• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

has anyone tried Mirtazapine for sleep?

*GG*

I was on Trazadone for a year or so before 2009, it stopped working for me, went up to highest dose you can take. Tried Doxepin, did not work for me at all. Have been on Mirtazapine (Remeron) since fall of 2009, usually only take 30mg, but some nights I need to take more to help me sleep!

GG

PS I am not sensitive to meds!

*GG*

@ggingues Did you have any weight gain with that? I hear it's a big problem with that.

Not certain if weight gain was due to the meds or just being less active. I did the Ideal Protein diet via my Drs office and lost 40 pounds, and have pretty much kept it off! Still pretty good about watching my carbs :)

GG

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm talking major weight gains. I was looking into it and opted not to because of that. I gained about 60 from Neurontin in about 8 months.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
That was a long time ago and I lost it all. I recently dropped 15 doing a 1200 calorie diet. I'm having problems eating enough food to stay at this level.

@Azrael I am seeing a NP who has my 23andMe results. She is aware of my sleep issues and is in a better place to figure out what is going on with me in general.

What I will say is high adrenaline is NOT my problem as I am pretty much flatlined below normal starting at 7 a.m.

Well adrenaline and nor adrenaline is not the same thing. But adrenaline can still be be an indicator.

Let me just say that you dont have to have high noradrenaline to have HIGH noradrenaline.

There are chemicals that should balance NA if those chemicals are low or working poorly your nor adrenaline that are shown to be normal will still feel like being high.

So it can be high compared with the balancing chemicals but still be normal.

I hope your NP have the devotion and time to really get to the bottom of your problems.

I got concerned when i read the first sentence of yours
I WILL not sleep without a med
, and wanted to help out.

Good luck!

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
It seems a bit weird to use it for sleep, since that's not an intended function, but rather a side-effect. It's primarily intended to be an anti-depressant - not that that means a damned thing.
It's the anti-histamine action that causes the drowsiness. Unfortunately, the drowsiness doesn't wear off in the daytime. It's also the anti-histamine action that causes the weight gain.

I found mirtazapine really helpful for POTS (I'm guessing due to NE release), but the anti-histamine action was just too strong for me, even at 7.5 mg.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
As I said before, I"ve been dealing with this for 20 yrs. I've tried everything under the sun since then and since I have a ton of other things going on, and I'm paying to see an NP, we are talking about it.

cigana

It helped me sleep, but I did not really feel any different during the day as a result (i.e. I did not feel refreshed).