• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cycloset/Bromocriptine Lowers NE.

Ema

So one medical mystery solved of why I crashed out so hard in August...and here I'd been blaming myself for too much exertion in hot weather, my sprained ankle and my poor, innocent new puppy!!

So bromocriptine lowers NE by 50 PERCENT. Perhaps that’s why I felt so unbelievably tired after a summer of feeling pretty great, my BP dropped and I got dizzier when I started it! And my doctor told me there was no connection between the two and it was coincidence...

I knew it had to be related because I started it on Aug 4, felt HORRIBLE (so nauseous I almost threw up in the car that first week) and by Aug 15th when we got Ivey, went to MI for cidofovir and I sprained my ankle…I was on my way to toast.

Thanks be to the bodybuilding forums where apparently they READ the medical literature from the 1970s. Apparently it is supposed to be a transient effect, but it showed no signs of letting up in me when I stopped it on Sept 2.

Unbelievable. Well, at least now I know what happened over the summer to help me crash. Wonder what Dr Kruse has to say about that? Funny it’s never mentioned on his blog musings about resetting the HPA…

Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1979 Feb;25(2):137-42.
Bromocriptine inhibits norepinephrine release.
Ziegler MG, Lake CR, Williams AC, Teychenne PF, Shoulson I, Steinsland O.
Abstract
Bromocriptine is a dopamine agonist that induces postural hypotension and can be used as an antihypertensive. The drug inhibits release of norepinephrine (NE) from an isolated artery by stimulating presynaptic receptors. In normotensive subjects it lowers both plasma and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) levels of NE by 50% and lowers blood pressure moderately in standing subjects and slightly in recumbent subjects. Through central and peripheral mechanisms, bromocriptine inhibits sympathetic nervous discharge of NE.
PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
what doses were you using?

I recently tried 1.25mg for a week, it helped some with energy and first 2 days i got a headache, no nausea or anything like that. Maybe i should have tried higher dose.

I stopped because i preferred the effects of memantine which i have read helps increase dopamine(in certain parts of the brain) and it also has other qualities such as increasing cortisol, lower tnf as well as nmda/glutamate.

I may give bromo another try down the track?

drob31

@Ema I'm actually reading how Bromocriptine can lower CRH and consequently ACTH drastically. Are you sure it wasn't related to the cortisol lowering effect rather than lower NE?

I'm researching it for hypercortisolism.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Ema, well since some of us respond well to things that increase NE that is a very good catch for all of us! For instance, strattera virtually eliminated my OI symptoms.

Sushi