• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good Folic Acid Free B Complex?

Does anyone have suggestions for good folic acid-free B complex options? I've tried picking through the forums, but haven't had any luck with my foggy head.

I've recently started on Fredd's protocol and was taking separate Bs instead of a complex as I'm A1298c +- , but further reading suggests the dosages of the separate Bs much be creating too much need for K.

I haven't started LCF yet. I've on Methyl B12 and folate for a few weeks with some increased energy. Started adb12 yesterday to massive headache and anxiety. I'm planning on ordering in some Liquid LCF, given my tendency to anxiety and if possible I'd like to get an appropriate B-complex at the same time.

I live in NZ and supplement prices are outrageous locally, so I order in from VitaCost or iHerb. That helps, but I still have to pony up for international shipping.

Thanks,
Gyre

Remember that gut bacteria are major producers of B vitamins... they will contribute substantially to B vitamin status if your gut ecology is healthy. Dr Campbell Mcbride speaks on this point a lot, basically saying without good gut bacteria, B complex is always an issue.

Thanks. I've been Primal and having all the recommended fermented foods, gelatin, probiotics etc for more than a year now. I'm simply trying to find an appropriate supp in line with Fredd's protocol that will work with my SNPs.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Douglas Lab makes a good one: http://www.iherb.com/douglas-laboratories-b-complex-60-veggie-caps/37247
and here's another one from Pure Encapsulations: http://www.iherb.com/Pure-Encapsula...psules/51822?gclid=CP_czZTCmcICFRBgfgodaQgAjg
And Swanson Vitamins makes one too: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-activated-b-complex-high-bioavailability-60-veg-caps

It is unfortunate that more companies are not doing this, but it's a beginning.

What is LCF? I'm pretty familiar with Freddd's protocol but don't recognize that acronym -

Thanks @Mary . Those are very helpful. I'm inclined to go with the one with the least niacin, but I'll ponder a bit.

LCF is l-carnitine fumarate.

skwag

Nature Made B-Complex with Vitamin C is a nice cheap low dose B-complex without any type of folate. Just take folate seperately ( maybe P5P too ). Freddd suggested this about a year ago and I have been using it since. Just make sure you don't order the Super B-complex since that one contains folic acid.

Says folic acid and methylfolate. Why would they include the non active? Wonder if it's a misunderstanding.
Folic acid is much cheaper. Since they don't specify the amount of each, I assume it's 99% folic acid, and they just add a token amount of the active form so they can put it on the label.

My MTHFR gene is quite normal, so I take it anyhow. But I wouldn't recommend it for people with a reduction in MTHFR function.

I split some Doctor's Best B complex capsules which has quatrefolic, but the Douglas Labs linked by Mary is starting to look better to me.

Importing from iHerb was a massive pain with a huge surcharge from the carrier, never again.