• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Digestion Enzymes, long term use

optimist

I've been using digestive enzymes for about 6 moths now, and they are really helpful. I take them with every meal. I am wondering if there are any known negative effects of using digestive enzymes over longer periods of time, or is it OK?

The ones I am using containins the following per capsule, of which I am taking two for every meal:

Pepsidase 25.000 HUT
Amylase 9.500 DU
Protease 6.0 10.000 HUT
Protease 3.0 40 SAUP
Protease 4.5 15.000 HUT
Glucoamylase 12 AGU
Lipase 1.500 FIP
Alfagalactosiadse 100GalU
Pectinase 10 endo-PGU
Malt diastase 400 DP°
Invertase 325 SU
Cellulase 100 CU

NilaJones

I took DGL for several years, and when I stopped I found I had to wean myself off it very slowly, over several more years. That might have been due to its effect of increasing protective mucous in the gut; I don't know.

xchocoholic

I've been using digestive enzymes for about 6 moths now, and they are really helpful. I take them with every meal. I am wondering if there are any known negative effects of using digestive enzymes over longer periods of time, or is it OK?

The ones I am using containins the following per capsule, of which I am taking two for every meal:

Pepsidase 25.000 HUT
Amylase 9.500 DU
Protease 6.0 10.000 HUT
Protease 3.0 40 SAUP
Protease 4.5 15.000 HUT
Glucoamylase 12 AGU
Lipase 1.500 FIP
Alfagalactosiadse 100GalU
Pectinase 10 endo-PGU
Malt diastase 400 DP°
Invertase 325 SU
Cellulase 100 CU

Hi @optimist

Imho it's best just to try these to see if they work for you. It really just depends on your diet and digestive tract. Personally, at my age, 59, and knowing my digestive problems I see no choice but to take enzymes. I've been using these since 2005 or 6.

I vary my enzymes based on what I'm eating. For ex if I were going to eat anything that may be cross contaminated with gluten, I'd take dpp-iv.

If I wanted to eat beans, I'd take 1 or 2 Bean Assist with 300 GalU alpha galactodase.

Etc etc ..

Tc .. x

Last edited:

optimist

Hi @optimist

Imho it's best just to try these to see if they work for you. It really just depends on your diet and digestive tract. Personally, at my age, 59, and knowing my digestive problems I see no choice but to take enzymes. I've been using these since 2005 or 6.

I vary my enzymes based on what I'm eating. For ex if I were going to eat anything that may be cross contaminated with gluten, I'd take dpp-iv.

If I wanted to eat beans, I'd take 1 or 2 Bean Assist with 300 GalU alpha galactodase.

Etc etc ..

Tc .. x

Oh, yes - they really work. If I don not take them my stomach gets full of acid and then other bad things follow.

These are broad spectrum, so they cover everything - but they are also SUPER expensive! So I think I need to find something to buy from abroad, and suggestions are much appreciated!

@Martial Super to know! No, I do not have those.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I take NOW Super Enzymes. They are a major company here, so maybe international companies carry them. I think the capsules and tablets are a little different. They don't list the ingredients in the same manner, so it is difficult to compare them.

@Martial "As long as you don't have h pylori or stomach ulcers shouldn't be any issues."
I have HP - why isnt it Ok if i have it? cause proteolithic enzymes could further damage mucosa?

btw I had hard times with NOW SuperEnzmes. it increased the acid and bloating bit time. knowing if you have HP its important before taking supps.