• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had experience with Kara Fitzgerald?

Hi,

I’m considering taking my daughter to see Kara Fitzgerald, ND and wondered if anyone else has seen her. In addition to CFS, my daughter has FM, POTS, adrenal fatigue and some GI issues. My daughter has done a 23andme test and she had a Methylation Pathways Panel test, which confirmed some deficiencies in parts of her overall methylation cycle. Her 23andme test also showed some SNPs (A1298C, C677T, and others) which predispose her to some chronic health conditions, although I realize that it is not a guarantee of ill health.

So, I’m interested in a practitioner who can advise us, based on the results of the above tests, as a start. I know of the Simplified Methylation Protocol, but I would want to start that only under the guidance of a practitioner. Also, I’ve read that depending on what specific genetic polymorphisms that one has, one may need to customize the protocol to minimize startup side-reactions. My daughter has already had tests for organic acids, amino acids, GI profile, etc. and has taken supplements to correct nutritional deficiencies, but without success. But, she has only recently done the 23andme and Methylation Pathways Panel test, so that provides new information to help guide a suggested treatment protocol.

Kara Fitzgerald seems like a potential candidate here, but I’d like to get some confirmation from others before proceeding.

Regards,
Scotty81

I did consultation with her and she is very expensive doctor indeed. I ended up without successful treatment from her and its better to buy the following case study book and learn Amy Yasko protocol by yourself. I was not right Candide for Yasko protocol since she advised to avoid sulfur but I have sulfur deficiency. I live overseas but wished to do consultation with Dr Hanaway of Cleveland functional medicine clinic and he was formally Genova lab director as well.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/abou...clinic-opening-center-for-functional-medicine

or do emal consultation with Dr Sarah Myhill UK

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Central_Cause:_Mitochondrial_Failure

best of luck
Nina

Hi Nina,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a successful treatment experience with Dr. Fitzgerald. I am curious if she started from the basics and had you do a 23andme test to look out for any potential predispositions for chronic issues. Also, is it possible that she advised you to avoid sulfur since you had a genetic mutation involving your sulfurtransferase pathway? I don't really know about such things, but I guess what I am wondering is whether it was an oversight on Dr. Fitzgerald's part or whether she had a particular reason for you avoiding sulfur.

As to your comment on the "Case Studies" book, I actually just got this and am reading through the various case studies. And, I have previously downloaded Dr. Amy's workbook, which gives more prescriptive advice. However, since one needs to be aware of potential side effects with any protocol, my daughter or I want her to "go it alone", as you suggest. Since you were not satisified with Dr. Fitzgerald's treatment, were you able to be successfully treated elsewhere?

Regards,
Scotty81