• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

chronic fever, triggered by taurine or pycnogenol?

so at the end of 2013 i started the same day pycnogenol(150mg) and taurine(5 grams).and after 3-4 hours i had low grade fever which i have since then.i took these supplements for 4-5 days.and then i realized one of them was responsible.i broke out with acne with big white pimples.but when i stopped supplements it was gone.i took xifaxan one week because i thought it was bacterial infection.but nothing.i did the spit test(for candida) days ago and now i think taurine(which has sulfur) fed the candida.and candida toxins give me fever?but is it a possibility that pycnogenol caused me immune reaction(or a virus) and now i am screwed forever?another thing is it caused me hypothyroidism.and i began taking 100mcg t3 but it doesnt get into cells.i am sure candida can do that.anyone has an opinion?because i must know what to except.to be ready.i ordered supplements for candida(candex).and i started probiotics with RS and sacharomyces boulardii.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I like Thorne SF722 for candida.

I was just looking at Sacromyces boulardii and there is some information that says don't take it if you have a compromised immune system, that it can lead to some other issue. Yeast in the blood? Sorry I'm on my phone so can't put my hands on the link. But I found it pretty easily on several sites.

You might want to check.

i take it(S Boulardii) 4 days with no adverse reaction.thanks for suggestion.i will try fungal defense first because i have already ordered

Last edited:

alex3619

@finalgates, there are a lot of guesses in your description.

What do you mean by low grade fever?

Yes, it could indeed be the pycnogenol. Its unlikely, but you can't just rule it out. What dose were you taking of each supplement? People need that kind of information if they want to give advice.

You could have an entirely separate problem causing all your issues, nothing to do with taurine or pycnogenol. Or it might be that both of them are causing the problem.

Are you sweating more? Chills? Increased cognitive dysfunction? It might not even be fever. Other processes can produce similar sensations.

Candida is usually not a severe problem. If it becomes severe its usually much more severe than you describe. It does indicate you have decreased immunity to at least yeast at the moment. I wont give advice on candida as its well covered elsewhere ... but I would like to say that opinions on what to do about candida are all over the place.

150 mg pycnogenol and 5 grams taurine.i have fever some days and some not.37 Celsius.sweating more the days i have fever.the others i dont even sweat when i train.chills in the beggining not now but i have them for years.i try to see if it is only candida or pycnogenol did something serious.like virus or damaged my immune.i have anxiety,mood swings too.

i forgot to say.the first days i had runny nose all the time.and sneezing.and flu like symptoms.and that subsided.like my immune accepted this.and doesnt do anything for it.and in the beggining i had decreased appetite.now i have normal-increased but i crave carbs.and i have gone from premature ejaculation to normal ejaculation.but this is maybe thyroid related.because it doesnt get into cells.i developed eczema too

Last edited:

Martial

Maybe you had an underlying infection or virus that was activated around the time you took the supplements? It seems unlikely to have an ongoing allergic response to the supplements that still has not resolved. The supplements might have attacked it enough to take over your immune system..

I had the same thing happen when I got antibiotics for a sinus infection and activated an underlying lyme infection, doctors couldnt figure out why I felt so much sicker after taking the Amoxy, and Ceftin. I was having symptoms before then but they were not as disabling and I thought they were just from stress, finally got tested and came back with the antibodies of active infection for Lyme.

adreno

PR activist
I find it unlikely that those supplements would cause you fever. They both have anti-inflammatory properties.

thanks guys.i also have dark circles under eyes.so i will treat candida which i am sure i have.ant take olive leaf extract and garlic capsules(odorless)and see.can a viral infection cause t3 not get into cells?
Martial can your t3 get into cells?

i read pycnogenol is good for allergies.so maybe inhibit th2(some sources says it increases th2 so i dont know).so maybe caused infection to get over.i hope that it balances again.

Last edited:
so i will try echinacea and astragalus to boost my th1.i think pycnogenol boosted th2 so decreased th1 and increased my already infected instestine and further lowered th1.and i will report

Martial

Don't jump the gun in deciding your infection too quick man, you want to treat the candida possibility but also be aware of other possibilites.. How bout some background of your health? Any exposure to any major chemicals, heavy metal exposures, infections in the past? Even carbon monoxide poisoning from having a poorly vented home can cause some of your symptoms. You really want to run through all the possibilites here.

Also not sure what you mean about the T3 and cell relationship that you are asking about, are you referring to thyroid hormones?

I don't have hypo thyroid issues that I am aware of but yes many underlying pathogens or infections can interfere with proper thyroid and hormone functions. I do have some weird hormone changes due to pituitary gland issues, probably due to having lyme bacteria in my brain and the toxins it produced messing with proper body signaling.. Hard to say there are many different ways that a cumulative toxin build up can interfere with homeostasis of the body or how underlying infections hamper proper biological function.

my health is good in general.i had methylation problems but i ressolved them and i was in good condition.but after these 2 supplements i got ill.only a little exposure of mercury.from amalgam fillings.i dont know about others.after the army i stopped sweating.in the army i drank water from the toilet.because i didnt have money back then(2 years ago).and i developed polydipsia since then.so something viral-parasite-yeast-bacteria in the water did that i believe.and pycnogenol lowered th1 and did increase viral maybe.thats my most logical explanation.i will try candida supplements.and th1 boosting.and see.i developed even more hypothyroidism since pycnogenol-taurine.and i started 100mcg t3 in empty stomach last month but it doesnt do anything.my cortisol is good.and my iron not deficient.maybe a little low.

and when i sit i feel warm.but when i stand i feel cold.is this showing anything?

Last edited:

alex3619

Pycnogenol, though I have not looked into this for a decade, has a bivalent response with respect to nitric oxide. It could trigger increased NO at a high enough dosage, leading to increased ONOO perhaps. However at lower and moderate doses it does not do this.

Th1 boosting is indeed probably a good idea for most ME patients, though there has not been any real research on this, and it remains speculative. Anecdotally and in theory it might help though.