• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fed up of waking up every night at 3 am

Valentijn

It worked well for me too for about 5 weeks. But I noticed that it increased hypotension somewhat. Then this has worsened. I don't know if having a big respiratory illness for several weeks now is to blame for the increased hypotension or the NAC. I cut back on the NAC one night with no change then cut it out the next, still with no change in my worsened hypotension.
I don't get hypotension from NAC, and not sure if it's even possible for it to cause hypotension (it's just an amino acid).

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Also, from post number 5 on the first page. I got my testing from 23andMe and I just following the directions of how to figure out your detox results but HUH? A bar graph with a lot of stange letters and numbers that mean nothing to me. How do I go about getting this interpreted?

Try asking in this forum.

Sing

I don't get hypotension from NAC, and not sure if it's even possible for it to cause hypotension (it's just an amino acid).

Thanks for telling me about your experience. It could be that my increased problem with hypotension right now has been caused by the long-running respiratory infection I have had. I laid off NAC for a few nights so far and nothing has changed with the worsened hypotension. Maybe when I am over this infection and well into recovery, my OI will go back to par.

MeSci

I'm surprised that you say this. Amino acids are powerful chemical compounds. I did a quick Highwire search and found lots of scientific papers describing effects from NAC, including this one which refers to it reducing blood pressure when administered along with arginine.

Sing

Looking up NAC and nitric oxide and hypotension, I found a similar paper but on the effect with rats. Heart rate and blood pressure went down with NAC, due to the increase of NO, nitric oxide, was the jist I got.

But, if you don't have hypotensive problems, but are normal or hypertensive, NAC might be a safe help as well as a good one. Just my opinion.

MeSci

In case anyone wants to search for the Healthspan 5-HTP products, the names have
changed - they are now called '5-HTP 100mg' and 'Night Time 5-HTP'.

I am thinking of taking this myself, not due to sleep problems but for current low mood, so have tried to find some more info. There is a good page here, which is on a site that looks very rigorous, thorough and impartial.

Marlène

I got a tip and it works (sometimes):

drink a glass of orangejuice + 3 grains of himalayan salt just before bedtime.

The sugar is to feed the liver and the salt the adrenals at night. That way you won't (easily) wake up from the adrenaline rush.

WoolPippi

for this particular sleep pattern I'm going to try supplementing with Glycine and Taurine, soon.
I fixed this sleep pattern for a bit through a course at the sleep clinic but as soon as there's stress in my life my liver has a hard time coping and I'm back to insomnia again.

So Glysine and Taurine for my liver. I heard it helps people to sleep too, especially the Glycine, so we'll see.
There's a lot of Glycine in gelatine, which my body often craves.