• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling much better avoiding certain foods

knackers323

I have recently noticed that if I eat a certai diet I felt much better. To the point I was able to do some excercise with no PEM the next day.

However from what I have been able to work out so far the diet is almost impossible to stick to.

It looks as though all I can eat is vegetables and that's it. I was feeling a bit better eating veggies and meat and then a day after cutting out meat I felt like I may have found the answer.

I haven't yet worked out if I can eat beans and nuts for protein yet.

I noticed my stool became a very light colour. I don't know if I feel better because it's altering the gut bacteria, avoiding food allergies, I have some problem with protein etc.?

I've also noticed I sometimes feel better after I empty my bowels.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

taniaaust1

Interesting. I think lots of us find that certain diets help us. Pity its so different for each person.

Have you had your gene mutations tested? I cant remember which one it is .. but one of my polymorphisms listed at the bottom of my post causes problems with proteins and it can be best avoiding them. Maybe you have that mutation (or maybe just meat is harder for you to digest? digestion takes up energy).

or maybe without the meat you are eatting more vegatables and getting enough of something out of them which you are deficient in. Have you tried juicing veg, at least the amount you are eatting now and having that with meat to find out if its the increased amount of veg which could be what is helping rather then the it being the meat itself.

I think this is a big clue to something going on with you if you can figure out exactly the why.

Last edited:

knackers323

Hi. No I haven't had them tested. But how are we meant to survive if we can't have protein from any source?

Yes it could be lots of reasons that it helps. The improvement I got from doing this diet was huge but it is so restrictive it's almost impossible to stick to

Daffodil

hi knackers. why not try to do the autoimmune paleo diet? there is a great cookbook I use. it is mostly salads and meat but has some great soups and such, too. I don't stick to it strictly, as I also eat rice and non-GMO corn.

I am not sure I notice a difference from the dieting but I have lost some of the weight I gained as a result of not being able to exercise for so many yrs.

I really think you should do the foodstats test from USBiotek and find out which foods cause inflammation for you.

Best of luck
xox

taniaaust1

I just looked up my mutation analyses stuff just in case you have this one affecting you and hence feeling better without meat. Its the CBS mutation. Could you be ++ for this mutation?

There are many things one may need to avoid with a CBS upregulation. Some of the items include garlic, broccoli, eggs, onions, legumes, meat, Epsom salt baths, alpha lipoic acid, glutathione, chelating agents such as DMPS, NAC, Milk Thistle, various other supplements, and much more. Please look to other sources for foods and supplements that are high in sulfur.
Supplementing with molybdenum may help as excess sulfites deplete it. Manganese is also important in ammonia detoxification. A Low protein diet can help as the body will have less ammonia to detoxify

xchocoholic

most of my symptoms are from food intolerances. Gluten=neuro and digestive symptoms, dairy= shiners and paget's pain/growth?, soy=phlegm and corn=sores on scalp

Are you eating healthy meat? I do hest with Organic and uncured.

Also digestive enzymes may help. I use enzymedica brand. Glutenease, spectrum, digest basic, candidas and virastop depending on what I'm eating or my symptoms.

Cfs and leaky gut have been linked multiple times.

tc .. x

tyson oberle

I have recently noticed that if I eat a certai diet I felt much better. To the point I was able to do some excercise with no PEM the next day.

However from what I have been able to work out so far the diet is almost impossible to stick to.

It looks as though all I can eat is vegetables and that's it. I was feeling a bit better eating veggies and meat and then a day after cutting out meat I felt like I may have found the answer.

I haven't yet worked out if I can eat beans and nuts for protein yet.

I noticed my stool became a very light colour. I don't know if I feel better because it's altering the gut bacteria, avoiding food allergies, I have some problem with protein etc.?

I've also noticed I sometimes feel better after I empty my bowels.

Anyone had any similar experiences?
I noticed that if I eat any type of meat/fish cooked or raw I get more nasal congestion. And I was only eating grass-fed, organic, wild not farmed, etc. Sadly I also get nasal congestion with all nuts, seeds (except sprouted ground flax meal I think), grains, dairy, starchy cooked vegetables and beans. Meat, fish, dairy, and grains are the worst offenders for me and it doesn't matter how many digestive enzymes, betaine hcl, betaine hcl with bile, etc I take. Recently, I tried some RAW sprouted beans and it appears that they don't cause nasal congestion for me. Nasal congestion means inflammation. The mucous membranes connect from the nasal passages through the entire gastrointestinal tract. If I have inflammation in my nasal passages then I assume I have it through out the GI tract.
Knackers if you are sure you feel better eating only vegetables then you have a valuable clue

Last edited:

Martial

I would think this more links to leaky gut then allergies that have been life long though. Vegetables won't cause much reaction getting through the gut barrier, however most other things will cause an instant histamine reaction based on the fact they don't belong in the blood stream. You do need protein and the various different amino acids, and micro nutrients from a varied diet to stay healthy though.

Maybe try the paleo auto immune diet like another poster mentioned and work on really healing that gut?

Seven7

Seven
@knackers323 Just a thoguht, I wasnt allergic to ALL meat per say but to the seasoning I was using (celery, garlic.....) so I advice you to test, I would of swear It was certain things and turn out to be things that I ate with it.

I was allergic to beef and Crab and others but Once I re-desing my seasening for chicken I was ok to eat it.

It might be calories. My symptoms are significantly worse (foggy head, fatigue, stomach pains etc) if I don't keep my calories down. Eating only veg would definitely reduce your calories.