• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has any Multivitamin Helped You?

JAH

Hi Everyone,

So my doctor recommended I take a multivitamin, and I lied and said that I did. Been planning to pick up a bottle, but am reading differing opinions, and considering my own experience where multivitamins have done nothing, and coming up empty in finding anything good/effective. What multivitamins do you use and do they help you?

Thanks!

JAH

Last edited:

Helen

Hi JAH,

I think most multivitamins offer too low doses of each vitamin to be of any value for most of us. And the folate form use to be folic acid that many don´t make use of, but you don´t have the so common folate enzyme defect. Also the B12 use to be cyanocobalamin. You probably need methyl-or hydroxycobalamin.

This product has been recommended in a methylation protocol
http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Basic-Nutrients-V-180-Veggie-Caps/18123?gclid=CKnartaqtb8CFfMgtAod03MAWQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

and this, that also contains minerals
http://www.holisticheal.com/all-in-one-multi-vitamin-mineral-120-capsules.html

Best,

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.

JAH

Hi JAH,

I think most multivitamins offer too low doses of each vitamin to be of any value for most of us. And the folate form use to be folic acid that many don´t make use of, but you don´t have the so common folate enzyme defect. Also the B12 use to be cyanocobalamin. You probably need methyl-or hydroxycobalamin.

This product has been recommended in a methylation protocol
http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Basic-Nutrients-V-180-Veggie-Caps/18123?gclid=CKnartaqtb8CFfMgtAod03MAWQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

and this, that also contains minerals
http://www.holisticheal.com/all-in-one-multi-vitamin-mineral-120-capsules.html

Best,

Thanks Helen,

I remember that some folks do like the Thorne multi - noticed this new Thorne multi at iherb, it contains
  • 1,000 mcg of B12 as methylcobalamin
  • 800 mcg of folate as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF)
Any thoughts?

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Researc...n-US&w=Thorne multivitamin&rc=17&sr=null&ic=7

Thanks, J

Gingergrrl

@JAH multivitamins have always made me nauseous and contained things in them that my ND felt I did not need or could even make me worse. So we opted for a bunch of individual supplements (often the liposomal versions) even though more expensive that way. I have not done 23andMe yet (the kit is on the way) and still do not understand the methylation stuff so I am the wrong person to ask in that regard.

Helen

Thanks Helen,

I remember that some folks do like the Thorne multi - noticed this new Thorne multi at iherb, it contains
Any thoughts?

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Medipro-Multi-Complete-Without-Iron-90-Veggie-Caps/57115#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=Thorne multivitamin&rc=17&sr=null&ic=7

Thanks, J

As a base this multivitamin product have acceptable doses to start with. But many of the vitamins ( as C, D and E) are recommended in higher doses as a daily base. The same with the minerals (as Mg, Se and Zn). If one is too tired and sick to keep track of separate supplements , of course this is better than nothing. A B-complex is usually good to use.

But I think it is a good idea to start studying recommendations for the different substances and put together what is best for you. There will probably be some trial and errors to find out what you can tolerate. I can´t notice an effect from every single vitamin or mineral or..., but I know why I have to take them ; as co-factors or by-passing mutations e.g.

I am sorry but it would take too long time to go through all supplements and comment on the effect. If you use google you will find lots of good information about many kind of substances on this site.

Didn´t you have any MTHFR mutation? If not, the methylfolate 800mcg is probably enough, but you might need more B12.

optimist

This is an interesting thread! Seeing that I am not the only one having troubles with multivitamins. In my case I get depression, anxiety and a whole load of weird thoughts that makes me think things are opposite of what they really are...

it took me a while to figure out that it was the vitamins that caused it, and what a relief it was to cut them out. It was like a lot of rainy days, and the SUNSHINE! Haha :) Like @minkeygirl I need to take them individually.

Can I ask you how react to multivitamins what sort of reaction you get?

IreneF

Hi Everyone,

So my doctor recommended I take a multivitamin, and I lied and said that I did. Been planning to pick up a bottle, but am reading differing opinions, and considering my own experience where multivitamins have done nothing, and coming up empty in finding anything good/effective. What multivitamins do you use and do they help you?

Thanks!

JAH
I don't use them. When I did they didn't help. They are not medicines, and actually anything more than what you need is either wasted or bad for you.

The only vitamin I take is D, because it's foggy here, and because when I do go outside I wear sunscreen because I'm fair.

PeterPositive

B Vitamins are making a significant difference for me in terms of energy, mental activity, mood and sleep. I started them because of very high homocysteine levels. I then found out I have the MTHFR C677 +/+ mutation and a very messed up methylation cycle, among other things.

