• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ebola after affects, it's causing a post viral syndrome!

taniaaust1

I think a lot of us will relate to this article in some way. Its making me feel mad that they are even considering that "stress" could be causing this

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/afric...-ebola-after-effects-2014121573521561384.html

I suggest to go to link and read full article but I'll cut and paste a bit for those who cant read much

Kamara is one of 40 percent of Ebola survivors to have gone on to develop eye problems, according to a recent study carried out by the World Health Organisation and Kenema's District Health Management Team. It has been more than a month since the district saw it's last case of Ebola, and attention is turning to the plight of survivors.

The results of the survey, a copy of which was seen by Al Jazeera, outline a raft of physical, social and psychological problems the survivors are experiencing.

Seventy-nine percent, for example, now suffer from joint pain; 42 percent have problems sleeping, while more than one-third of those surveyed experienced peeling of the skin. Many others reported problems with their reproductive system.

Post-survival effects
"There is so little written about post-Ebola problems," said Maggie Nanyonga, a WHO consultant working with Ebola survivors in Kenema district. "We don't know if it's the drugs that are causing it, or the disease, or just stress."

In a small room at the government hospital in Kenema, now known simply as "Psychosocial", volunteers busily transcribed forms with survivors' complaints. "Serious backbone pain. Difficulty breathing. Properties burned but not replaced," reads one.

"Ear and joint pains. Poor health with red eyes," reads another.

"just stress". Seriously the medical profession needs to stop this. Why cant they just accept that viruses can cause "real" affects in people due to some damage which has been done to the body or if they dont understand what it is.

"Tired legs and weakness. Cannot see clearly," reads a third.Health education officer Michael Vandi said the eye problems are of particular concern. "We just weren't expecting this. A lot of them are experiencing it, often combined with headaches," he said.

The head of the hospital's eye department, Ernest Challey, said he believes he has found the cause - a condition called Uveitis that occurs when the innermost coating of the eye becomes inflamed.

It is triggered by problems with the immune system, a viral infection, and sometimes trauma, he explained. It leaves patients with dim and blurred vision, and pain when they're in bright light. If left untreated, said Challey, it can lead to blindness.

I found that bit about the eyes extremely interesting as I wonder if that is what causes my eye pain with light at times (I cant handle a bright computer screen most of time) . I also get blurred vision at times. . Ive never have heard the name for this condition before. Who diagnoses "Uveitis"? When Ive been bad with my eyes, Ive never seen an eye doctor or been refered to one.

I suspect the peeling of the skin many are suffering as an after affect.. is probably due to all the chlorine which was put on it when they were in the clinics. Chlorine can cause dry skin etc. Probably damaged skin.. breathing issues .. possibly after affects of all the Chlorine fumes?. Trouble sleeping wouldnt be surprising either after being in one of those hell hole ebola clinics watching everyone die around you.

But I seriously wonder from the other things (joint pain, headaches and who knows what else) if these survivors now do have a post viral syndrome" and will they later be getting ME/CFS diagnoses?. Thou very unfortunate to them, Its interesting that they are getting new symptoms weeks later. I wonder where it will lead for them.. will they also go on and develop things like dysautonomia like we do?

Maybe something could be learned about ME/CFS from these survivors if researchers end up paying them any attention.

Last edited:

daisybell

I've had uveitis before.... Way back when I was a teenager... I didn't go down with ME until my 30s, but everything like this I read just strengthens the auto-immune picture for me.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Dr. Manny: Will you be the same person if you survive Ebola?

By Dr. Manny Alvarez

Published October 06, 2014
One area where we have where we are gaining knowledge as to the long-term effects of recovering from Ebola is the immune system.

Any time a patient survives a significant viral infection, the autoimmune responses that the patient undergoes could have secondary consequences on the rest of the body— particularly in areas that are quite sensitive to immunological reactions and inflammation, like the joints and eyes.

The general complaint by many of these patients is chronic body pain and severe joint pain— called arthralgia. In many cases, patients develop complications of the eyes resulting in a condition called uveitis. The condition causes patients to experience swelling and irritation of the uvea, the middle layer of the eye, which provides most of the blood supply to the retina. Symptoms can include blurred vision, floating spots in the vision, eye pain, redness and sensitivity to light. Most attacks of anterior uveitis— inflammation in the front of the eye— go away in a few days to weeks with proper treatment, but relapses are common. However, inflammation related to posterior uveitis— affecting the back part of the uvea— could last for months or years and may cause permanent vision damage, even with treatment.

In many of these cases, the patient would require anti-inflammatories, as well as steroid therapies.
One thing’s for certain for many of these patients -- they may survive, but they’ll never be the same.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/06/will-be-same-person-if-survive-ebola/

Sherlock

By Jessica FirgerCBS NewsJuly 30, 2014, 5:51 AM
Surviving Ebola: For those who live through it, what lies ahead?

But unfortunately, Ebola survivors do often develop certain chronic inflammatory conditions that affect the joints and eyes, problems that can follow a survivor through the remainder of their life. Dr. Amar Safdar, associate professor of infectious diseases and immunology at NYU Langone Medical Center, told CBS News these chronic conditions are a result of the body's immune response.
He said Ebola survivors are at risk for arthralgia, a type of joint and bone pain that can feel similar to arthritis. Ebola survivors also frequently report complications with eyes and vision, an inflammatory condition known as uveitis which can cause excess tearing, eye sensitivity, eye inflammation and even blindness.

"No one knows exactly why," Safdar told CBS News. "Certain infections or certain viruses have been known to cause uveitis. It is treated with giving steroids and primarily something that will dilate the pupil."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/surviving-ebola-for-those-who-live-through-it-what-lies-ahead/

Sherlock

Sherlock

Salient points of Ebola virus disease
Approximately 10-30% of patients survive the illness by mobilising an adaptive immune response, and there is some limited evidence that mild or symptomless infections may occur. Survivors may develop a uveitis and experience vague problems of abdominal pain, loss of hearing, impotence, psychological problems, chest and joint pain, and frequent severe headaches. A common symptom is profound, prolonged skeletal muscle weakness.
http://arabhealthmagazine.com/salient-points-of-ebola-virus-disease/

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Another article on it.
With post-Ebola syndrome there is an autoimmune response: it's revved up, and we don't really know why," he told Reuters by telephone from Sierra Leone where he is helping with the Ebola response.

It doesn't sound like it's ME, but the mechanisms could be very similar. One of the key reason it interests me is the amount of research money that is being thrown at it. Might end up helping us.

Bob

It sounds horrible. There do seem to be similarities to ME, but not exactly the same. I wonder if Lipkin could get any government funding to study it, and perhaps compare it to ME, thereby getting research funds for ME.

I'm waiting for some nasty individual, or group of researchers, to call it a meme or a first-world developing-world cultural phenomenon; A cultural sickness. :rolleyes:

taniaaust1

It sounds horrible. There do seem to be similarities to ME, but not exactly the same. I wonder if Lipkin could get any government funding to study it, and perhaps compare it to ME, thereby getting research funds for ME.

That's a great idea Bob, our researchers need sneaky ways to get their funding, thou he's busy right now doing that other ME/CFS study I think.

I'd be worried thou he could end up finding Ebola easier to study then ME/CFS. Hate to loose him to another disease even if it was ebola.

Last edited: