• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gingergrrl's Journey with Famvir

Gingergrrl

@zzz I am not feeling so great tonight due to significant muscle pain & headache but so appreciate all the info you have been finding for me re: magnesium and everything else. I am going to try to read through it all tomorrow and will let you know if I have any questions. I did want to respond to one thing you said though:

Last night, I got something caught in my contact lens, so I took it out, rinsed it in the hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution (which I somehow thought was saline), and put it back in my eye. Oops. One of the worst things about doing something like that is that your eye reflexively clamps shut, so you can't get the lens out or flush the eye. I eventually managed to do both, but boy, did that hurt. It wrecked my sleep and I'm still pretty traumatized today; the pain should go away by tomorrow, and my vision is unimpaired. But I'm wiped out more than usual.

@zzz I am so sorry that happened and wanted to see how your eye was doing today? I wear contacts when I feel well enough (which right now is 1-2x month) and otherwise just wear my glasses. But I can only imagine how painful that must have been and hope you are feeling better! :ill: ---> :)

Valentijn

Regarding magnesium, the lab accidentally (don't ask) tested me for mineral elements 2 years ago in whole blood, serum, and intracellular. Basically things were pretty normal in whole blood, though a little low on potassium and sodium on the low end of normal. Everything was high in serum, including magnesium, except zinc. And for the intracellular, copper was extremely low and magnesium and potassium were on the very low end of normal.

So my own experience would agree with Cheney claiming that serum values can be normal while intracellular has problems :D

I also find some magnesium helpful in keeping away the muscle twitches, though of course the amount I can take is limited by what my gut can handle.

zzz

@zzz I am so sorry that happened and wanted to see how your eye was doing today? I wear contacts when I feel well enough (which right now is 1-2x month) and otherwise just wear my glasses. But I can only imagine how painful that must have been and hope you are feeling better! :ill: ---> :)

Fortunately, I managed to pull my eyelid open within about 30 seconds and remove the lens, although struggling against the clamped muscle and the intense pain was a little challenging. Getting the lens out quickly and then flushing the eye with saline solution really helped to minimize the problem. I told Dr. Google about the situation, including all the details, and asked him about treatment and prognosis. He said, "Just wash the eye with saline occasionally. It will hurt like hell for a day, but then you'll be fine."

And that's exactly what happened.

Meanwhile, with this incident, I've found a new way to generate PEM. :):(
@zzz I am not feeling so great tonight due to significant muscle pain & headache but so appreciate all the info you have been finding for me re: magnesium and everything else. I am going to try to read through it all tomorrow and will let you know if I have any questions.

Sorry to hear that you're having a bit of a rough spell too! I really hope you feel better soon, and there's certainly no rush to respond to my posts. Meanwhile, @Valentijn's post reminded me of how much the magnesium has helped my muscles also. Earlier this year, I started developing joint pain in one knee, and then the other. The fact that it was both knees without an obvious trigger was a bit worrisome; I thought that maybe I was developing rheumatoid arthritis, which is not uncommon with ME. I worked with my physical therapist on this for a few months and made little bit of progress. Then I started using the nebulized magnesium, and the pain in both knees disappeared completely overnight. It has not returned. Other chronic muscle pains have either lessened or disappeared. So maybe we can get rid of at least some of your muscle pains, too! :)

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have found that the neuro-cognitive effects of high dose magnesium sometimes don't last a full 24 hours, but that the cardio-pulmonary effects do, which is why I no longer get those symptoms, even though I do just one nebulizer session per day.
@zzz, What cardio-pulmonary symptoms were you having?

zzz

@zzz, What cardio-pulmonary symptoms were you having?

The symptoms I was having can actually all be found in the symptom list of the dilated cardiomyopathy page at WebMD. Specifically, I experienced shortness of breath, a pain in my heart that felt like it was working too hard, excess fatigue at these times above and beyond my normal fatigue, palpitations, and dizziness. The symptoms in this list that I did not experience were swelling of the lower extremities, weight gain, blood clots, and sudden death.

One of the classic symptoms of cardiomyopathy that I had was that the heart pain and shortness of breath were often at their worst when I was lying down. But I couldn't sit up for long due to lack of energy. If I lay down long enough - generally from one to three hours - eventually the cardio-pulmonary symptoms would subside. Both the breathing and the heart would start to feel better at the same time.

