• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Detection of Mycotoxins in Patients with CFS

boohealth

He made a home visit and tested for contaminants. He's an expert. Just saying, it isn't always by default mycotoxins. Of course, it can be; or at the least, mold and its spores and toxins.

Forebearance

Who was it here that tested negative on the mycotoxin panel? This was written from Brewer's Q&A: "Negative test results in the urine mycotoxin testing could be that the person has a different mycotoxin than what can be tested for currently. - See more at: http://www.betterhealthguy.com/ilads-2014#sthash.63KqsBzp.dpuf"

Thanks, Skii. I had read that also. I tested negative on the mycotoxin panel, but I did have some small amounts of trichothecenes and orchratoxins show up.

Now that I'm doing this protocol, I'm having a devil of a time getting the toxins out of me. First I had to take a lot of molybdenum. Now I'm requiring a lot of potassium. I should probably go get my 23andMe results analyzed using that website that tells you your SNPs.

I've been having sweats also. And a few feelings of depression and anxiety. My brain feels uncomfortable, basically. Taking soluble fiber has helped. I'm guessing that I'm just not a good detoxer.

Last edited:

Christopher

Christopher, I remember someone on this thread saying that EDTA can set mercury free in the body and it can do more damage by ending up in one's brain. I've read other places that chelation has to be done carefully if one has a problem with heavy metals. But I don't know a lot about it. I haven't researched it because I haven't ever wanted to try chelation.

I bought some Johnson's baby shampoo which I was going to use instead of the chelating PX. I was going to put a drop of it into saline solution and aerosolize that. But the salt inhaler has been going so well that I've just been doing that instead.

Has anyone else experienced light-headedness from this treatment?
Youre using the salt instead of the chelating px?

Did you have any obvious sinus symptoms?

Yes a lot of congestion, often severe where I had to breathe through my mouth, blood clots, sinus pressure.

Mostly that has gone now- I do get a little stuffy but think that is more to do with allergies now.

Christopher

Yes a lot of congestion, often severe where I had to breathe through my mouth, blood clots, sinus pressure.

Mostly that has gone now- I do get a little stuffy but think that is more to do with allergies now.

I see - that's why I'm unsure if the sinus protocol will help me. I know I have mold problems, but I'm not sure if they are in my sinus or somewhere else.

Christopher

ASL provides specific instructions. Generally, the device is held up to one nostril while the other is held shut. The button is pushed in short spurts while the individual breathes it in through the one nostril. There is no need to pass it back and forth after each puff as long as both sides end up with similar amount. Some of the medicine washes back out the nose and is caught by the device in a seperate chamber. Some washes down the throat and just goes on down.

The need to blow your nose is inevitable, and it seems like the medicine is lost. However, it is not. I know this because the AphoB is yellow and will cause the nose mucus to be yellow many hours later. I have also used this device with the antibiotic clindamycin which is very bitter. This very bitter taste is noticable hours later, so I know it is still there.

I wonder if patients are also benefiting due to swallowing the chelator / antifungal, where it touches the throat and then the gut, as well as the sinus.

acer2000

So I am wondering, has Brewer (or anyone) been able to culture what is making the mycotoxins in people's sinuses? I'm curious what the agent is.

Also, what is the mechanism of the salt inhaler here? That the salt inhibits mold growth? Something else?

Ifish

So I am wondering, has Brewer (or anyone) been able to culture what is making the mycotoxins in people's sinuses? I'm curious what the agent is.

Also, what is the mechanism of the salt inhaler here? That the salt inhibits mold growth? Something else?

One major problem with mold is that it is very difficult to culture or otherwise test for. This is one of the problems wiith the Mayo Clinic study of fungal sinusitus in 1999 - it is extemely difficult for anyone else to replicate. So the answer to your question is that Brewer has not identifiied the exact organisms causing mycotoxin production in his patients.

Forebearance

Hi acer! I think salt is anti-microbial in general. You may be able to find something on the website of the Himalayan Salt Inhaler company. I tried it because it sounded good to my gut instincts. It was a way to see if Dr. Brewer's theory might work for me, in a completely harmless way that didn't conflict with any other med or supplement.

In practice, it feels very anti-inflammatory.

I sure wish that Dr. Lipkin would try to culture the sinuses of people with ME/CFS.

end

There was no mold smells where my ftiend with CFS once lived yet there was severe black mild growth in the walls and subspace. Toxic crap.

The RTL mycotoxin levels can go up after saunas, for example, as the test is measuring what one excretes in one's urine. It would be expensive to redo the test, but an increase in levels is possible (and has been seen) following a sauna.

