• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cochrane Review (2008/2009): CBT for CFS in adults

alex3619

Is there in the literature one study that shows a significant and lasting effect of CBT for ME/CFS? (I do not even ask based on objective datas...) Or do the CBT defenders rely only on trials of that kind to justify the harm they're doing???

There are studies that show an objective, substantive and lasting effect for patients from CBT/GET. They are as subset of the studies showing no benefit or a worsening ... so the effect, if any, is to get worse.

The other studies use potentially highly biased subjective measures. The six minute walk test shows a tiny effect that is entirely expected, and leaves patients in the highly disabled spectrum which is reclassified to normal in some cases.

Some studies show temporary gain which is not sustained. In other areas of medicine this is often found to be due to bias. Not so here. Bias? No way! :eek: