• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GcMAF affects endocannabinoid system & deactivates macrophages

natasa778

apologies if this has already been posted and discussed ...

"GcMAF treatment was able to normalize the observed differences in the dysregulated gene expression of the endocannabinoid system of the autism group". That is the potentially very important finding from Dario Siniscalco and colleagues* (open-access here) continuing the increasing scientific interest in all-things GcMAF

Perhaps a little unusually given the meaning of the name GcMAF as a 'macrophage activating factor', "GcMAF was able to trigger overall macrophage deactivation in autistic samples". Based on looking at something called Ki67 involved in cell proliferation, authors reported "a decrease of 23% in GcMAF treated monocyte derived macrophages from autistic children as compared to untreated macrophage cells".
This reduction was also noted in the control samples too.

GcMAF Australia

Thanks Natasa,
did you attend this conference?
This works seems to be measuring CB2, which is maybe the same as CNR2.
CNR2 is expressed mainly in macrophages, so is consistant with a role of immunity/infection in autism.
A recent paper shows Lyme disease in autism.
Divergent Opinions of Proper Lyme Disease Diagnosis and Implications For Children Co-Morbid with Autism Spectrum Disorder:

http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(14)00233-3/abstract
This paper proposes that some children with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in the United States have undiagnosed Lyme disease and different testing criteria used by commercial laboratories may be producing false negative results. Two testing protocols will be evaluated; first, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA) approved two-tiered Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA) or Immunofluorescence Assay (IFA) followed by an IgM and/or IgG Western Blot test. Second, a clinical diagnosis (flu like symptoms, joint pain, fatigue, neurological symptoms, etc.) possibly followed by a Western Blot with a broader criteria for positive bands [1]. The hypothesis proposes that the former criteria may be producing false negative results for some individuals diagnosed with an ASD. Through an online survey parents of 48 children who have a diagnosis of an ASD and have been diagnosed with Lyme disease were asked to fill out the Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist (ATEC) before they started antibiotic therapy and after treatment. Of the 48 parents surveyed 45 of them (94%) indicated their child initially tested negative using the two-tiered CDC/IDSA approved test. The parents sought a second physician who diagnosed their child with Lyme disease using the wider range of Western Blot bands. The children were treated with antibiotics and their scores on the ATEC improved. Anecdotal data indicated that some of the children achieved previously unattained developmental milestones after antibiotic therapy began. Protein bands OSP-A and/or OSP-B (Western blot band 31) and (Western blot band 34) were found in 44 of 48 patients. These two bands are so specific to Borrelia burgdorferi that they were targeted for use in vaccine trials, yet are not included in the IDSA interpretation of the Western Blot.
GcMAF stimulates macrophages, I think in your blog it decreases their activity.

Regards GcMaf

Thinktank

My macrophage activity was 31% in January while the range for a healthy person is between 65% and 95%. My LLMD took another bloodsample in May to test nagalase, GcMAF activity, proinflammatory cytokines and some other stuff after 4 months of 25ng GcMAF weekly, i expect to receive the results within a few weeks.
The article worries me or maybe i'm not understanding it well enough. Does GcMAF lower or modulate the macrophage activity? I also have very high IL-8 which sometimes becomes even more elevated by GcMAF therapy.

GcMAF Australia

GcMAf is considered to stimulate stimulate macrophages in a way that they can deal with cancer and infections.
There can be an increase in other things bacause of GcMAFs activities.
My information is that using the GcMAF from Europe it helps about 50% of Lyme Disease people-
"Around 50% of patients are benefitting from it (no cures to date...) and this has been shown in objective (pedometer and neuropsychological tests) and subjective measures (e.g. Bell’s scale for CFS; SF36). Those that benefit appear to have a reaction to it from the first injection – more fluey, weak, debilitated etc. Those that do not benefit appear to have no reaction at all to it. That seems to be a rule of thumb at the moment. Several patients have become more debilitated after taking GcMaf. "
I can put you in contact with England if you Like>

cigana

@Sushi This is interesting, I wonder if the reason for your improvement is reduced cytokines rather than reduced nagalase. I think you did say yourself that you need a maintenance dose?
I wonder if you had your MCP1 and MIP1-beta measured before you started treatment and if so were they raised?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I wonder if the reason for your improvement is reduced cytokines rather than reduced nagalase.
IL 8 went up, I don't remember whether there were changes in other inflammatory cytokines. The level of IL 8 is the factor that prevents me from raising my dose.

I wonder if you had your MCP1 and MIP1-beta measured before you started treatment and if so were they raised?
Not that I recall, but it was a long time ago and I'd have to dig through old lab reports.

Sushi