Drs. Paul Cheney, Sarah Myhill, and Martin Lerner think that all true ME patients have cardiomyopathy. (It may be asymptomatic in many people, though.) In particular, Dr. Lerner found that 100% of his ME/CFS patients showed abnormal oscillating T-waves at 24 hr. Holter monitoring and 24% showed weakened function on the left side of the heart.

Various causes for this cardiomyopathy have been proposed, and it's possible, if not likely, that more than one of them is correct. For people with low blood volume, the heart has to pump more blood through the body if it is going to distribute as much oxygen and nutrients as it would if the blood volume were normal. This may be one reason for the tachycardia that is so common in ME. But since mitochondria are not functioning properly in ME, and half of the heart muscle is mitochondria, the heart has a hard time keeping up here, which is why muscle pain is felt in the heart. Another problem in ME is that the red blood cells hang onto their oxygen molecules much more tightly than in healthy people, and the result is cellular hypoxia. The little oximeter on your finger may say that your blood is 99% saturated with oxygen, but that doesn't do you much good if not enough of that oxygen gets into the tissues, which is what's happening. And those tissues include the heart muscle. So the heart, having dysfunctional mitochondria and lacking the amount of oxygen it needs, has its capacity to pump blood reduced. One of the implications of this is that less blood flows through the coronary arteries that supply the heart, and the heart gets even less oxygen and nutrients. It's a vicious cycle, and the best way to break it quickly is to reduce the load on the heart, typically by lying down and doing nothing, which is what ME makes you feel like doing anyway. In time, with a lesser load, the heart typically recovers. If even lying down puts too much of a load on the heart for an extended period, the heart muscle eventually starts to die due to lack of oxygen, and this is followed by cardiac arrest and death.

This whole process is very slow to develop, though, which is why many of us have had this disease for decades and are still around. Although I've had ME for 24 years, I only started getting cardiac symptoms regularly at the beginning of this year (aside from tachycardia, which I've always had when I've been symptomatic). Most of us end up dying of other causes. Yet those of us who do die of heart failure do so on average almost 25 years earlier than the rest of the population. So it is a serious problem.

Dr. Lerner thinks that infection of the heart muscle by viruses is a core part of the problem, and he has had significant success treating both himself and ME/CFS patients with antivirals. There's a fascinating paper about his work here; I think his work needs to be better known.

Well, @Little Bluestem, I've rambled on and given you a lot more than you asked for. I'm afraid it's a habit of mine... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
@zzz, I found your ramble quite informative. I think I have tachycardia, but it is asymptomatic. Will magnesium help tachycardia? I will not say more here because I don’t want to get any farther off topic.

I was especially gratified to see that you did not experience sudden death. :D

SOC

Well, @Little Bluestem, I've rambled on and given you a lot more than you asked for. I'm afraid it's a habit of mine... :rolleyes:
Mark Twain once wrote something along the lines of, "I'm sorry for this long letter. I didn't have time to write a short one." :rofl: Since ME hit, I have often found myself in a similar situation. I don't have the energy or cognitive ability to write concisely, or to carefully edit to leave out the rambling. I wonder if this is an ME cognitive thing? ;)

NK17

Mark Twain once wrote something along the lines of, "I'm sorry for this long letter. I didn't have time to write a short one." :rofl: Since ME hit, I have often found myself in a similar situation. I don't have the energy or cognitive ability to write concisely, or to carefully edit to leave out the rambling. I wonder if this is an ME cognitive thing? ;)
You and Mark Twain couldn't say it better ;)!
So I guess I confirm the tendency of rambling ;(.

Gingergrrl

Thank you to everyone who PM'd and e-mailed to check if I am okay and unfortunately I've been really ill from an over-methylation reaction on Tues. I posted about it in the methylation forum after it happened but am writing about it over here in my Famvir thread so I can explain in more detail, update it, and hopefully get some feedback from you guys how to proceed. This was one of the scariest incidents of my entire illness which says a lot.

I started methylation a few weeks ago first with Methyl B-12 shots and then added in 5-MTHF (capsules). I am compound heterozygous on MTHFR genes. I started the B-12 shots at 5 mg/ml and started the folate at 1/4 of a 2.5 mg capsule. All was fine for two wks so I upped the shots to 6 mg and the folate to 1/2 capsule and still fine.

Well, on Tues 8/26 (thinking all would still be fine) I upped the B-12 shot to 7 mg and the Folate to the full capsule of 2.5 mg. I ate breakfast and took my other supplements.

