• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

enteric coated p5p

girlfromeurope

Hi, does someone have experience with enteric coated p5p (coenzyme b6) or sublingual p5p?
I have a b6 deficiency but taking p5p makes my symptoms worse sometimes. I've read before that taking an enteric coated p5p is better. But I have also read that taking p5p is the same as taking unactive b6 because p5p must be converted to its old form to be absorbed.

Does someone find that enteric coated p5p/sublingual works better?

PeterPositive

You can take a look at this book excerpt

I take P5P exclusively in sublingual form (Source Natural) as I have malabsorption problems. It's been working fine so far, my dosage is ~30mg. I am waiting a lab result to see if I need more.

I have never heard that P5P must be converted to its old form, where did you read it? P5P requires B2 (actually R5P/FMN) for its metabolism. A lack in B2 could inhibit the work of B6, even by 60% according to the paper linked below. Hence the recommendation to take a balanced B complex to avoid these sort of issues.

Take a look at this document:
http://www.integratedhealth.com/downloads/VITAMINB6-Pangborn.pdf

cheers

girlfromeurope

'Vitamin B6 is absorbed in the small intestine and is dephosphorylated prior to absorption. This means that most B6 taken in its active form (P5P / PLP) will be converted back to its pyridoxal form prior to active absorption in the gastrointestinal tract. Once absorbed, it is converted back to P5P, its active form'. I've read this on on a lot of sites.

I ordered sublingual p5p, but yesterday I took some b2 with it and felt a lot better.

Thanks a lot for your help!! ;)

PeterPositive

'Vitamin B6 is absorbed in the small intestine and is dephosphorylated prior to absorption. This means that most B6 taken in its active form (P5P / PLP) will be converted back to its pyridoxal form prior to active absorption in the gastrointestinal tract. Once absorbed, it is converted back to P5P, its active form'. I've read this on on a lot of sites.
Oh, I see what you mean. I think Adreno explained it pretty well here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...or-b2-deficiency-in-me-cfs.15442/#post-249840
(and there are lots more details in the subsequent posts)

I ordered sublingual p5p, but yesterday I took some b2 with it and felt a lot better.
Nice :)

Cheers

Victronix

How do you know you have a deficiency? And if you got tested, how long ago was that, and what have you been taking to address the deficiency so far?

I don't know if it's the case with B6, but with B-12, if you have a deficiency, as soon as you start taking it, you often will feel worse.

But B6 is a very different situation.

I ended up with too much B6 and it was very uncomfortable -- awful. As soon as I totally stopped taking it, my symptoms were cut in half.

girlfromeurope

I know because of symptoms.(depression,pms, itchy scalp, acne, inability to absorb magnesium and b12)
I can't get my magnesium and zinc levels up(another sign of b6 deficiency)
I've never took high doses of b6 and now a dose of 3mg makes me go crazy.

Victronix

I would recommend getting your B6 levels tested before trying to take any more. The deficiency and the excess symptoms can be similar sometimes -- different people have different symptoms and things like depression, pms and itchiness can be from a lot of different things. I too cannot absorb magnesium easily at all, but had an excess of B6, and it made no difference. If you take a multi that has B6 it can quietly increase a lot without realizing it. The test is not expensive, although I don't know where you would get it done in Europe. It's definitely worth it to know for sure since B6 can really be awful if you have too much.

girlfromeurope

Thank you for your response.
I didn't have those symptoms before I started methylation and my magnesium was always perfect before that.
So I must have depleted some things.

whodathunkit

@girlfromeurope: I couldn't tolerate p5p until I got myself straightened out enough to take all the other methylation supps.

I haven't thought about this in a while, but I just remembered I also experienced anxiety and depression when trying take p5p before I got onto a balanced methylation protocol. For whatever that's worth.

acrosstheveil

i couldn't tolerate p5p either, i think i had severe copper dumping. started a multivitamin with b6 and i'm doing okay as long as i ramp it up slowly. i can feel myself dumping copper every time i increase the dose and copper dumping is some of the worst herxing i've ever experienced, so be careful.