• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold Intolerance but no fatigue!

Immunologist thinks I have Post Viral Syndrome??

Blood tests show past infection with EBV & CMV also have Herpes type 2, All other blood test come back normal, FBC, Thyroid.
Been ill for 13 months, symptoms include -

*** Feeling cold all of the time, 5 clothing layers on when outside even when 20°c. (Very bad in winter) ***

Very Mild shaking most of the time notice more when feel very cold
Mild red flushing skin
Pale skin
Right tonsil inflamed for over 8 months
Any breeze on my face/hands, sends me cold / chills, mild shaking & face to feel hot to touch but feel cold.
Sometimes forehead & eye lids feel ice cold
Sometimes feel a pain sensation on the back of my arms.

No fatigue, sometime a bit tired at night, sometimes get a bit of brain fog though.
Internal temperature is always in the normal range, I check often.

Does anyone else have these symptoms with no fatigue?

Last edited:

vamah

I have fatigue as well, but I was wondering about your "normal" thyroid tests. There is a lot of disagreement about what is considered normal, so you could be hypothyroid even if your lab says thes tests are in the normal range. When you say your temp is normal, are you taking it first thing in the morning? That is the best time to establish your basal temp.

Hi yes I take my temperature first thing in the morning as well as through the day sometimes. I was given my thyroid result which they did say was normal but cannot remember the number I will have to ask for it again. Do you no the normal range?

SOC

Immunologist thinks I have Post Viral Syndrome??

Blood tests show past infection with EBV & CMV also have Herpes type 2,
Almost everyone (90+% of the population) had a past infection with EBV and CMV. Many people also have HSV1 or HSV2. The more relevant question re: EBV and CMV is whether those infections were recent and whether they are chronic. If the infections were recent, that might explain the Post Viral Syndrome.

Very few doctors understand chronic herpesviral infections (EBV, CMV, HHV6) and consequently don't always interpret antibody titres correctly in the context of ME/CFS. Do you have the results of your antibody tests -- IgG, IgM?

Hi yes CMV was a new infection last year, which I believe has caused my current illness, there is no test to see the viruses are currently active. I got my results for IGG 12.63 , IGA 2.38 & IGM 2.49 they said all normal? over the phone but will ask for a copy next time in Doctors.

SOC

Hi yes CMV was a new infection last year, which I believe has caused my current illness, there is no test to see the viruses are currently active. I got my results for IGG 12.63 , IGA 2.38 & IGM 2.49 they said all normal? over the phone but will ask for a copy next time in Doctors.
Do you know what the normal range is at your lab? Normal range varies from lab to lab, so your numbers by themselves don't give a clear picture.

You might want to do some searching here at PR about chronic CMV infections. The best was to search for a short term like "CMV" is to go to the main Forums page, scroll down to the Resources at the bottom and do a Google site search.

Chronic CMV infection is known in ME/CFS. You might be able to get a feel for whether this is what you are dealing with if you read about other members' labs, experience, and treatments.