Within about 1/2 hour, I started to feel wired, agitated, jittery, shaky, and weird muscle movements that were out of my control. I was typing at computer and got sudden headache, felt like I could throw up (but didn't) and my HR went up to 140 bpm. Unlike other episodes of tachycardia which either occur during REM sleep or when I have a positional change (lying to standing- like POTS) this was totally unprovoked and just sitting down. I could not get my HR lower than 140 and it started to increase and I felt like it was going to explode and I was going to die.

Thank God my husband was home and he gave me 1/2 Atenolol (which I had not needed in a about eight days b/c no tachy) and he gave me potassium, magnesium, salt tablets & Niacin (which I knew from @caledonia can reverse over methylation.) God bless you @caledonia for posting this info in your guide. I expected flushing or a reaction from Niacin but nothing occurred b/c I must have had so much extra methyl groups for it to bind up. The Niacin made me incredibly sedated (I felt like I was under anesthesia) and slept literally the entire day yesterday and didn't even eat and missed my appt with my ND.

I called her to explain what was happening, and I'd never missed an appt with her in my life dating back to Feb, but she felt the need to charge me $50 for missing even though I was severely impaired due to the incident and unable to drive. I think I am done seeing her- but that is another story and I am trying to stay on track with my current limited cognitive functioning.

Today (8/28) I woke up incredibly agitated again where my body was shaking and my muscles were moving uncontrollably. My HR was up to 150 yet I felt as if I had to move around, I had so much energy (but it was a BAD energy) and felt terrible like akathisia. My husband was going to leave for an appt and I was unable to convey to him how scared I was but was so agitated that I threw my water bottle (not at him) and knocked over a small stand in our office. Nothing broke and it was not dangerous but it was so out of character for me and really scared me.

He of course canceled his appt and we tried to reach Dr. K. We left him a voicemail but didn't heard anything so we called OMI who said he was on vacation (which we hadn't realized.) OMI got Dr. Kogelnick on the phone (who is not my doctor but they cover for each other.) He was wonderful and truly a kind-hearted soul like Dr. Kaufman. He said that I had definitely experienced over-methylation and that the symptoms could last a full week! He said to take the Atenolol every day again and monitor my BP. He said that what happened to me is very rare and that "I should consider myself very unlucky!" (as if I already didn't LOL.)

He said not to take any methylation supplements for at least two weeks and then start off much lower. He said to talk to Dr. Kaufman (my own doctor) when he returns and also in the mean time to temporarily stop my thyroid medication as the over-methylation incident could be pushing me over into hyper-thyroid. I take a micro tiny dose of Armour Thyroid every morning for Hashimoto's and my TSH is perfect with it at 1.0 or lower. I totally agreed with him and e-mailed my endocrinologist to let him know what occurred and asked if I should re-do the thyroid blood test (which I had done 2 wks ago before starting methylation.) I know LDN (which I do not take) can push people into hyper-thyroid and I guess this can be similar in some cases. He said even if it makes me hypo-thyroid again, that is easier to fix than the opposite and even at my worst, I was only borderline hypothyroid.

I was also supposed to have an appt with a cardiologist tomorrow who specializes in autonomic issues but I pre-emptively canceled it knowing it was unlikely I would feel well enough to go (and was lucky enough to get another appt mid-Sept.)

The worst part of this whole incident (over-methylation) is that it has triggered something in my brain that is making me feel incredibly depressed, non-stop crying, and feeling every loss that I have ever experienced and imagining future losses that have not occurred. I am back in the mode where I keep telling my husband that he would be better off without me and that I am like a weight around his neck that holds him back from having any real future. He gets angry with me when I say these things and he expressed that this over-methylation incident was a "battle" that I lost but that I can still win the overall "war" against CFS. Many times I am able to believe this but this incident has taken away a lot of my hope of getting better.

I had felt about a 10-20% improvement on Famvir (and have not missed one dose throughout this monstrosity w/the folate) and the improvement gave me real hope that I was getting better. But since the exercise echo, I have had pretty constant muscle pain, and now with the over-methylation incident, I have had terrible tachycardia (which I thought was gone) and agitation that is unbearable. I know it is out of character and not my true self but it feels so real and tricks my mind into believing that nothing will work, Famvir will not work, and I will be ill forever and my husband would truly be better off if I were gone.

I was an incredibly active, healthy person and a very hard worker in my career. I kills me when I think of all the years that I was in perfect health but was single. I got mono two mos before my husband and I got engaged and I have been sick our entire marriage and each month getting sicker and sicker. I have a 12 y/o step-daughter, who I am raising as my own daughter, and I am unable to attend her school functions, take her shopping, or do any of the things I envisioned doing and it is so hard for me to think that they would not be better off without me and allow them to find someone else.

