• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy Brain fog and energy fluctuation - history of depression and anxiety

Santino

Hello,

my name is Santino, I am 27 years old and I live in Germany.

I was by many doctors in Germany and had many diagnoses:

- moderate depression
- general anxiety disorder
- panic disorder

My definitive diagnoses are:
- alopecia areata (over my whole body I lost nearly all hair)
- Vitiligo
- chronic proctitis (which I seem to have under control when I avoid certain food)
- my kidneys where aslso attacked by my immune system.

My last psychiatric diagnosis was bipolar disorder II ultra rapid cycling. This matches with my symptoms a lot, but I know that I have a big influence on the symptoms with using or avoiding foods or using or avoiding supplements. So I cannot see myself in the paradigma of psychiatric medicine.

I don´t have panic attack or general anxiety anymore. Also I don´t have severe depression anymore.
I got there by using psychotherapy but at most by learning which foods I don´t tolerate. Especially anxiety just comes with specific food choices. My depressive mood swings where there all the time until I switched to a ketogenic diet. This diet in combination with low histamine diet lead to a loss of extreme states of depression.

Since then I don´t have the extremes anymore.

But what I always have (and since a year now it is inhibiting me in my everyday life) is brain fog, long subdepressive states, loss of energy (concentration, focus), many sensivities to medications or foods (get cold symptoms from some things). I also often feel "mixed states": a state between depressive/anxious/irritated".

I want to get rid of this fucking brain fog. I cannot get my work done and everything seems meaningless if I cannot do anything.

I hope that I can get help here.

After trying many things and contacting many doctors I found the thing about the MTHFR gene and general SNP-testing.

I decided to do these tests and you can see my results in the file I attached!

I tried a Multivitamin with metafolin and methylcobalamin in it (also the other b vitamins where in it), but I noticed my anxiety coming up at this day altough the dose was very small ( e.g. 133mg metafolin, 170 methycobalamin)

I hadn´t these symptoms long time and my life is quite standard at this moment so I can rule out which factors lead to symptoms. I will try it again but it seems that adressing my SNPs lead to anxiety.

My actual diet is:

Macronutrients:
Protein: between 50g and 90g per day
Fat: between 100-300g per day
Carbohydrate: less than 30g per day

Food I eat at this moment:
fresh meat and fish from all sources (low in histamine)
Vegetables: Zucchini and carrots most, sometimes Brokoli or green beans
Fat from pork, goose, ghee, meat/fish, krill oil, Flax seed oil, olive oil

My questions are:

1. Do you have advice for me? What should I try next?
2. Ae here people who experienced relief of brain fog and fatigue by using the genetic testing thing?

Kind regards!

Santino

My SNP:

VDR Bsm rs1544410 TT +/+
BHMT-02 rs567754 TT +/+
BHMT-04 not found n/a n/a
BHMT-08 rs651852 TT +/+
AHCY-01 rs819147 CT +/-
AHCY-02 not found n/a n/a
AHCY-19 rs819171 CT +/-
CBS C699T rs234706 AG +/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 GG -/-
CBS N212N not found n/a n/a
SHMT1 C1420T not found n/a n/a
COMT V158M rs4680 GG -/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CC -/-
COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 TT +/+
VDR Taq rs731236 GG -/-
MAO A R297R rs6323 G -/-
ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 AG +/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AA -/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +/-
MTRR H595Y not found n/a n/a
MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-
MTRR R415T not found n/a n/a
MTRR A664A rs1802059 GG -/-

I can provide more SNPs if necessary. I tested at 23andme!

Attachments

• GGM.pdf
    161.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

jerrymcfadyen

Welcome to the forum Santino, I hope you get lots of help here. I too have the brain fog. Sometimes it's a lot worse than others. The only relief I've found is rest. The more rest I get the less the brain fog is and just the opposite the more tired/fatigued I am the worse the brain fog gets. It's a large part of why I quit my job. The fatigue was very bad but the brain fog pushed me over the edge. It is much better now that I am not working.
Good luck
Jerry Mc

Wayne

1. Do you have advice for me? What should I try next?

Hi Santino,

I recently started drinking Japanese Knotweed tea (which has very high concentrations of resveratrol). JK is the number one herb recommended by Stephen Buhner for Lyme, which I have. Whether you have Lyme or not, resveratrol is one of relatively few antioxidants that can cross the blood brain barrier.

