• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate and histamine issues

dannybex

I probably have been (slightly?) salicylate intolerant for a long time without knowing it. Now I know what it is like to crave foods that you are allergic to (almonds, coconut, spinach etc)

I notice that I do feel better after taking Mg...

Have you been trying Mg + B6? Do you have links/threads to recommend on the subject?

izzy

I haven't officially started it yet. I'm using niacin to lower my methyl groups first, then will hopefully start the b-6/mag combo in 4-5 days. Don't want to confuse things.

Here's a link to a post I wrote from three years ago -- the second link in my post still works. It talks about how magnesium is essential to help b6 improve sulfation:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/a-b-thread-is-more-always-better.11504/

dannybex

@dannybex do you have high uric acid? Last time my uric acid has been measured was in December, and it was just above the "normal range". Since then I supplemented with molybdenum for a while, so I assume it is even higher by now... I would like to recommend this interesting discussion:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ylate-inhibits-mast-cell-degranulation.30056/

izzy

I don't think I do. But have had high urea in the past. Here's another link re b-6/mag in autism. Many kids w/autism have issues with phenols/salicylates and poor sulfation:
http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/0006-3223(85)90019-8/abstract

Gondwanaland

@dannybex Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

One thing that makes me confused when I read about autism is the recommendation of Epsom Salts. I don't tolerate them. In fact, once I ended up in ER after an Epsom salts foot bath. Do you tolerate them well?

I tried to exclude high sulfur from my diet, but it wasn't it. The real troubles for me definetey are nitrate and salicylate.

dannybex

I'm not sure if I have a problem w/them or not, but I think I do. If you 'google' that, you'll find that others do as well. They suggest starting with tiny amounts.

Gondwanaland

Thanks, @dannybex !

One thing that might have worsened my salicylate sensitivity is the fact that I upped my biotin intake w/o upping my B6 accordingly ( @whodathunkit ). I will try to fix that next. And of course the Mg intake as well.

izzy

dannybex

Thanks, @dannybex !

One thing that might have worsened my salicylate sensitivity is the fact that I upped my biotin intake w/o upping my B6 accordingly ( @whodathunkit ). I will try to fix that next. And of course the Mg intake as well.

izzy
What's the biotin - b6 connection??? I've been taking biotin 1000mcgs, 3 times a day for years. !!! ???

dannybex

Okay, interesting. I've seen that site many times. Frustrating that he leaves the info out there, but doesn't explain how he came to those conclusions. In other words, what kind of testing did he use -- I'm guessing some sort of kinesiology, but not sure. Anyway, thanks. Something to consider.

Gondwanaland

@dannybex Yup, that site can be very frustrating sometimes, but I find fascinating to read between those lines and find out the connections. Yes, I think they do vega testing/kinesiology.

Do you have ammonia problems? Biotin is a protein catabolizer. I want to increase my Biotin intake but I think I have been experiencing high ammonia. Perhaps that is why more B6 is needed, not sure. Right now I am taking 500mcg biotin divided in 2 doses. Next week I will up my B6 from 30mg to 40mg and then to 60mg in the following week.

izzy

Gondwanaland

Again, I'm not a doctor, but from a quick search, it seems like biotin lowers ammonia levels. This is a case history of a child with biotinidase deficiency (the enzyme that recycles biotin), which found that giving him biotin 'normalized' his slightly elevated ammonia levels.

http://www.neurologyindia.com/artic...e=58;issue=2;spage=323;epage=324;aulast=Joshi

Thanks, that is good to know. Perhaps this might even be an undelying cause for my issues... I have been biotin defficient for 25 years.

izzy

dannybex

Thanks, that is good to know. Perhaps this might even be an undelying cause for my issues... I have been biotin defficient for 25 years.

izzy
Hi again @Gondwanaland ,

I'm revisiting this thread, as I think I may have been wrong about the methylfolate or folinic and b12 back in July/August. I say that because my 'allergy-like' symptoms have only gotten worse, and I think in hindsight that the cause of my worsening anxiety was instead elevated choline or acetylcholine levels from taking krill oil, which I had started about 2 weeks earlier (around July 17th).

When looking back at notes and my calendar over the past year or so, I think I was doing better on folinic and some methylfolate (and b12), and things got worse when I started any sort of supplement that increased choline (like lecithin, or phosphatidylcholine, or krill). A year ago and prior, I was taking folinic, and didn't have these sinus issues and dry eyes, goopy eyes, teary eyes that I've had now for months now. Started around May of this year, and got a little better, then worse, then even worse.

So…I may just try and restart tiny amounts of methylfolate, although I've done better with folinic, so might go with that (and mb-12).

p.s. Also, I just took a look at your hair test, and it seems like you had very high levels of aluminum and other heavy metals. They could be creating a 'false' low copper level, but not sure on that. Andy Cutler talks a lot about how heavy metals can 'skew' regular mineral levels...

Gondwanaland

p.s. Also, I just took a look at your hair test, and it seems like you had very high levels of aluminum and other heavy metals. They could be creating a 'false' low copper level, but not sure on that. Andy Cutler talks a lot about how heavy metals can 'skew' regular mineral levels...
Hi @dannybex , yes, I do have heavy metal issues and probably wasn't handling well the detox provoked by methylation. I have read a lot about Cutler's protocol in the past and have been trying to prepare myself to replace my amalgams in the next future.

Anyway, after a magnesium load a couple of months ago, now I can handle nitrates and salicylates again. Thyroid has also been involved BTW.

As you could see in my hair test, my iodine has been excreted in the hair, meaning that I wasn't able to use it for energy production (B12 deficiency/thyroid issues).

I have learned a lot about myself in the past months (the hard way :confused:) and am slowly establishing my ideal supplementation regime. I am glad you have been able to interpret your reactions too and wish you good luck and better health :hug: :thumbsup:

izzy

Gondwanaland

I thought the low oxalate group recommends biotin -- high dose too. ??? And how does it relate to b6?
I think RBC synthesis is being overlooked in many instances, including in the B2 AND oxalate discussions.

Last edited:

A zombie

hi guys!
i think i have a salicylate problem too and possible histamine and possible sulphur ;)i get my food and chemical test back tomorrow so will know for sure.On eo fly symptoms is a burning tongue, i can keep it in better condition sticking to low sals diet and possible histamine. I took all my sups out a few weeks ago, i wa son so many an so many were high in sals, so i stopped them all. except for a few , my adren-all (which i think is high sals, but doesn't seem to effect me, burning tongue etc) my thyroid, added LDN in 4 days ago and seem to be tolerating it when in the past haven't. Digestive enzymes and i think that about it.
I believe to have systemic candida ansi'm taking fluconazole (lyme too)anyways i added in bitten yesterday and my tongue has been burning ever since. Usually my tongue doesn't start burning till later in day and this morning woke with it burning. And then i read about biotin maybe being an issue?I'm definitely going to stop the biotin.
This is so frustrating.And i've lost a lot of weight too and cant keep weight on :(
on nights i eat low sals through the day i usually only have one or two night interruptions, lately it been more. I take seriphos usually around 230 when i wake and then the 4a hour i take activated charcoal.I know my liver need some serious attention and a lot of ppl on sals group said clean up liver and you wont be so intolerant to so many foods??
i'm going to talk to nutritionalist tomorrow about a liver detox. Just not sure my body is strong enough.also want to talk about glutathione but i have CBS mutation , not sure i can take glutathione

A zombie

also , nutritionalist think i'm under methylator and i'm taking the aren-all that has niacin in it