• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gathering info about SAM-e supplementation

zzz0r

Further to the research I am doing regarding the supplementation of methylfolate with respect to the wide spread at the dosages that people can tolerate, I am also looking at SAM-e as an alternative for people that are having a hard time to tolerate methylfolate until they are able to supplement with it as a precursor of SAM-e.

But until they are able to supplement with methylfolate it might be helpful to "get the systems spinning" by directly supplementing with SAM-e.

So I am making this thread and I am expecting to gather experiences and information from people that have used SAM-e. I am looking into at what dosage did they use, if they think that the absorption was good enough and if they had any side effects from it.

Thank you

Last edited:

cman89

I assume you are of low tolerance to methylfolate? If not, I suggest starting with it despite the tolerance problems , then look at SAM-e. If you are just starting methylation, period, then most trial run protocols do not include the sam-e in the first set of supplements. Methylfolate is included, along with the B-12's and mineral support

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I tried SAMe at the beginning of my work with methylation. At first I could only tolerate 50 mg but was slowly able to work up to 200 mg. Though I now also take 800 mcg of methylfolate, I continue the SAMe as it still gives noticeable benefits--mood in particular.

Sushi

ukxmrv

I have only tried Sam-e once and I think it was suggested by Rich VKB when I wasn't doing well in his first protocol.

I lasted for a week as I could not tolerate the effects on me. I felt much weaker than normal, poisioned and was having problems thinking and breathing.

ebethc

I tried SAMe at the beginning of my work with methylation. At first I could only tolerate 50 mg but was slowly able to work up to 200 mg. Though I now also take 800 mcg of methylfolate, I continue the SAMe as it still gives noticeable benefits--mood in particular.

Sushi

Hi @Sushi
SAM-e works great for me at first, then seems to fade.. I think that if I'm taking 5-MTHF & B12 at the same time, I'll have better luck...I also get some relief w TMG.

My question for you: is this too many methyls at once for someone w a CBS mutation?

Ninan

I've been taking 100 mgs of NOW SAM-e for a week and now 200 mgs for a few days and I'm noticing a difference. More energy and elevated mood, haven't crashed as bad as I should have after having overdone it a few days ago. Sure hope it is "real" energy and that I won't crash afterwards. Feel I shouldn't take more though since it's affecting my mood. Also wondering if it will stay or go away. Most things seem to work for a while and then lose their effect.

Hi zzzOr, I've been using SAMe on-and-off for a few months now. My experiences:

- 200+ mgs/day: great overall improvement in mood. incidents of episodes of agitation greatly reduced, along with their length and severity
- 200+ mgs/day: some peripheral neuropathy in fingertips, and an intermittent 'tender spot' on my right elbow
- 400 mgs/day: heart palpitations, muscle weakness and anxiety occurring at night(hours after last dose)

That last set of symptoms is the reason for my 'on-and-off' usage. Potassium and/or magnesium supplementation seemed to greatly worsen all three symptoms, and the neuropathy made me question the amount of B6 I was taking. Since restarting SAMe at 200mgs/day two weeks ago I've cut the amount of multi-B I'm taking in half, and have halted direct potassium supplementation. At the two week mark, the tender spot on my elbow and the neuropathy have abated.