I have been taking this one for 6 months:
http://www.supersmart.com/en--Vitamins--Coenzymated-B-Formula--0540

It's sublingual and coenzymated, meaning that vitamins are already in their active forms, immediately available to work in your body. I also add extra methylfolate, methyl-B12 and a bit of Adenosyl-B12, but those lozenges can do miracles (relatively speaking) for me :)

Lillybelle

Thanks Helen,

Any thoughts?

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Medipro-Multi-Complete-Without-Iron-90-Veggie-Caps/57115#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=Thorne multivitamin&rc=17&sr=null&ic=7

Thanks, J
@Helen, @JAH thanks for these recommendations. My problem is with the price of both of these products. They suggest you take 6 of the Thorne V (180 caps) per day. I have trouble getting one monstrous multi down my throat let alone 6! And therefore, the cost of this product id $41 for 30 day supply. The second one is cheaper at $21 but still has only 30caps and lower dosages of your minerals.

My expensive Aussie pharmacy charges $25 for 50 caps- Tresos B which has more added minerals- unfortunately it only has regular folate 400 mg and cynacobalamin which I'm not too ecstatic about.

However I also have seperate oral Methylb and L-methylfolate and would prefer to take methylb sublingually rather than pill form. So think Ill stick with the pharmacist only $25 multiB and hope the small amount of cyano (100mcg) doesnt poison me :)

This is the only instance of about 50 products where my local Australian pharmacy appears to better value for money than iherb. Interesting :)

If anyone can recommend another multi without folate and cyano at a reasonable price and dose. like 1 -2 tabs per day and around $20- $25 month would be appreciated.
Best LLB

taniaaust1

Multi-vitamins were useless to me and they probably did more harm then good.

It turned out I had extremely high copper, it was so high, my levels were off the graph (I'd been off of them for years when I found that out), so obviously it wouldnt of been a good thing that I had previously taken them and they would of had copper in them and made my copper issue worst

Not only that, the folate in them was a form my body couldnt use (I have MTHFR double copy mutation). and the B12 in them is the wrong form for me (but I didnt know that at the time I was taking it, but the form I was taking was basically useless for me).

On top of those issues my body had with them, was the fact that the ones I did need eg molybdenum, vitamin D and some other things.. were in far far too low doses for my body eg I get deficient on vitamin D3 pills at the standard dose for deficiency of 2000IU per day (my deficiency gets worst on that)... I have to take at least 4000 IU per day. Same issue when I took the normal molybdenum dose with molybdenum supplements, my deficiency on testing after taking it for 12mths, it was no better at all (and that was on far higher doses then whats in standard multi-vitamins).

Its only the very very expensive special multi-vitamins have enough of some of the ingredients I need, but they still will have wrong forms of things for my body and copper in them.

cph13

Thank you for the rapid response. I too take individual vitamins..trial n error. I have found even THE Thorne discussed above has things I am not in agreement with. It would be nice to pop 3 a day to eliminate 5 or 6 but I guess that's not going to happen...well, not in my lifetime. Was hoping I cud find something for myself and a friend who's having a procedure done.
Any and all comments WELCOME. Thanks C

Last edited:

Goodness to M.E.

Some may find this report interesting:

TEST RESULTS
The scores and brand analysis of multi-vitamins, as mentioned in our story, are in Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements. A Compendium of over 100 Products available in Australia and New Zealand, written by Lyle MacWilliam BSc, MSc, FP. (Northern Dimensions Publishing, Vernon, British Columbia, Canada. Revised 1st Edition).

But it is not in bookshops in Australia. Go to www.uniprotools.com.au. You can order the book from that site by selecting Lyle MacWilliam's name on the left-hand side of the page. Price is $40 including postage and handling.