I don't know if this over-methylation incident or detox is triggering me to have these thoughts but they are so intense and it is hard to fight them. I don't understand why I was allowed to find my husband and step-daughter and be united with them but then be too ill to participate in activities with them? I have accepted that my career is over, I have accepted that I will not have a baby of my own, and I have accepted that I am extremely limited with CFS. The level of functioning that I want is really so low, I would honestly be thrilled if I could get a 50% improvement and if I could participate in activity with them even once a week, it would be good enough.

Last edited:

SOC

Hang in there, Gingergrrl, this will pass. :hug:

It sure sounds like the over-methylation problem seriously messed with your neurotransmitters. You'll have to wait until the effect clears, but it will. Just keep reminding yourself that this is NOT the real picture of your life, that this chemical effect is distorting your mood, and that no action you take -- including telling your husband you think he'd be better off without you -- should be based on this false perception created by your temporarily messed up neurochemistry. It isn't who you normally are, so you shouldn't act on it. When the thoughts intrude, remind yourself this isn't your normal thinking and don't accept it as yours. Try to relax (hah!) and let the thoughts roll over you and off your back for the time being. Don't take them in and give them a reality they don't have. Yes, you'll feel bad, but you don't have to accept the thoughts as who you know you are, or act on them as if they are important enough for you to alter your family's perceptions of you or your future.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I don't know if this over-methylation incident or detox is triggering me to have these thoughts but they are so intense and it is hard to fight them.

I'd guess that it is very likely that this incident is triggering these thoughts. A "methylation event" like that can last more than a week in my experience, so I'd just "talk yourself down" when you start having these thoughts. Pretty likely that they will just "dry up" once your body gets balanced again. It is possible that your levels of SAMe (one of the essential components of methylation) were affected and it is closely associated with mood.

Take care, many of us have been through things like this with methylation. It can be a tricky balancing act. :confused:

Sushi

Gingergrrl

@SOC, thank you for your kind reply and it was very re-assuring. Something in my brain and body both feel very off since the over-methylation incident and I can't figure out how to get it back on track. I guess it is just a matter of waiting it out but I always feel like I need to solve everything and "Do" something. Dr. K just e-mailed me from his vacation (poor guy, he is a saint) and said he wants me to do some blood tests tomorrow and concurs that I should take Atenolol, stop the thyroid med until we do the tests, hold off on all methylation supps, and maybe take a muscle relaxer for the spasms & pain (which I have never taken.) I will do anything to make this feeling go away and can't believe that tiny little Folate capsule almost took me out!

@Sushi, we were typing at the same time and I didn't realize that over-methylation can lower your SAM-e. That makes so much sense to me now! Thank you also for your explanation and it was very re-assuring and made me feel less alone- that this has happened to other people before me.

Last edited:

SDSue

Southeast
Hang on, Ginggergrrl! So sorry to hear you're having such a rough spell!

When I crash, my emotions are the first thing to go, and it's hard to tell what's rational thought and what's just my brain chemicals going crazy. Hang in there until things settle back down - they always do. :hug:

This is a setback, and we all have them. But it's wonderful to have learned that methylation supplements are actually going to have an effect and that you have to go slowly. I feel encouraged for you and am thankful that you have a good team of doctors and family to help you out of this dip.

Onward and Upward, my friend!

NK17

@Gingergrrl we are all in this together, we are here on PR to catch each other when we fall :hug:.

I'm sending you all my best thoughts and feel confident that you are going to regain what now seems an awful amount of lost terrain.

You'll tame the Beast, I know you will, hang in there my dear.

I'll leave you by quoting a story from the West Wing (which I've never watched):

"This guy is walking down the street when he falls in a hole.
The walls are so steep that he can't get out."
" A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription and throws it down in the hole, and moves on.
"Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father I'm down in this hole, can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer throws it down the hole and then moves on.
"Then a friend walks by, 'Hey Joe it's me, can you help me out? And the friend jumps in the hole. And our guy says 'Are you stupid? Now we are both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah but I have been down here before and I know the way out.'

Gingergrrl

@SDSue @AndyPandy and @NK17 Thank you so much your your friendship and kind words. I think the hardest part which scares me is the feeling that I have lost ground that I will not be able to regain.

