• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) really work or is it a scam?

Valentijn

He's got a good point about the CBT approach blaming the symptoms for causing the disease ... depression causes the depressed thoughts, and all indications are that the depressed thoughts aren't causing the depression.

Though he's somewhat wrong in saying it's the only illness treated like that - the same school of practitioners contend that our ME symptoms indirectly cause the disease by making us think we're sick and disabled.

place

Be Strong!
I did somewhat of a cognative training for sleep and it was very effective for the mind racing. It did not improve my sleep but it did allow me to shut off my mind so my body would go to sleep.

peggy-sue

In me, long-term, uncontrollable stress is what causes depression.
Mostly (pre-ME), it's been fairly straightforward.
I go nuts with anxiety, run around in circles talking to myself, can't eat, can't sleep, then wallop.
Full-blown clinical depression with full-blown anhedonia, when the negative feedback loop for ACTH breaks and turns into a feed-forward loop.

I really can't see cbt fixing that.:p It's organic.

Changing the situation to one where I am no longer subject to uncontrollable stress fixes it.

Or SSRIs, eventually.

My "negative thoughts" are all about reality.