Nutritional Supplements sorted by score
USANA Health Sciences Essentials 73.7
Solgar Omnium 56.5
Thorne Research Al's Formula 46.9
Clinicians Vitamin and Mineral Boost 45.1
NFS Nutraceuticals Ultimate Sports Multi 44.5
Thorne Research Basic Nutrients V 44.4
Thorne Research Basic Nutrients III 38.7
Solgar VM-2000 37.9
Pharmanex Lifepak 28.1
Amway NutriWay Double X 27.3
GNC LiveWell Women's Ultra Mega 26.1
Pharmanex Lifepak Women 25.6
BioCeuticals Multi Essentials 25.3
Pharmalliance OxiChel 24.8
Neways Orachel 24.1
Solgar Formula VM-75 23.1
Radiance Multi-Power 22.6
Nutra Life Active Men's Multi 22.3
GNC LiveWell Mega Men 21.2
Pharmanex Lifepak Prime 21.0
Nature's Sunshine Supplemental Vitamins & Minerals 20.6
Thompson's Multifort 17.5
Nature's Way Mega Multi 17.1
Thompson's Immunofort 16.9
Nutra Life Active Women's Multi Plus 16.4
Eagle Tresos B PluSe 16.4
Nature's Way Women's Energy Mega Multivitamin 16.4
Pharm-a-Care Women's Mega Strength Multi-Vitamins 16.4
Bioglan Women's Complete Multi Compex 16.4
Pretorius Women's Live Better Multi Vitamin & Mineral 16.3
Kordel's Men's Multi (without Iron) 15.4
Nutrition Care Formula SF88 15.1
Blackmores Women's Vitality Multi 14.1
Metagenics Multigenics 14.1
Red Seal Women's Multi 14
Nature's Own Daily Multi Peak Performance 14
Mannatech GlycoLEAN Catalyst 13.9
Natural Nutrition Mega Potency Women's Multi Vitamin with Selenium 13.7
Nature's Sunshine Mega-Chel 13.5
Metagenics Multigenics Phyto Plus 13.5
Blackmores Women's Multi & Evening Primrose Oil 13.4
Natural Nutrition Mega Potency Fifty Plus Multi Vitamins 13.4
Blackmores Sustained Release Women's Multi Vitamins & Minerals 13.3
Natural Nutrition Mega Potency Men's Multi Vitamin with Selenium 13.3
Red Seal Men's Multi 13.3
Pharm-a-Care Men's Mega Strength Multi-Vitamin 11.7
Bioglan Men's Complete Multi Complex 11.6
Nature's Way Men's Energy Mega Multi-Vitamin Iron-Free 11.6
Blackmores Sustained Release Multi Vitamins and Minerals 11.5
Swisse Women's Ultivite Formula 1 11.5
Pluravit Time-Release Multi 11.5
Thompson's Men's Multi with Antioxidants 11.3
Herbs of Gold Executive Multi Vitamin & Mineral 11.1
Golden Glow Senior's One-A-Day Multi 11.1
Swisse Women's Ultivite No Iron or Iodine 10.9
Swisse Men's Ultivite Formula 1 10.8
Blackmores Sustained Release Multi Vitamins & Minerals + Selenium 10.7
Melaleuca Vitality for Women 10.6
Reliv Now 10.4
Nature's Own Multivitamin Plus Omega 3 Fish Oil 9.1
Avon VitAdvance Women's Complete II 9.1
Good Health Men's Multi-Plus 9.1
Pharma Foods Pharma Day with Selenium 8.7
Herbalife Formula 3 8.7
Kordel's Women's Multi Plus EPO 8.6
Cenovis Mega Multi 8.4
Thompson's Femmefort 8.3
Microgenics Mega Multivitamin 8
Melaleuca Vitality for Men 7.5
Reliv Classic 7.5
Nutrition Care Formula 33SE 7.4
Microgenics Women's Pro Active Multi Vitamin 6.8
Golden Glow Super One-A-Day 6.7
Herron Clinical Nutrition Men's Multi-Vitamin & Minerals 6.2
Blackmores Men's Performance Multi 6.2
Good Health Women's Multi-Plus 6
Vitaplex Professional One a Day Multivitamin 5
New Vision Essential Vitamins 4.7
Centrum Select 50+ 4.3
Amway NutriWay Daily 4.2
Microgenics Men's Essential Multivitamin 4.1
Myadec Gold A-Z Guard 4
Red Seal Total Multi with Minerals 3.9
Centrum Complete from A to Zinc 3.9
Cenovis 50+ Multi 3.8
Guardian Women's Multi Vitamins & Minerals 3.6
Herron Clinical Nutrition One-a-Day Women's Multi-Vitamins & Minerals 3.6
Cenovis Multivitamin and Minerals 3.4
Amcal One-A-Day 3.3
Berocca Performance 3.2
Healtheries Women's Multi (AU) 3.2
Cenovis Women's Multi 3.1
Nature's Own Daily Multi Essentials 3.1
Pluravit Women 3.1
Golden Glow Women's One-a-Day Multi 3.1
Blackmores Multi + Gingko for 55+ 3
Pluravit 50 Plus 3
Healtheries Women's Multi (NZ) 2.7
Hivita LiquiVita 2.6
Red Seal One-a-Day Multi & Minerals 2.6
Amcal Multivitamin & Mineral Effervescent 2.6
Golden Glow Men's One-a-Day Multi 2.5
Bioglan Daily Plus Max 2.5
Cenovis Men's Multi 2.5
Myadec Multivitamins and Minerals 2.4
Nature's Own Multivitamin & Mineral 2.4
Herron Clinical Nutrition All-in-One Multi-Vitamin & Mineral 2.1
Guardian Multi Vitamins & Minerals Hi Potency 2.1
Advocare Macro-Mineral Complex 1.1

Source: Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements by Lyle MacWilliam, BSc, MSc, FP (Northern Dimensions Publishing, ISBN 0-9732538-3-5

NilaJones

I take Thorne. It helps me a tiny bit on its own and a lot when combined with methylation supps. I use version III, and add copper and iron separately so I can titrate the doses.