Last week although I had significant muscle pain, I had no tachycardia or shortness of breath without any Atenolol which felt like a miracle. I had learned that my issues were autonomic so I concluded if they were better without Atenolol, then the Famvir must be fighting the virus.

I also had increased energy from the B-12 shots (positive energy) and feel like I should have left well enough alone without adding the Folate and messing everything up.

Now I have tachycardia again around 140-150 without Atenolol which has caused the shortness of breath to return. Last week I was able to drive myself to several errands and get dressed, shower, etc.

This week I have not showered and either canceled all my appts or my husband had to drive me. Last week I felt independent at home with making my own food, organizing supplements, and this week I am like an invalid again and I hate it!!!

SOC

@Gingergrrl,
That's ME all over. :ill: It's not a straight line improvement. It's full of ups and downs. While we have to be grateful for the periods of improvement, it's not wise to rush them. Our bodies have a lot of healing and adjusting to do. Everything we add to make something better requires some adjustment period. And sometimes the treatment is a dismal failure and we have to recover from that. :eek:

My best advice is to stay at the level of activity you were at before treatment until well after you are stabilized on your current protocol and not changing any meds/supplements. Changing meds and changing activity level is a big demand on your body and ours aren't all that strong to start with. :(

ME doesn't change quickly -- not for the positive, anyway. :rolleyes: Patience is critical. You were seeing improvement, and are likely to again. You just had a minor (by ME standards) setback. It's the nature of the beast. Take it easy on yourself, physically and emotionally. It's far too easy to PEM ourselves in the excitement of feeling a little better, or to rush a medication/supplement plan to get faster improvement. That rarely works out well. Start low and go slow applies to meds, supplements, and activity.

Be kind to yourself. Rest through this recovery from the over-methylation and don't beat yourself up about it. Don't panic you won't see more improvement. That's unlikely if you take good care of yourself. A setback is not complete failure. Things will improve. :hug:

zzz

@Gingergrrl, I'm really sorry to hear of all your recent travails! Since shortly after my eye incident, I've been quite out of it, which is why I've been a bit sparse around here. (The eye is fine; it's the PEM that got me.) I was waiting to feel a bit better to write you, but since that's not going to happen before I go to bed, I figure I should do my best here. Fortunately, you've been getting a lot of wonderful advice from everybody else in this thread. As you can see, you're not alone in this at all, as we've all been through similar things. I'm sure that no one who has had this illness, no matter how much they have improved, has not had major setbacks at one time or another. They're just part of this package that we received C.O.D. But though the setback feels like a big deal now, once you're past it, you'll see it more in perspective. Unfortunately, depression messes with both our thoughts and emotions. One of the nastiest elements of depression is the very strong feeling that things will never, ever, ever, get better. If you buy into that, well, that's a very depressing thought, and you get even more depressed! But in reality, that feeling and the associated thought are a lie, and you just have to remember that.

I remember once when I had been taking a new medicine for a couple of days, I was shaving, and suddenly I got hit by the worst depression I ever had (before or since). It was so bad that the very thought of living even another ten minutes was unbearably painful (no exaggeration), and I just knew that this would be unchanging forever. But then the rational part of my mind woke up, and I had the following conversation with myself:
"Wait a minute! Did you feel this way a couple of days ago?"
"Uh... no."
"Well, what's changed in your life so that everything is so unbearable now?"
"Uh... nothing."
"So why are you so depressed?"
"Hmm... did I start a new medicine recently?"
Yes, I had, and though the PDR had mentioned nothing about side effects of depression or anything similar, I looked around some more and found that this drug destroyed serotonin. In other words the result was the opposite of what an SSRI does.

Knowing this, my depression made sense to me, and it was clear that it had nothing to do with anything happening in my life. Knowing that didn't make it go away, but it made it workable. Now I knew that this feeling was going to go away, and fairly soon, even, because I wasn't going to take any more of that medicine. So I just had to wait it out. At this point, the depressed thoughts stopped, although I was still left with that heavy feeling that's at the heart of depression. But without the accompanying thoughts, and with the knowledge that this feeling was temporary, it wasn't so bad.

