• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Half a cold?

This is now the third time I've had it and was wondering if anyone else gets this. The back of my nose was burning a few days ago and I did the whole waiting to see if it was a real cold starting or just the ME.

It seems to have turned into a proper cold but now for the third time, it's only on one side! Its like there's a pane of glass dissecting the two halves of my body. One side completely fine and the other side full of cold: burning back of nose, runny nose, sore throat on same side, aching teeth and eye just on that side etc and the other side completely normal.

I keep waiting for it to take over my whole head but it seems to be a one sided cold again. Does anyone else get this? It's really weird.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
I don't remember the last time I actually had a cold but I've had the same deflected thing as you. Not every cold though. No idea why it happens but it strikes me that migraines are also usually like this. Migraines can also leave me all stuffed up. Wonder if there is any connection at all.

Yeah i hardly ever get colds either thankfully. Definitely not related to migraines or at least this isn't. I've suffered severe migraines for 30 years since i was 4 (twice a week for 15 years since the ME but only had this half cold three times in the same amount of time)

Its strange having an invisible barrier that it doesn't cross :confused:

Its strange because i never have a migraine during or before this and its on the opposite side of the head.

I've had stuffiness on occassion after a migraine on the same side which ive classed as part of it but a full blown cold with swollen tonsils etc i don't link at all.

Nice to know i'm not alone though

CantThink

I get sinusitis that affects one side - my right side. The teeth/eye are what makes me wonder if yours is that as say for example your right sinuses in your cheek (maxillary?) have a slight narrowing, you'd get the issue in that side and if your left side sinuses were okay you might be okay on that side... I don't know if I'm making sense (lol) but I just always seem to get blocked one side, and even if the left does get a cold, the right is always worse.

Thanks @CantThink it is just a normal head cold, which has developed into a cough now. (My own fault for leaving the house last week)

I was looking online earlier and it seems the half a cold thing is quite common (ish) and doctors say its normal just seems really strange that a virus could affect one side only.