• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hearing loss

JoanDublin

Hi there,

Has anyone experienced hearing loss with ME? My young lad has noticed that his hearing is getting really bad lately. He has ME now almost two years. I just thought he was being a typical teen when he didn't answer me when I was calling up the stairs :) I had noticed lately that he is speaking really loudly and again I thought it might be just his pitch has changed as his voice is breaking. Tonight however he said that he thought his hearing was gone really poor and I did an online hearing test with him and according to the result he has significant hearing loss - about 50% of normal.

I'm going to take him to see his general doctor shortly about it but I just thought I'd see if anyone else experienced this related to ME?

Oh and he is also having severe and regular nose bleeds with lots of clots too :(

Thanks
Joan

DeGenesis

Oh and he is also having severe and regular nose bleeds with lots of clots too :(

Thanks
Joan

I'm sorry for what's happening to your son, Joan. It looks like your son is in both a hypo- and hyper=coagulable state. Off of the top of my head, Anti-phospholipid syndrome AKA Hughes syndrome is known to cause this. There are also a whole host of rare blood disorders that can cause this.

I would take a look at Hughes Syndrome first though. It is an autoimmune disorder and highly underdiagnosed.

Sorry I can't advise with his hearing loss.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi there,

Has anyone experienced hearing loss with ME? My young lad has noticed that his hearing is getting really bad lately. He has ME now almost two years. I just thought he was being a typical teen when he didn't answer me when I was calling up the stairs :) I had noticed lately that he is speaking really loudly and again I thought it might be just his pitch has changed as his voice is breaking. Tonight however he said that he thought his hearing was gone really poor and I did an online hearing test with him and according to the result he has significant hearing loss - about 50% of normal.

I'm going to take him to see his general doctor shortly about it but I just thought I'd see if anyone else experienced this related to ME?

Thanks
Joan

Several have mentioned hearing loss. Have a look here.

Sushi

JoanDublin

Several have mentioned hearing loss. Have a look here.

Sushi
Thanks Sushi. Just read that thread. I'm strongly considering trying to get to see KDM with my young lad but need to make sure I have the finances covered first. Thanks again for pointing me in that direction. I noticed that the thread starter is also from Dublin so would be great to get her advice on the whole process :)