You seem to be in a very similar situation. I think that @SOC's post #130 (right after your first one) is right on - it's virtually identical to what I would say. There's a wonderful book called Don't Believe Everything You Think, and I'm sure you can see how it applies here. A rather wise man once said, "You don't think your thoughts; your thoughts think themselves." Want proof? Sit quietly and stop thinking any thoughts for two minutes. I think you'll find that you can't. So if these thoughts go on regardless or whether or not you want them to, how can they be the real you? The answer is that they're not. But a lot of these thoughts have the words "I" and "me" in them, and so we reflexively believe them. That's where we get into trouble. We also mistake these thoughts for reality, and react to them as if they represent reality, when actually, they're just thoughts. So when the negative thoughts come up, if you can say to yourself, "That's just a negative thought; I don't have to pay attention to it!", and the same with negative feelings, they may continue, but they will lose much of their power over you. It's a bit like Alice in Wonderland, where Alice is fleeing from the soldiers made out of playing cards, when suddenly she realizes how absurd her situation is, and says, "You're nothing but a pack of cards!" At this point the soldiers didn't go away; the whole pack rose up into the air, and came flying down upon her. But now they were just an inert pack of cards, and no threat to Alice at all.
I am back in the mode where I keep telling my husband that he would be better off without me and that I am like a weight around his neck that holds him back from having any real future.

There are two things you can do here that will help a lot. First of all, recognize that the only reason these thoughts are arising are that your neurotransmitters are temporarily out of balance. Would you really want to lose your husband due to a temporary imbalance in your neurotransmitters? So when your mind is clear, promise yourself that you will not say that or anything like that to him, no matter how you feel. Also, promise yourself that you will do your best not to pay attention to such thoughts. That's harder, and you may fail occasionally; that's why I say "do your best".
He gets angry with me when I say these things and he expressed that this over-methylation incident was a "battle" that I lost but that I can still win the overall "war" against CFS.

He's absolutely right. You've got a good one there; hang on to him.
Many times I am able to believe this but this incident has taken away a lot of my hope of getting better.

Just keep in mind that your judgment is distorted by that neurotransmitter imbalance now, and it's going to have a tendency to make everything look hopeless if you let it. Don't. Listen to all your friends here telling you that it's not hopeless.
I have a 12 y/o step-daughter, who I am raising as my own daughter, and I am unable to attend her school functions, take her shopping, or do any of the things I envisioned doing and it is so hard for me to think that they would not be better off without me and allow them to find someone else.

That's tough when you feel that way; I know. But this is more of that subtly distorted thinking. Does your husband think he would be better off without you? No, he does not. Think about why that's true. Ask him why he wants to stay with you. And believe him.
I have accepted that my career is over, I have accepted that I will not have a baby of my own, and I have accepted that I am extremely limited with CFS. The level of functioning that I want is really so low, I would honestly be thrilled if I could get a 50% improvement and if I could participate in activity with them even once a week, it would be good enough.

On one hand, it doesn't sound like you're asking for much. Many of us would be thrilled if we could get 50% better. But you have to be careful of hanging onto that because to the extent you do, your current condition becomes less bearable, and you increase your suffering. The stronger you cling to a goal, the more painful the setbacks are. You have to start where you are (what else can you really do?), and be comfortable with that. That means not judging what your situation is, but seeing that it's workable. It was workable last month; it's workable now. Worrying about how things might turn out does nothing but drain energy; you can give yourself PEM just by doing that. And do you notice that when we worry about the future, we worry about many different negative alternatives, even though only one (at most!) can possibly come true. So worrying is basically just a waste of energy. It's much better to devote that energy to positive things, like getting better. If you do, you just might find that you can exceed your former goals without having to go on that emotional roller-coaster.
It is possible that your levels of SAMe (one of the essential components of methylation) were affected and it is closely associated with mood.

This is the first thing I though of too when reading @Gingergrrl's main post. I would just say "very likely" rather than "possible", since SAMe is so essential for everyone, and since it has such a big effect on mood.
@Sushi, we were typing at the same time and I didn't realize that over-methylation can lower your SAM-e. That makes so much sense to me now!

If you were one a decent dose of SAMe and suddenly cut it off completely, that could cause your depression all by itself. You said that your doctor wants you off the methylation protocol for two weeks. I'd recommend giving your doctor a call, telling him about the depression, and seeing if you could go back on the SAMe now. If he agrees, you could considerably shorten this rather painful experience.

@Gingergrrl, I hope this has been at least somewhat helpful; I'll follow up more later. But since it's after 6 a.m. here and I haven't even had dinner yet, I think I'd better wrap this up. And for those people who asked me questions earlier, yes, I will respond very soon! Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful support you've been giving @Gingergrrl. And @Gingergrrl, thank you for trusting us enough to confide what's happening with you. We all wish you the very best.