Since drinking this tea this past month, I've noticed some subtle but very definite improvements in my cognition. Most of the resveratrol supplements you'll find on the market are made primarily from JK roots. Fortunately, I was able to harvest some locally, so I can get the resveratrol at no cost.

All the Best, Wayne

helen1

You might want to check @stridor's posts and history and maybe contact him directly. His past sounds a lot like your present. He's completely recovered from his mental illnesses and improved his CFS significantly.

Santino

Thank you all for the answers.

I already tried a lot:

I tried magnesium:
- transdermal
- oral intake as Magnesium-Citrate and Magnesium Tri-Citrate

I also tried many probiotic and prebiotic.

It did not help me. Inulin even gives me more heavy brain fog. Also FOODMAPS which contain Inulin. I think good abcteria growth would be great for me and everybody and Inulin is great for the good bacteria, but I get heavy brainfog from this...:-( At this moment, I try Bimuno, which is 2nd generation prebiotic. I had little allergic reaction to it but it seems that my body now can tolerate it. It is GOS and this does not lead to brain fog by me. I will try this a few more days if it helps and if I will still tolerate it.

I have no lyme disease. Was tested for many diseases by my doctor.

I also am not overstressed or something like that. I have a life which is really relaxed. I study what I want to study: psychology. I have enough to eat, a good bed and everything a human needs. No stress. So there is not really workload I could reduce.

I would like to work more, but it is difficult with these issues...

I could try resveratrol!

Has anybody had success with the methylation thing?

Thank you!

P.S.: I forgot to mention, that my mood and energy also correlates with my bowel movement. I often have constipation and when I have relief, I also think to have more energy. When I get constipated I often feel more of these mixed states or have loss of energy.

I tried the most common things. Flax seeds help a little bit against the constipation.

P.S.:
I met a doctor in alternative medicine who works with muscle testing (kinesiology) to determine what could help somebody. What do you think of this?

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I often have constipation
I lived in Europe for over 3 years (Italy and Germany) and it is the only period of my life when I never got constipation.
works with muscle testing (kinesiology) to determine what could help somebody
Muscle testing is very popular around here.
I tried magnesium:
- transdermal
- oral intake as Magnesium-Citrate and Magnesium Tri-Citrate
I personally never had success with these forms, but had a huge improvement from magnesium oxide. Magnesium glycinate is the form that helped my husband.
Has anybody had success with the methylation thing?
There are a lot of people here being helped by methylation. I hope to join them soon.
ketogenic diet. This diet in combination with low histamine diet lead to a loss of extreme states of depression.
That is great, but such diets are very poor in some nutrients, esp. vitamin B1. I suggest you could try another form of magnesium + vitamin B1. Some people get help from molybdenum (not me since it increases uric acid) and electrolyte supplementation.

Lately a multimineral has been helping me a lot.

I suggest you look up the user caledonia and read the documents she has attached in her signature - a SNP interpretation guide is included and is very helpful.

Hope some of this helps.

izzy

P.S. how's your thyroid?

Last edited:

stridor

@Santino
If you respond and I don't reply in a day or so send me a message. Yahoo in its infinite wisdom sends me about one in ten notifications.
I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. I have had "Brittle Bipolar II Rapid-Cycling, Mixed States", I have had every psych symptom there is, or close to it. Panic attacks, agoraphobia, delusions, hallucinations...I get it.

Any reaction to methylation supplements means there is some kind of a problem and that you are barking up the right tree.

Don't take anyone's advice as gospel. Bipolar are not supposed to be able to tolerate B12 being pushed. I have.
My Dr. almost killed me (or to be more accurate driven me to do it) by giving me SAMe and TMG but he could have sworn that it would help.

Something is pissing your immune system off royally. But you know that. You are right to focus on the gut. Have you done the burp test? If not google it. Do you have enough stomach acid to digest properly. The pancreas produces enzymes that toxins can interfere with.

