• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does "Delusional Disorder" Qualify for ODSP?

taroki

Would anyone know if "Delusional Disorder" and "Anxiety Disorder NOS" qualifies for ODSP? Also mentioned on my ODSP form is "suicidal ideation, insomnia, depressed mood, agitation, beliefs about infested with parasites" and that I am taking Olanzapine for anti-anxiety/antipsychotic medication. On page 7 he checked off 5 items being in the class 4 category of requiring assistance from other person.

I also have a report from another psychiatrist stating that I have Bipolar Disorder but that was a few months ago and this current psychiatrist did not mention bipolar on this yellow form.

I am worried because I have suffered with Fibromyalgia/CFS, undiagnosed Lyme Disease, and everything else for 10+ years and after losing many jobs due to illness, spending thousands of dollars on treatments, I am now broke and have been working so hard to get better.

caledonia

I'm not familiar with the Canadian system, but in the US, you don't get approved for a particular diagnosis. I imagine it's the same everywhere.

So you have to show that the symptoms of your diseases make it impossible for you to hold a full time job. You do this by taking a functional capacity evaluation, which shows how pain and fatigue affect your ability to work, and a neuropsych evaluation which show how anxiety, depression, concentration problems, etc. affect your ability to work.

It sounds like you might have the psych part worked out already.

Hopefully, someone with Canadian experience can chime in.

taniaaust1

I dont know about Canada either but as caledonia said in most places you cant approved based on the level of your disability rather then the name of the illness itself (in Australia my cousin got disability and they hadnt even given her illness a name.. based on symptoms alone.. she's ME but undiagnosed thou).

Im glad you are aware that you probably have lyme.. I was about to say that when i read "beliefs about infested with parasites" which made me think you probably have Morgellon's symptoms going on. One study of those with morgellon's found that on testing that they all had lyme. Its sad that many lyme people arent being diagnosed and treated.

best luck in getting your needs met.

Undisclosed

@taroki

It's not the diagnosis that qualifies you for ODSP in Ontario, it's your ability to work. You don't have to be totally disabled either because they allow people on ODSP to supplement their ODSP with a very small amount in the hope that people can return to the workforce at some point. You receive 470 dollars maximum for housing expenses plus 603 dollars for other (food, transportation etc). If you are living with somebody with an income you likely won't get anything. You can also apply for CPP -(Canadian Pension Plan) which is also based on level of disability, not diagnosis-- the more you have worked, the more you get and it's not affected by living with somebody with an income.

taroki

Thanks, it's been such a long journey and I hope I qualify.

@taniaaust1
I have considered Morgellon's actually but I don't have those fibres coming out of the skin. I do have scattering and scabs though when taking anti-parasite meds, as if the parasites are trying to come out through the skin.

caledonia

I suggest getting a lawyer or other representative to file your initial claim, if possible. Otherwise, get one if you apply and get denied. They get paid out of your back pay, and only if you win. At least that's how it works around here.

They should be able to help you with gathering the right medical evidence and preparing your file in a manner that makes it easier to get approved.

Undisclosed

I suggest getting a lawyer or other representative to file your initial claim, if possible. Otherwise, get one if you apply and get denied. They get paid out of your back pay, and only if you win. At least that's how it works around here.

They should be able to help you with gathering the right medical evidence and preparing your file in a manner that makes it easier to get approved.

The most important part of the package is the form the doctor fills out == Health Status Report and Activities of Daily Living Index form. If he doctor indicates you are capable of working, the application will be denied. They will also subject you to periodic reviews if you have been diagnosed with something they believe is treatable or gets better over time.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
The most important part of the package is the form the doctor fills out == Health Status Report and Activities of Daily Living Index form. If he doctor indicates you are capable of working, the application will be denied. They will also subject you to periodic reviews if you have been diagnosed with something they believe is treatable or gets better over time.

wow, the doctors do that in Canada? In the US, many won't fill out paperwork and we have no designated doctor paperwork. The standard procedure is to have the doctors write a letter, but most of them don't know how to do this properly and it works out better if an attorney helps them.

taroki

hmmm ... my psychiatrist didn't fill out the Activities of Daily Living Index part. Is that ok? He also indicates that he has known me for 2-3 months.

Undisclosed

hmmm ... my psychiatrist didn't fill out the Activities of Daily Living Index part. Is that ok? He also indicates that he has known me for 2-3 months.

I would assume many doctors leave this blank because they really don't know what a patient is able to do on a daily basis. If ODSP requires this information, they will ask you for it. You could call your local office and ask them. There are many people on ODSP that are physically capable of working but can't because of mental health issues so the physical part is not a deal breaker.

Undisclosed

ODSP does not pay for individual medical tests as that is covered under OHIP. Igenex Lyme tests are not covered under OHIP. ODSP helps out with medical related costs related to transportation to and from appointments etc. They also provide a drug card that covers most of the cost of a medication (though there are some they do not cover).

taroki

Thanks for your reply Kina. I sent in my forms yesterday via Xpresspost.

Any ideas how long it would take to receive a response as to whether or not I qualify?