• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

floaters in my eye

daisybell

Has anyone else had problems with floaters and/or uveitis associated with their ME?
I have just been diagnosed with multiple floaters in one of my eyes - apparently far exceeding what is normal for my age. I am very short-sighted but am wondering if this could be an auto-immune issue and if so, is the ME the culprit?
I found the following info (on Wikipedia):
Onset of Uveitis can broadly be described as a failure of the Ocular immune system and the disease results from inflammation and tissue destruction. Uveitis is driven by the Th17 T cell sub-population that bear T-cell receptors specific for proteins found in the eye.[9]These are often not deleted centrally whether due to ocular antigen not being presented in the thymus (therefore not negatively selected) or a state of anergy is induced to prevent self targeting.[10][11]

Autoreactive T cells must normally be held in check by the suppressive environment produced by Microglia and dendritic cells in the eye.[12] These cells produce large amounts of TGF beta and other suppressive cytokines, including IL-10, to prevent damage to the eye by reducing inflammation and causing T cells to differentiate to inducible T reg cells. Innate immune stimulation by bacteria and cellular stress is normally suppressed by myeloid suppression while inducible Treg cells prevent activation and clonal expansion of the autoreactive Th1 and Th17 cells that possess potential to cause damage to the eye.

Whether through infection or other causes, this balance can be upset and autoreactive T cells allowed to proliferate and migrate to the eye. Upon entry to the eye, these cells may be returned to an inducible Treg state by the presence of IL-10 and TGF-beta from microglia. Failure of this mechanism leads to neutrophil and other leukocyte recruitment from the peripheral blood through IL-17secretion. Tissue destruction is mediated by non-specific macrophage activation and the resulting cytokine cascades.[13] Serum TNF-α is significantly elevated in cases while IL-6 and IL-8 are present in significantly higher quantities in the Aqueous humour in patients with both quiescent and active uveitis.[14] These are inflammatory markers that non-specifically activate local macrophages causing tissue damage.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Andrew

Have you seen an ophthalmologist? I have only a single floater, but it was attributed to a vitreous detachment I didn't know about.

daisybell

Yes, I just saw a consultant ophthalmologist and a retinal surgeon today through an acute eye clinic. I have to go back in two weeks. They both said that my eye looks like that of someone 20 years older than me.... And they were surprised at the amount of 'debris' floating around, which apparently looks like white cell debris.

I experienced pain, itching, dry dry eyes and floaters a few years ago. Ended up needing retinal surgery after cataract removal in one eye. I felt some relief by using anti immflamatory eye drops ( prescription)...but could not stay on those for long. Kind of goes with the dry mouth territory know together as symptoms of Shogren's Syndrome, I think. Please correct if needed. The retinal surgeon only shook his head sideways while looking down when I asked what was the cause.
Overall I believe this ME/CFS disease hits the whole body, every cell and the eyes are not left out.

daisybell

Thanks. It makes sense to me that it is related. It just seems unfortunate that the doctors don't seem to see it that way, although I don't know what difference it would make in terms of treatment...

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have DES and floaters. The docs eye saw seem to think it is age related for me.

They're annoying as hell. The small threadlike ones can dissolve but I have one that looks like a spider in my left eye which bugs the crap out of me.

Sparrow

I have an abnormally large number of floaters too. They multiplied rather suddenly around the time of the crash that left me bed bound. I've always assumed that was too convenient to be coincidental. But they're also certainly not the most frustrating of the symptoms I gained at that time, and I wasn't sure much could be done about them, so they've just been on the back burner for me.

Ren

I experienced floaters/flashes-of-light when I was first sick and had severe and untreated bacterial infections. In time (don't recall how long), these symptoms went away though. Hope others are as lucky.

daisybell

I have an abnormally large number of floaters too. They multiplied rather suddenly around the time of the crash that left me bed bound. I've always assumed that was too convenient to be coincidental. But they're also certainly not the most frustrating of the symptoms I gained at that time, and I wasn't sure much could be done about them, so they've just been on the back burner for me.
That's interesting. I am hoping that mine will settle. Thanks for replying!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I developed floaters when I reduced my vitamin A because it had been removed from the macular degeneration treatment formula. I then increased the A and the floaters have reduced to one in the right eye (so I was not happy to read Andrew's post).

Thinktank

I have DES, floaters, "moving tunnel vision", unspecific inflammation and light sensitivity. I have always believed it's linked to some kind of elevated inflammatory response. I've recently been diagnosed with chronic lyme so also got pro-inflammatory cytokines tested and some other inflammatory markers. IL-8 is extremely elevated like mentioned in the article from topicstarter.

Bringing down inflammation = huge improvement in all of my eye symptoms.
Supplements that have benefited my eyes most are DIET (exclusion of allergenic foods and IgG induced food intolerances), Vitamine A as palmitate (other forms were ineffective), krill oil and flaxseed oil WITH lignans.
Especially the vit. A palmitate did some remarkable things for my eyes. Unfortunately i had to quit all supplements due to ever increasing brain fog and i wanted to have a baseline before nutrient testing.
I will be adding the supplements as mentioned above back into my regimen soon, i'll update you on any improvements.

P.s. Ophthalmologists have been extremely unhelpful.
Sir, it looks like you have some kind of degenerative eye disease but i don't know what's causing it. I don't want to know about the latest findings and don't want to do advanced testing because then i won't receive my bonus from the insurance company. Supplements are bullshit so here are some steroid eye drops to cause further damage and some ointment to soothe the dryness. Good luck and don't come back, if you do dare to come back then i'll forward you to a psychologist and label you as a hypochondriac.

Last edited: