• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried EMDR for PTSD issues?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@Dreambirdie It isn't free anymore, but still less than $2. http://www.amazon.com/Self-Administered-EMDR-Therapy-Freedom-Depression-ebook/dp/B00G239MV2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1410747594&sr=1-1&keywords=Self-Administered EMDR Therapy: Freedom from Anxiety, Anger

@Patti Levin I disagree. I've done it both ways and think that we are all adults who know our limits and our issues well enough to know when we need professional help- and when we can take control of our health, mental and physical.

Thanks. And yes, I agree with you about the above.

I agree with people's points about the need for "self-reflexivity" and the need for a therapist with experience. A therapist really shouldn't start crying during a session!!

My therapist, with whom I was with for 4-years, got to the stage where she was happy to teach me how to self-administer EMDR. By that point, I was good at processing and knew how to keep myself safe. These days (and I have taught it to many people), if I am feeling stressed out by something, I sit down, close my eyes and pat the tops of my thighs alternately with my palms. I focus on the anxiety, or whatever feeling I have, and I usually find I can access a negative belief about myself. I continue to pat my thighs, and I tend to be able to think more rationally and replace the negative thought with something more affirming. I consider this to be an effective day-to-day problem-solver, and I wouldn't think for a moment it was dangerous. So, EMDR, to my mind, is a catch-all for skills we can implement in everyday life to improve the quality of our lives and the basis for intense, meaningful therapeutic relationships with trained psychotherapeutic practitioners. With regards the latter - and in some senses I agree with Patti - I doubt whether it is possible to engage in "deep" EMDR without a practitioner. One of the reasons therapy works is because trauma is exposed in the form of a "confession", the form of which is often tightly bound to issues of guilt, self-blame, etc. Talking or thinking without confessing is akin to ruminating on a problem. Moreover, all narratives, by definition, derive their meaning from involving or incorporate others. The therapist is symbolic in the narrative, and helps give meaning to others in the narrative. Without the narrative component to sessions with another, I suspect we are strengthening the internal component to our suffering. I guess the need for externalizing is why some people write down their psychosocial problems on paper; it implies someone is reading or will read what they have written.

golden

EMDR therapy cannot and should not be self-administered! Attempting to use a complex therapy on serious psychological problems by oneself is like looking in the mirror and talking, and assuming what you're doing is psychotherapy.

One of the initial phases (Phase 2) in EMDR therapy involves preparing for memory processing or desensitization (memory processing or desensitization - phases 3-6 - is often referred to as "EMDR" which is actually an 8-phase method of psychotherapy). In this phase resources are "front-loaded" so that you have a "floor" or "container" to help with processing the really hard stuff. In Phase 2 you learn a lot of great coping strategies and self-soothing techniques which you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need.

Grounding exercises are terrifically helpful. You can also use some of the techniques in Dr. Shapiro's new book "Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR." Dr. Shapiro is the founder/creator of EMDR but all the proceeds from the book go to two charities: the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Research Foundation). Anyway, the book is terrific. It's an easy read, helps you understand what's "pushing" your feelings and behavior, helps you connect the dots from past experiences to current life. Also gives lots of really helpful ways that are used during EMDR therapy to calm disturbing thoughts and feelings.

As I’ve mentioned about Phase 2, during EMDR therapy you learn a lot of great coping strategies and self-soothing techniques which you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need. You learn how to access a “Safe or Calm Place” which you can use at ANY TIME during EMDR processing (or on your own) if it feels scary, or too emotional, too intense. One of the key assets of EMDR is that YOU, the client, are in control NOW, even though you probably weren’t in the past, during upsetting or traumatic events. You NEVER need re-live an experience or go into great detail, ever! You NEVER need to go through the entire memory. YOU can decide to keep the lights (or the alternating sounds and/or tactile pulsars, or the waving hand) going, or stop them, whichever helps titrate – measure and adjust the balance or “dose“ of the processing. During EMDR processing there are regular “breaks” and you can control when and how many but the therapist should be stopping the bilateral stimulation every 25-50 passes of the lights to ask you to take a deep breath and ask you to say just a bit of what you’re noticing. (The stimulation should not be kept on continuously, because there are specific procedures that need to be followed to process the memory). The breaks help keep a “foot in the present” while you’re processing the past. Again, and I can’t say this enough, YOU ARE IN CHARGE so YOU can make the process tolerable. And your therapist should be experienced in the EMDR techniques that help make it the gentlest and safest way to detoxify bad life experiences and build resources.

Pacing and dosing are extremely important! So if you ever feel that EMDR processing is too "shattering” then it might be time to go back over all the resources that should be used both IN session and BETWEEN sessions. Your therapist should be using a variety of techniques to make painful processing less painful, like suggesting you turn the scene in your mind to black and white, lower the volume, or, erect a bullet-proof glass wall between you and the painful scene, or, imagine the "abuser" speaking in a Donald Duck voice... and so forth. There are a lot of these kinds of "interventions" that ease the processing! Bringing your adult self into the memory is a great strategy. Your therapist can use what we call "cognitive interweaves" to help bring your adult self's perspective into the work as well. Such interweaves are based around issues of Safety, Responsibility, and Choice. So T questions like "are you safe now?" or "who was responsible? How big were you compared to how big was the perpetrator?" and "do you have more choices now?" are all very helpful in moving the processing along.

golden

^^^ I would avoid a practitioner who stated these things at all cost.

I have also had one cry. As she dumped her own problems onto me lol

Better off empowering yourself.

Oh ;). It's really surprising that you've had someone cry. A psychotherapist is supposed to be in therapy for at least once per week during training, and while they have training patients, because therapy does bring up issues for the therapist that they should be working through. I can only imagine they hadn't done the rigorous training. I know for counselling that the training is less onerous; these aren't less committed to their patients, but I think they are more vulnerable to their own "baggage".

I'm training as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist right now, and I have to be in therapy twice per week for the whole of the course - and for one year before it starts. Huge commitment!