• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

for those of you that camped, where did you stay?

Aerose91

I'm heading out to the desert around March, probably staging in Moab then I'll go from there. I'm am 100% for disperse camping; I've always been an outdoors person who camped off the beaten path for long times, plus I HATE campgrounds. People with their RVs, WiFi (which I'm very sensitive to) etc.

I want to be away a little bit but I know the laws are that you can't camp for more than 2 weeks in a location before having to move. Has anyone found a solution to this? Or a place where they wouldn't be found? I'm cool with relocating occasionally but if I'm going there for months it would suck to pack up every 2 weeks

sorry no recommendations from me for a good camp spot.
But I'm wondering if you are adequately prepared for the extreme heat of late spring & summers in Desert country?
Could be a problem for weakened immune systems.

leela

I found this on a boondocking website:
"BLM LTVAs (Long Term Visitor Areas) allow stays of several months for a nominal fee.
We've only mentioned the USFS and BLM so far, but FWS (US Fish & Wildlife Service), USACE (Army Corps of Engineers), Bureau of Reclamation, State Parks, and State owned lands offer boondocking opportunities. Arizona for example has a permit available for a nominal fee allowing boondocking on State lands.

There are also boondocking opportunities to be found on private lands. Ranches and farms may have a corner of the "back 40" they will allow you to stay for free or small fee. If you find a spot you would like to camp that is on private land, it never hurts to ask. We've had good success in farm country asking permission to camp at nice areas near a river with good access for overnight boondocking...we usually share the space with cows."

I haven't looked at this database, and it looks a little outdated, but it might prove helpful:
http://boondocking.org/poi/default.aspx

Aerose91

@leela

That's really interesting and encouraging that some people may let you stay on their land. I'm going to look into it

leela

yeah, you could maybe even take out an ad on craigs but you'd have to vet for dodgy people! :eek::alien:
another idea that comes to mind is rural buddhist or other monasteries. i suspect there are ones that would be
open to letting you camp long-term for a nominal fee. wouldn't be so remote from people but the vibe would be serene.

antares4141

http://freecampsites.net
I just spent a winter vacation in Colorado and South Dakota. 3 weeks in February. Didn't notice much of an improvement when I left home (truth or consequences nm). Upon coming home got slammed. Tempted to leave again except I was working on the theory that snow on the ground and corresponding near zero allergins would have a benificial effect. A little late in the year for that. My conclusion is inconclusive. I also had just come off a course of abx which seemed to reduce my symptoms drastically. That's since worn off though. Too bad I didn't go to buffalo, ny. No shortage of snow there.