• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you been turned off church and church life but not jesus?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

The only person that I now ever believe really understands my needs, or my pains, or my sense of despair from the rejection by physicians, co-workers, family, churches is Christ Jesus alone. He is the only one that is true, bears all the pain, protects, provides, and brings new hope.

Have had a boss that accused me of substance abuse (after many many years of faithful service) and mandated that I seek psychiatric help, practically every physician I have ever visited has accused me of psychological issues as well as laziness, my family heaps abuse and ridicule on me for being sick all the time, friends abandoned me, relationships disappeared as if I never existed, coworkers turned on me, once finding a MD that understood, his well-meaning medical help made my condition even worse. Accusations, scorn, ridicule, rejection were everywhere I turned, except the church.

grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;to be understood, as to understand;to be loved, as to love.

The churches I have been a member never understood what I was going through, but they did not totally reject me like almost every other element of society has.

What more or less amazes me as a newcomer to this board, is how much faith is placed in modern medicine, when modern medicine by and large heaps ridicule, scorn, accusations, and rejection upon us, and is most often the precise cause of this malady.

Anne LiConti

ME25er
Jesus has kept me alive and made this illness tolerable. I wouldnt be alive if it wasn't for Jesus.
I do most of my fellowshipping with other Christians on facebook. I am sort of an encourager.
I also send books and Bibles to people :)

Wifi123

Jesus has kept me alive and made this illness tolerable. I wouldnt be alive if it wasn't for Jesus.
I do most of my fellowshipping with other Christians on facebook. I am sort of an encourager.
I also send books and Bibles to people :)
Hi Anne,

I have been suffering ME/CFS since my return from Vietnam in 1969. There was a lot of things that could be put down to my illness for I served in the military for a very long time. But, our Lord is who kept me going with my debilitating illness, and not medicos. I learnt a lot as HE showed me what is the main causation factor of this illness. I glad you can share with others, and HIS love. Keep going faithful servant...Blessings.

Shoesies

{{{{{{tulip}}}}} I understand your frustration with most churches in America. I too, am over organised religion. Jesus Christ is the head of my church and a body of believers can be just your family memebers together. The first century church was not a large church with constant manditory activities, but small house gatherings of believers, living out the call on their lives. I believe there was peace and freedom and carrying one another's burdens much like we are doing here. I am OVER constant activities and manditory staff meetings and constant earn your way to God tactics. This is coming from a former Worship Leader of 20 plus years. Pastors are taught tactics to get and keep people involved. I opted out. I join several other families that left our church in FL and moved to NGA. We meet on friday evenings and worship or speak anything the Lord gives us. It is beautiful. I pray you find what you are seeking and it gives your spirit peace, In His Matchless Love..shoesies

I am a Christian, but I don't go to church. I am really too ill to go in the first place. But it's also true that I've never met anyone at a church who was understanding about my situation or illness. I'm also disturbed by the conversations I've had with the ministers of the churches I've attended--it's as if they never actually read The Bible themselves. That completely turns me off. They just want to be popular to bring in money. They are not taking it seriously. For me, my home is my church, and I pray around the clock. But I wish I was not alone. The Bible says "Where two or more are gathered..." But I only have one.

Shoesies

Joan, you are not alone. I know you may be alone in the physical sense and my heart hurts for you...and believe me I understand that reality. It has been 4 weeks since I have been able to attend our friday night services. Now that I know you are there, I will be sending up a word for you during the week.

rosie26

It's really hard going to church when you have ME. I tried to and after 1/2 an hour I was looking at the exit door and wondering how to leave without distracting everyone. I find the meeting and greeting and talking to everyone does terrible things to my brain and my eyes get sore with all the movement of people. And my body just wants to collapse.

You also have to have a high tolerance level as well, be very patient and feel love for people ! Which can be hard with ME when your running close to empty.