• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting sick from satellite dish

Womble

Hello my friends, I'm having another EMF crisis and posting for some advice.

We have had a DirecTV dish for many years and it never caused me a problem when shut off at night. Recently, a family member signed up for a DirecTV on-line account so he could watch HBO on a website.

In theory, all this does is create an on-line registration where you can control many aspects of your account including channels, privacy settings, billing, etc...

After he signed up, the signal from the dish outside seems much stronger, the receiver box is whirring even when turned off, and I feel all the dreaded EMF symptoms such as tingling and burning skin, shaking tremors, aches and acute pain.

I tried a satellite reset and this seemed to help briefly, but then the strong signals start up again.

I called customer support to cancel the on-line account, but they said it can never be deleted, but only suspended. I suspended it but no luck.

As usual, its another weird EMF mystery, but I haven't stopped being in pain and haven't slept much in 3-4 days.

Not expecting much suggestions, but if you have any, I'd love to hear them.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't know how to help you with the EMF but I would really hound Directv. There has to be a way to cancel the account. What if you moved some place and no longer had it?

Seriously. I would call and ask to speak to a supervisor and keep going up the food chain until you get someone to say yes. I would tell them you will cancel your DirectTV service if they do not cancel this account so you can get back to what you previously had. It takes time and patience to do this but that would be the best solution for you I think.

I would also contact the FCC. This is not just because you made a mistake and changed your mind but it is affecting your health. (I wish I could help you because I'm REALLY good at dealing with stuff like this).

Mink

Womble

I got this message from tech support:

There should be no change in what your system does or how it works. By the way just so you are aware, the DirecTV dish does NOT transmit any signal, there is NO EMF radiating from it. It is only a receiving antenna.

Your DVR does run 24/7, and the hard drive is always spinning. Sometimes it is recording signal from the dish, but it is also possible to record on-demand content coming in from the internet. If anything changed since signing up for the online account, it would be the amount of data coming into your home over the internet as opposed to through the DirecTV dish.

Also, so you are aware, that dish is receiving everything that DirecTV sends all the time, regardless of what you subscribe to. The selection is done in the receiver, not in the signal that is sent to your dish. And lastly, with regard to your sensitivity, those signals are hitting your house all the time whether or not you have that dish out there (as are Dish network signals, cell signals from all providers, radio, television, police, fire, etc.).

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@wombie. I would not bother telling them about your health. Tell them you want to cancel the online thing and if they won't you will cancel your DirectTV service.

Talking to some clone in customer support is not what you need. You have to speak to a supervisor and if that supervisor won't help go to his boss. Keep going up.

All you know is since you did it, things changed. It's none of their business about anything else.

South

Yup, Minkeygirl is right on. Cut to the chase. Companies we pay our money to do not need (or deserve) explanations of our decisions. You are their customer, you don't need to beg, give explanations, etc.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I had a battle with Sony years ago (pre ME/CFS) but I was so determined that I ended up talking the a VP about the problem.

More recently I had a problem with my grocery delivery service. After endless futile calls to customer service, I started writing to the president of the company. It took 3 letters to her to finally get someone who had some clout to take care of the problem.

And there is a great sense of satisfaction of standing up for yourself. Go get 'em @Womble

Womble

Thanks, I will do so!

I'm still not sure why linking my DirecTV account to an internet login account has changed anything. I would like to know the reason for this problem, cause I'm feeling EMF or RF all the time now in my home.

Any theories?

Womble

DirecTV has agreed to delete the on-line account permanently, so we'll see what happens.

After they do so, I will try to restore the settings to what they were, and hopefully it can be returned to its original state before it was bothering me.