• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EEG with Photostimulation causing severe reaction

Hi everyone, I haven't been able to find anything about this by searching the forum, hopefully I haven't missed it somewhere...

I had an EEG done a few months ago and although it came back 'normal' (yeah right - I just don't fit into their box!), I had some really strong reactions to the directed hyperventilation and the photostimulation.

The hyperventialtion made me twitch and jerk and have some convulsions, and squirm. But the photostimulation was really intense. I kind of expected it to be - I always avoid that kind of stimulation. It used red flashing red lights, probably some of you are familiar with this. And it made me lose complete control neurologically, and go into this physiological nightmare-state of hell in the body. I started sobbing uncontrollably. Afterward felt weak and exhausted and sick and had a very hard time moving to get up.

The technician emphasized that the reading was totally 'normal' and said no one else had reacted that way. I reacted similarly when trying to do a neuro-integration biofeedback program involving light stimulation at my doctor's office last spring, so I know this is a repeatable phenomenon for myself. Strobe light also mak me feel unwell, but not to this extent.

Does anyone know what causes this? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks.

taniaaust1

I can react severely to the flashing strobe lights and photostimulation of that test... it send me into twitches, jerks and feeling like Im about to have a full blown seizure. I dont show any signs of epilepsy thou (but I do show the abnormality found in ME from it!!!).

Make sure you have an actual copy of your results as Ive found they will often say the "non specific abnormality' of ME is normal even thou your test could be marked actually "non specific abnormality" or "no normal ??????" (sorry forgot the word). On another of my EEGs they blamed my abnormality on the drugs I was taking .. thou they didnt even ask to see if I was taking anything (I had doctors who wouldnt give me anything). So I actually wasnt on anything at all at the time.

Anyway.. get a copy of your actual result to check it for yourself as ME people commonly do show an abnormality with this.