• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Demonstration tomorrow at 11:00

Will you be able to join us?

• Total voters
DEMONSTRATE!
(please share widely)
There will be an ad hoc demonstration tomorrow (Jan 27, 2014) against the IOM contract and the HHS’s refusal to accept the CCC.

We will start protesting at 11:00 AM at the Judicial Square Metro Station (600 Fifth Street, NW Washington, DC 20001). I will be there at 10:45 AM to greet and organize people as they arrive.

At 11:15 we will march (with slogans! with chanting!) one block to IOM's building (500 Keck Street). We will continue to protest until shortly after 12:15 PM (12:30 at the absolute latest).

Jen Brea will be filming for "Canary in a Coal Mine." Her crew will be available before the protest to answer any pressing questions about appearing on film (please respect the crew’s time and remember that their main job is to film the day).

All protesters should agree that an IOM contractual definition will seriously harm patients. We agree that we should follow our experts in calling for the approval of the CCC as the disease definition. As a group, we fear the IOM will “consider” (read: include) information like the NICE guidelines, will probably prescribe exercise as a cure and they almost definitely will call this as a psychiatric illness, not a physical one. PLEASE KEEP TO THIS CENTRAL MESSAGE; IF YOU FEEL YOU CANNOT, PLEASE DO NOT DISRUPT THOSE WHO ARE UNITED IN THE FIGHT TO GET A REAL DEFINITION.

Those with seats inside need to go through security at the Keck Center no later than 12:30 PM for the meeting -- we will need to stagger ourselves so that they are not overwhelmed. There is a room to rest in for our use.

We may have people from a variety of ME/CFS groups, with somewhat varied viewpoints. We need to focus on our specific core message. We absolutely do not want to confuse onlookers and any press who may be present.

Please stick to the central message we agree on: "Adopt CCC, Stop IOM before it causes harm."

I am in the process of finalizing banners, but currently our messages will be these: "Adopt the CCC. Stop the IOM Contract" "Do No Harm" "Experts for an Expert Definition."

I’d love to know how many are coming. If you can, post “I’m coming!” as a comment so I have some idea. Thanks."

Anne Keith

If you have essential feedback or questions, please IM me on FB. I will only check this page tomorrow before I leave for the protest. It is going to be a busy and long night for me, with little time to spare.

Ember

Jen Brea will be filming for "Canary in a Coal Mine." Her crew will be available before the protest to answer any pressing questions about appearing on film (please respect the crew’s time and remember that their main job is to film the day).
Canary in a Coal Mine
5 hours ago
We are filming the IOM meeting and will be doing some short, voxpop-style spot interviews with folks attending the meeting. If you'd like to participate you can either find us there or, better yet, email jen@canaryinacoalminefilm.com so we can look out for you. (When you email me, you'll get a message saying your email could not be delivered. Ignore it – I am actually receiving them.)