And, I agree, it's still a positive result, and so, still a worthy target for treatment & avoidance.

Did you bring belongings with you from the moldy place (clothes, furniture, paper files)? If so, you could still be exposed.

Also, with some experts estimating that 50% of buildings are water-damaged, you might want to rule out mold where you are living now. An ERMI test on the dust in your home could help identify that. If you're among the estimated 25% of the population sensitive to mold, then a new place with hidden mold could still be a source.
I have been out of the house that tested sky high for Stachy and chaetomeum since 2004. I brought nothing with me. The house I am in now was tested 4 years ago and then I had the crawl completely seal with clean space and I run a dehumidifier down there at 35-40%

Thanks, Skii. I had read that also. I tested negative on the mycotoxin panel, but I did have some small amounts of trichothecenes and orchratoxins show up.

Now that I'm doing this protocol, I'm having a devil of a time getting the toxins out of me. First I had to take a lot of molybdenum. Now I'm requiring a lot of potassium. I should probably go get my 23andMe results analyzed using that website that tells you your SNPs.

I've been having sweats also. And a few feelings of depression and anxiety. My brain feels uncomfortable, basically. Taking soluble fiber has helped. I'm guessing that I'm just not a good detoxer.
I too had profuse sweating and horrible anxiety/depression. I had to stop the protocol due to my adtenal issues. It took 4 days off for the symptoms to stop. Restarting the protocol today and going to do it once every 3 days and try to add in 1 dose of charcoal, zeolite clay and CSM if I can work it in

My daughter and I were in to see Brewer a couple of weeks ago. We specifically were there to talk to him about our bacterial sinus infections that have been ongoing since August. The good news is that we now seem to be finally getting it under control, but it has been a significant set back.

We did talk some about his protocol for treating mold colonization. He emphasized the importance of staying consistant. Patients should treat every day or every other day for a minimum of 12 to 18 months. He had experimented with using Mupirocin but does not really feel it adds anything to the treatment. He had an interest in Mupirocin primarily as biofilm buster but it does not seem to be better than Chelating Px.

He now has his first patient in remission using atomized Nystantin, but he emphasized this was a relatively minor case.

So now his protocol is really simplified. Patients treat with Chelating Px and AmphoB. They swich to Nystantin instead of Ampho B if necessary. They reduce treatment if the die off is to great.

Brewer has written his paper and is now in the hands of a coauthor. He anticipated it will be published in the Toxins publication either in January or February 2015.
Ok so the antibiotic is now out of the protocol? I thought he was using to try and knock down staph?

That's concerning about methyl b12. I wonder what his source is for that. I just added large doses of it to my regimen ten days ago and have had horrible startup effects but also amazing immediate improvements in endurance, strength, cognition, and mood. Low doses don't cause an effect in me. I was hoping the methylation protocol would help the mold detox since I haven't seen any results yet from three months of daily Ampho b.
I worked on methylation last year after getting my 23andme results back. It was revealed that I could not tolerate methyl b12 because I already had too many methyl donors. I am supposed to be taking hydroxy b12 and adenosyl b12. Only place I have found the adenosyl b12 is dr amy yaskos store and seeking health

I worked on methylation last year after getting my 23andme results back. It was revealed that I could not tolerate methyl b12 because I already had too many methyl donors. I am supposed to be taking hydroxy b12 and adenosyl b12. Only place I have found the adenosyl b12 is dr amy yaskos store and seeking health

That's interesting about your b12. I need to get my SNPs before I delve into it anymore. I'm hoping it will synergize with the mold detox. I've left a couple of messages with Brewer about this but haven't heard back.

Do any of Brewer's other patients know his stance on genetic testing and methylation protocols? I'm assuming he thinks it's a secondary issue since he focuses more on input than output.

Ifish

That's interesting about your b12. I need to get my SNPs before I delve into it anymore. I'm hoping it will synergize with the mold detox. I've left a couple of messages with Brewer about this but haven't heard back.

Do any of Brewer's other patients know his stance on genetic testing and methylation protocols? I'm assuming he thinks it's a secondary issue since he focuses more on input than output.

Since Brewer's patients almost uniformly test positive for mycotoxins, he does not view this illness as a detox issue. The fact of a positive test shows that detox is taking place because mycotoxins are being removed with the urine I have not specifically spoke with him about the genetic testing. He once indicated to me that it might be possible to increase output but even slow detoxers will get it all out eventually if the input is taken care of.