• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair suddenly extremely oily- causes?

alice111

so for my whole life (and illness) I have been able to go a week easy without washing my hair.
Now over the past few months it is getting more and more oily, even the next day after washing!
What kinds of things could cause this??

halcyon

Assuming you haven't made any recent changes in diet or supplements (or even shampoo I guess) it's most likely hormonal.

Agreed with Halcyon, if there were any major changes in your diet or you have started a radically different supplement program, that could affect it. Did you recently buy a convertible? Haha.
Tip to reduce the oil, sprinkle some baking soda right near your scalp and gently rub it in. Great natural dry-shampoo!

snowathlete

so for my whole life (and illness) I have been able to go a week easy without washing my hair.
Now over the past few months it is getting more and more oily, even the next day after washing!
What kinds of things could cause this??

Yes: it's not just me!!! :balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:
I couple of years ago my head started getting crazy oily - mainly on my head, scalp is worse place and face quite a bit, and shoulders a little. Rest of me is normal. It's so bad that at times I have to have two (yes, two!) showers in one day because even a short while after washing I am getting oily again. I am not getting lots of acne or anything like that, its not like oily skin you get as a teenager - which I did get, but which was nowhere near as bad as this. I just don't get what is driving it, but I have been to the doctors and even managed to see an endrocrinologist. So far all tests have come back normal. (Why are there never answers?).

So you are not alone!!
But so far I have no answer as to why this is happening.

jann1033

Did you start washing your hair more often? Weirdly i find 'my hair seems to adjust to its washing , if i wash it every day ( like that ever happens haha) it needs it every day, if i wash it every 4 days it needs it then. Up to a limit. After 4 days i look like nick nolte in his drunken and disorderly mug shots no matter what.

Gondwanaland

I always had to wash my hair every other day or even every day sometimes b/c it was oily. Then I intensely supplemented magnesium and started to use baking soda to wash my hair and now I wash it only 1x weekely. I plan to go longer than that, but since I restarted eating yogurt I get dandruff, so I just have to wash it.

alice111

So to answer
1. No changes to shampoo or washing routine- I was able to go 1month without washing (yes one month!) then suddenly bam, oily. Now it's oily a day after washing
2. No changes to diet
3.only new supplement is rice protein powder, not sure how this could be involved?
4. My current theory is that the cortef I have been on for almost a year is suddenly too much for me, so this is a symptom of high cortisol.. Any thoughts in that?