• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glenn Beck announces he’s been battling rare neurological illness

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I'm not really a fan of Glenn Beck but I did find this story to be interesting. Sounds a lot like the symptoms that many of us suffer from. I wonder what sort of "hormone therapy" he's talking about...

Glenn Beck announces he’s been battling rare neurological illness

The conservative pundit says doctors haven't been able to diagnose what's wrong with him

LUKE BRINKER

Conservative media personality Glenn Beck announced Monday that he’s been battling a mysterious neurological illness that not even top-flight doctors can diagnose.

According to TVNewser, Beck told viewers of TheBlaze today that doctors gave him another five to 10 years before he’d lose normal functions. His illness has involved seizures and bursts of excruciating pain, he said.

“My hands, feet, arms and legs feel like someone had just crushed them, or pushed broken glass into my feet,” Beck said. “The doctors tell me I haven’t had REM sleep in as much as a decade.”

-----

According to Beck, his doctors believe he “wouldn’t be alive today” had he not moved away from New York City. He said his condition improved this summer, thanks in large part to hormone therapy.

“My brain is back on line in a big way,” Beck said.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Here is some more info from the medical center that he received treatment from. Unsurprisingly, they made an assessment that seemed to indicate that he had various food allergies. I think the poisoning of our modern food supply is a huge contributing factor in our varied illnesses.

Glenn Beck Receives Poisoning Diagnosis and Hope at Carrick Brain Centers

Conservative, talk show host Glenn Beck visited Carrick Brain Centers last week and received some good news, some great news and some, well, not so good news. After years of struggling with health problems, primarily neuropathy – he didn’t know where else to turn. Finally, several friends who had received care from our team in the past encouraged him to talk with us. Glenn is glad he did.

-----

Time and again he was told that he had the symptoms of someone who was being poisoned – but no one could pinpoint the source. On his radio show, Glenn explained “I have been going to the Carrick Brain Center, because I have something that has been bothering me for quite some time that stemmed from my neuropathy.” He continued, “they ran all these tests and they meet with me yesterday, and they said, ‘Well, basically, you are being poisoned. Food is poisoning you.’”

-----

Neuropathy is a common condition that affects the peripheral nerves that deliver information to and from the brain. While the most common cause of neuropathy is diabetes, people can contract the condition for dozens of reasons. For some patients the cause can be elusive, as was the case with Glenn.

Without a cause, it can be very difficult to treat the condition. Neuropathy patients can suffer from a variety of symptoms, including: pain, numbness, poor muscle control, damage to body organs, sexual problems, bladder control issues and excessive sweating.

-----

And the not-so-good news? Since food poisoning is the culprit, Glenn needs to go on a very restrictive diet if he wants to ease his neuropathy symptoms. There are a number of foods that just don’t agree with his system, and ultimately, cause him pain. If he wants to get better – and he says he does – he’ll need to change what he eats.

Last edited:

*GG*

I'm not really a fan of Glenn Beck but I did find this story to be interesting. Sounds a lot like the symptoms that many of us suffer from. I wonder what sort of "hormone therapy" he's talking about...

I am, and he has millions of listeners, and his audience is very generous to many causes!

GG

PS Not sure he would be the best celebrity to our illness, he has made mistakes, he has owned up to them, much bigger of a person in that regard than lots of other blabber mouths out there!

xchocoholic

He listed his diet restrictions in an article in the blaze. He'll be paleo minus nuts and seeds and a few other things. Hopefully some of these restrictions will go away in time. I've never seen anyone advised to go on such a restricted diet. Alcat ?

The Carrick brain center dx him with adrenal fatigue. They have some interesting physical therapy techniques. I'd like to go to that clinic. ( Blaze article "Glen Beck reveals ... "

I'm looking for the hormones he's taking.

I haven't seen him mention fatigue yet. Mostly pain and lack of sleep.

Last edited:

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Just because it wasn't mentioned in the article doesn't mean he didn't have it. He may not have wanted to publicly mention some of the more debilitating aspects of condition for fear of harming his work potential. Also, there is a major stigma with telling people that you have chronic fatigue. People love to accuse those that suffer from it as just using it as an excuse to be lazy.

taniaaust1

I too am wondering if he is a ME/CFS case but who dont want anyone coming up with that due to how that is seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ren

It's been my impression that Beck gave a lot of air time/voice to the Justina Pelletier nightmare and the plight of Central/South American youth and that he works with some kind of charity/disaster relief group. He doesn't seem unsympathetic to me, though I'm only aware of him peripherally.

xchocoholic

If he hasn't had rem sleep in ten years and doesn't have some sort of fatigue then doesn't that change most of what we think we know about rest and energy?

I didn't take that part seriously because that info appeared to be dx after the fact. He would've needed constant sleep monitoring for all those years to actually know that.

He obviously has leaky gut if all those foods were making him sick. No telling where he got it from tho.

drob31

Who knows what he has.

I would hope that as a result of these experiences, he would become more sympathetic to those who have had disadvantage in their life, but he hasn't shown that so far.

Perhaps because he doesn't care about anyone but himself?