• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Common Variable Immune Deficiency

Sing

Thank you. I am finally being tested by an Immunologist and it seems that CVID could end up being a diagnosis, with my numbers and history. Still working on the "functional " testing, such as, how my body responds to Pneumovax. Whatever she ends up calling what I have (which is really ME/CFS as far as I am concerned), I have benefited from trying to read the article above. Couldn't get it all, but it does increase my knowledge. Thank you, merylg!

SOC

Scharenberg AM, Hannibal MC, Torgerson T, et al. Common Variable Immune Deficiency Overview. 2006 Jul 5. In: Pagon RA, Adam MP, Bird TD, et al., editors. GeneReviews™ [Internet]. Seattle (WA): University of Washington, Seattle; 1993-2013. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1299/
Yes, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I, too, am struggling to read the entire document, but what I've read so far looks to be very helpful.

I may end up with a CVID diagnosis soon also. I have low IgM, low IgG, and IgA in the bottom 10% of the normal range. I also have very low cytotoxic T cells. I think a question relevant to PWME is whether our immune deficiencies are the inherited form called CVID, or whether we have an acquired immune deficiency as the result of an infection. I wonder if the 23andme test identifies the inherited forms of CVID....?

Last edited:

Sea

I may end up with a CVID diagnosis soon also. I have low IgM, low IgG, and IgA in the bottom 10% of the normal range. I also have very low cytotoxic T cells. I think a question relevant to PWME is whether our immune deficiencies are the inherited form called CVID, or whether we have an acquired immune deficiency as the result of an infection. I wonder if the 23andme test identifies the inherited forms of CVID....?

I have low IgA and IgG at the lowest of normal range.

Here's an interesting article on genetic association in IgAD and CVID. Only a few of them are tested by 23andme though.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0012260

I find it really frustrating when there is info out there on snps and 23andme has so few of them.

My MSH2 gene looks interesting on 23andme. Of the 373 snps tested I have
131 homozygous insertions
10 homozygous deletions
5 no calls
4 heterozygous snps (one which is relatively infrequent at 6%) and
223 homozygous snps which I haven't been through yet to determine how many are the major/minor allele.

I haven't yet looked at how common any of the snps are (except the hetero ones) so it may not lead to anything interesting in the end but it's worth looking since it is one of the genes associated with immune deficiencies.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Yes, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I, too, am struggling to read the entire document, but what I've read so far looks to be very helpful.

Hi soc just tacking onto this thread as it looks similar to my situation at the moment. @Ema and @merylg might be interested .

Got results back from my gp of tests done by my immunologist but yet to see immuno. Will see him in 3 weeks time.

Some interesting changes to my blood work from previous tests. As you guys know, since shingles (side of head) episode at the start of the year i have been struggling. Rash on head has flared up once more that i know of and rash on lower leg i got with shingles onset has flared up several times. Abx and cortisol cream had minimal effect on it but acyclovir cream helped.

Usually my lymphocytes and subsets are slightly elevated but have all dropped significantly although all still just within normal range. The sudden drop is strange.

My immunoglobulins igg iga igm ige in the past have been at the top of the range or high. Recent test results are all highlighted and have dropped to the very low end of normal.

EPP showed total protein low normal and total globulin is below range. Albumin normal.

I don't know why but titres are never tested here but cmv and vzv igg says reactive, ebv igg igm non reactive (2002 igg positive?)

Urea and creatinine are high and have been in the past . Immuno wants gp to follow this up. My gp said this can happen with dehydration. I think this may have something to do with low vasopressin/adh as urine frequency and volume is heaps, previously measured it at 10L in 24hrs. Possibly related to orthostatic issues??

Also ASCA iga and igg are high and a biomarker used in chrohns , possibly a sign of inflammation as no gut issues .

Rheumatoid factor say <20, I gather is present but not significant, maybe another sign of inflammation . CRP and ESR within normal .

Tetanus antibodies are good so producing antibodies. Also first time in a while my neutrophils are within normal range 3.5 (2-7.5).

I will be interested to see what immunologist tells me. I'm not sure what to make of it. My fatigue has increased, maybe immune exhaustion occurring??

Cheers