• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anybody else now do this?

Hiya I've noticed since having cfs, though I can't remember at what point I started doing it.

That when I'm laying down or sitting I tend to clench my hand up into a fist, but with my thumb tucked in and I bend my wrist downwards.

As if say I was trying to get my fingers to touch the inside of my wrist, if that makes sense?! :confused:

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else does this, or if anyone could offer any suggestions as to why I might do it.....

Thank you :)

Mithriel

I have just seen this post, sorry

This has happened to me for many years and now it happens all over my body. Muscles normally exert an equal force so the pairs stay straight. When one gets weak they get out of balance, well something like that. It is what happens in things like cerbral palsy and after a stroke so there must be a nerve involvement too. There is a particular pattern to which muscle bends.

When I am paying attention I straighten my limbs out but they sneak back and stay that way when I am asleep. I have tied little pads of facecloth to my palms to stop my fingernails cutting my palms during the night.

It became really bad and disabling so I was put on baclofen which is a muscle relaxant and that helped as it is exhausting keeping muscles tensed all the time even if it is involuntary.

Also found that aromatherapy massage helps.

Mithriel