• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Depression: Mental condition or gut disorder?

I haven't used antibiotics except the natural one Grapefruit Seed Extract (not to be confused with grape seed extract, and they are both often shortened to GSE). Grapefruit Seed Extract is also known as Citricidal.

But diet alone may sometimes suffice to correct gut dysbiosis. Give it the right substrates and the right bugs will proliferate and crowd out the bad ones, or to be more accurate, it will reach the right balance. Gut bacteria are mostly not completely 'good' or 'bad' - it's the balance that matters.

I may be wrong but I think it extremely unlikely to correct an H-pylori or Candida infection with diet alone---there are just too many byproducts from the infection to allow healing. Acetaldehyde from candida is very toxic and requires much work from the liver to detoxify.

It's true that it is about balance but better to eliminate the majority of problem bacteria and recolonize with good probiotics. I believe in food as the true source of our daily nutrient needs but strongly feel the gut needs help to get strong enough to fend off all comers.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I may be wrong but I think it extremely unlikely to correct an H-pylori or Candida infection with diet alone---there are just too many byproducts from the infection to allow healing. Acetaldehyde from candida is very toxic and requires much work from the liver to detoxify.

It's true that it is about balance but better to eliminate the majority of problem bacteria and recolonize with good probiotics. I believe in food as the true source of our daily nutrient needs but strongly feel the gut needs help to get strong enough to fend off all comers.

It may be the case that with a genuine infection some antibiotics are needed, but I am thinking more of dysbiosis - an imbalance.

There is some info here about treating dysbiosis that may be of interest.

BTW I got severe candida overgrowth from heavy antibiotic administration in hospital.