• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gaba/Glutamate balance, NMDA Blocker

Bdeep86

I have come to the conclusion after many years of living with CFS that my use of Adderall (a potent amphetamine) greatly offset my gaba glutamate balance. I dont' know if taking traditional supps that help with this will be enough. Has anyone been able to rebalance this or have they ever used an prescription NMDA blocker to address this?

Bdeep86

Really? I have tried other forms of magnesium with mediocre results. Also Mag tends to lower my cortisol levels. Do you feel this is significantly more effective than other forms of magnesium? Have you tried other things to block NMDA?

adreno

PR activist
Really? I have tried other forms of magnesium with mediocre results. Also Mag tends to lower my cortisol levels. Do you feel this is significantly more effective than other forms of magnesium? Have you tried other things to block NMDA?
Yes, it's significantly more effective than other forms of Mg.

Bdeep86

Have you used menatime before heapsreal? I am nervous about using something like that. Thank you for your feedback adreno, This is something I am considering getting.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i have used a low dose memantine 5-10mg and did find it help energy and cognitive aspects. I only use it for a few days and then take a break from it as i think the effects build up.

From what i have read it blocks inflammatory cytokines such as tnf alpha which many cfsers are high in, but the only way to know is to try things??

Bdeep86

I am definitely willing to try it, I am just trying to figure out how you take it, and all the aspects of taking a med like that.

Aerose91

I have a major GABA/glutamate imbalance due to ativan withdrawal. I have to be extremely careful about what I take because of extreme sensitivity but the only thing I have used which is safe and shows any effect is L-Theanine. GABA doesn't seem to cross the BBB and I have never used a glutamate inhibitor.