• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ecos organic paints

Does anyone have any experience using Ecos Organic paints (or any other solvent free paints)? I am looking to redecorate, but these types of paints seem quite expensive to risk such a big outlay on if they aren't all they claim to be.

Ecos Organic Paint say that Pwme 'happily use Ecos Paints without aggravating their condition', but I also want a paint that will provide good coverage / look good. If I'm going to react anyway, I'd rather spend less on a regular paint which at least I know will provide the finish I require.

Incidentally, along with paint charts They also sent me a brochure from a company called Biosis Ltd (which sell, among other things, zeolite air purifiers and magnets for Me/Cfs). I've never heard of any of these products, and although they sound great, it does make me wonder what the relationship is and if their paint claims are just gimmicks too.

Thanks.

brenda

I have used these paints and they are good quality but you need to put more coats on. You can buy ordinary paint with low VOC's and that is what I use now since my MCS improved with quitting gluten and eating organic. I have just put Laura Ashley paint on my walls and the quality is excellent with low odours.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, I have painted the interior of two homes now entirely with Ecos paints and I think they are great! No smell, great colours, a lovely natural matt finish and quick delivery with helpful staff.

Many of the colours look a bit different on the wall so I would pay for a hand painted chart. I have MCS and Asthma with plenty of bad chest infections and I would be happy for my husband to be painting with it when I was ill with this - it does not bother me at all.

Their 'gloss' wood paint is not very glossy and does not act like normal gloss - I have had to touch up the doors and frames a few times, but it is lovely stuff.

You need to be careful with storage though - too hot and it goes off, too cold is also not good for it, but we have only had one pot that was quite a few years old go off, so not too bad.

Regular paint is expensive these days as well - and even if they claim VOC free it still really smells strong to me and I couldn't be in a newly painted house with it for long.

A friend of mine is a big fan of natural earth clay paints and keeps trying to get me to swap as they are cheaper, but she faffs about with mixing it up herself etc, which I cant be doing with so I prefer to stick with this. You just need to learn how to paint with it as it's a bit different to regular paint, but I think well worth it.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
We used the Ecos wood varnish for the floors, its nothing like as hard wearing as the previous (normal) varnish.so be prepared for extra work in re-varnishing it regularly, but no smell and able to use the kitchen as soon as it was thoroughly dry.

justy

We used the Ecos wood varnish for the floors, its nothing like as hard wearing as the previous (normal) varnish.so be prepared for extra work in re-varnishing it regularly, but no smell and able to use the kitchen as soon as it was thoroughly dry.
I have to agree with this for the floor varnish - we used it throughout our house and it is not very hardwearing.

Thanks all, that's really interesting. I'll be painting in December/January so I won't be able to ventilate the flat much. Being a dark north east facing flat, I probably won't even be able to see the results properly myself until next (uk) spring ;)

justy

Thanks all, that's really interesting. I'll be painting in December/January so I won't be able to ventilate the flat much. Being a dark north east facing flat, I probably won't even be able to see the results properly myself until next (uk) spring ;)

Well if your flat is darkin winter, the Ecos paints will really make it feel warm and cosy - I love their colours. check out these two bits of my house -

Double Bedroom 2.jpg Wood Burning Stove.jpg

LisaGoddard

Hi, I'm in the UK and having a house redecorated. I was thinking of using AURO paints which are eco-friendly and made of all natural products. Has anyone had experience of them? What company would be recommend?
Any advice on what to avoid would be great.