• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do antibiotics affect blood tests?

Avengers26

I have a general question whether antibiotics affect blood testing. The blood tests could be for immune markers or to test for more infections etc. etc. Should one stay off antibiotics before blood testing & if so for how long?

My doctor found an active bacterial infection & would like me to take antibiotics for it. But, I am also scheduled to see another doctor to get tested for viral infections & immune markers etc. So, I am thinking out loud on what would be the best course of action. Please advice. Thanks.

xchocoholic

Great question. I don't know the answer but google had multiple credible links. I posted it just like you did. They appear to effect several labs.

I'm still reading the kantrowitz article. Fascinating.