no CSF/ME has lost much of his head hair and its very gray. We both had brown hair. My hair grows normally, so I have a six dollar haircut done once a month or so. Great guy, my Barber!!!

2. No. Its pleasant, but I dont feel any change after a haircut. My toenails and fingernails DO seem to be growing faster then I can recall, for whatever that is worth. I cut those myself, like most men do, so I notice that easily.

PennyIA

...as in any chronic illness, a very common cause of unusual hair loss is a condition called "Telogen Effluvium." This is when the normal cycles of natural growing and falling out of the hair follicles become jolted out of their usual random phase due to illness. In this condition, a severe physical stress - such as pneumonia or a CFS flare up - can produce unusual hair loss which doesn't begin until 3-9 months later. ...QUOTE]

Yes, this.

I had suffered a pulmonary embolism (severe physical stress) and suffered mild hair loss (more thinning).

A lot of people who have had blood clots blame the treatment medication - warfarin for their hair loss. But, to be honest, I agree with you, I think it's the physical stress (which so many of us underestimate in an event of a blood clot).

I've been on warfarin repeatedly and NOT had further hair thinning... the treatment was preventative for further clots, but no clots and no stress and no further hairloss would lead me to believe it's not the medication.

That said, my methylation supplements have vastly improved my hair, skin and nails. All these b vitamins in a form I can use seem to really make a difference.