• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Excessive B12 Levels, advice please?

lch1

A New Day, Every Day!
Greetings, I followed RichV (so sad he is gone) protocol for 2 years with great success. I have homozygous C677T mutation, but I rallied anyway and I'm quite active. So, I stopped the protocol about a year ago. Fast forward: I had central air installed in my house and I believe it pushed the musty 70-year-old rockwall insulation in my attic into my living space--I have been sick ever since (6-8 weeks now). I'm failing daily. I had tests done, bloodwork generally ok, but sudden rise in glucose, iodine is low and my B12 IS OFF THE CHARTS HIGH! I'm having a company remove the offending insulation and replace it with environmentally sound stuff. Does anyone have an opinion as to the protocol--if I go back on it, do you think my B12 will go normal. I am taking absolutely NO b12 supplements, there is no reason on earth for me to have a 2000 pg/mL when the normal range is 211 - 946! Thanks you so much!!! Fire away---I'm listening!

lch1

A New Day, Every Day!
My liver values and CBC are normal, slightly high BUN/Creatinine level with normal BUN and serum Creatinine, so I think that's my normal dehydration.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Check out this link: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-vitamin-b12.10351/

There's a post by Rich V. in this thread where he explains that one can still have a functional B12 deficiency with a high serum B12. Mine was high but hair analysis showed almost undetectable levels of B12. My body is just not using it.

If you google "cfs high b12" you'll see it's common to have high B12 blood readings with CFS.

lch1

A New Day, Every Day!
Thanks, Mary. I started the protocol again and I think my B12 is just building up and not being processed. The thread you sent does reference the MTHFR mutation (I have TWO mutated C677T genes, lucky me). Also, Rich emailed me a few times on this. I think I need to stay on the protocol--at least when I'm in a stressed situation. Rich saved my life with his Methylation Block Protocol, it "cured" me of CFS--I was headed for assisted living. I hope I rally again with another round of the protocol. By the way, my iodine levels are depleted also--the only other off-range finding. Good health and have a good weekend!

lch1

A New Day, Every Day!
By the way, I'm not sure...but I think Milk Thistle is helpful. I started it a couple of days ago to try to relieve stress on my liver (giving it a try!) and I actually feel better. Maybe there is a relationship, but I do know that swelling in my face and orbital region has been greatly reduced.