I suggest testing for heavy metal. I know, you're young and have not had major exposures but you have already "met" enough heavy metal in your life to kill you, and more than once. The question is whether you can remove it and I will bet dollars to doughnuts that you can't. A healthy methylation system is needed for that. Mercury can mess big-time with digestion.

I have gut problems as well and may be celiac - my reactions have gotten worse. I had my colon taken out. Vit D and iron as well as B2 need a lot of supplementing.

Have you tried quercetin yet? It throws a bit of water on the fire when it comes to immune/histamine stuff. Google everything I say. Are you a "skin writer' = dermographia?

My experience and intuition tell me that anxiety is the product of a brain in need of antioxidants. Resveratrol I a good start quercetin is another that crosses the BBB. Inositol helped me when I was plagued with this symptom - google "inositol and anxiety" and .

"The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross is a good guide. Anxiety is treated the same way as certain depressions - increase serotonin (inositol does this).
Speaking of which, your body's first line of defence is your gut. 70% of the immune system lives there and if the skin is our first line of defence, the immune system never got the memo. The intestinal lining is one of the most rapidly replaced tissues in our body. That's why cancer treatments nail it.

Your body will do whatever it takes to maintain this....including stealing amino acids that were destined to become neurotransmitters. Add this to a wonky methylation system that is supposed to be making BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin) which is a co-factor in the production of many neurotransmitters. Now, you have a problem.

What does "all-low monoamine depression" look like? It is the - life is bland, I don't care about my hobbies or socializing, where did the colour go from my life and why don't I care about that either? kind of depression.

This is common here and on the mercury sites. That is because mercury interferes with methylation - the system that is supposed to take it to the curb. See the vicious circle? Methylation is needed to remove mercury and a build up of mercury takes out the methylation system - at MTR = methionine synthase. This is the enzyme where B12 is a co-factor. MTRR is to add a methyl group to B12 and recycle it.

You have a few things going on simultaneously.. But you know that too. In my travels around these sites it seems to me that Compound Hetero MTHFR have it rough sometimes.

This leaves you with some deficits in the long pathway, but also short pathway is compromised = BHMT. You will improve but it will take some trial and error. Fall to your knees and give thanks that you don't have major COMT issues on top of this.

Just saying that many of us don't feel so hot when we fire up the methylation system. Most benefit from mB12 for a few days before mfolate but there is the odd one who is the opposite. Dose doesn't matter - you need, what you need. This isn't a race. If it was, Freddd would have won :)

So, I appear to have retired Bipolar, depression, anxiety and my brain-fog is in the 10 -15% range and often less. My energy is just so-so and I can still crash. I have Severe Adrenal Insufficiency and have to take hydrocortisone. You might need some soon too - I suspect this is on your radar. Your body is under a lot of stress. And it is surprising that your thyroid is still in the game. Mine isn't.

The Rungs in My Ladder
Moving against mercury - putting thyroid and adrenal supports in place (I can't be sure as I added a lot all at once but thyroid med seemed to put the Bipolar to sleep.
Vitamin C - IV and liposomal (I left a recipe somewhere around here)
Magnesium to bowel tolerance. I was 800mg in 2011 before the colon was removed - less now :)
mfolate and mB12 - allowed me to return to work after being off with CFS
biotin -
B2 - (you can read "A B2 Story" thread)
adenosylcobalamin and l-carnitine fumerate (n-acetylcarnitine was poison)
tyrosine - amino acid precursor to dopamine and norepinephrine replaced recently by bupropion which does the same but is more consistent for me.

I am still chelating mercury and lead. Getting there and I am still improving.
I have left out lots but that's enough for now - I don't type well. brad

Hip

@Santino
You might try some nootropic drugs to improve brain fog: I find that piracetam or aniracetam are good at fighting brain fog.

Santino

Thanks everybody for replying!

I was very busy during the week. Now I have vacation and have more time.

@Hip: I am really not a fan of taking any drug, especially the more unnatural or chemical it is. I think that drugs like these also have long term rebound effects and by suppressing the symptoms, they disable you to try and error what really is the cause of your trouble. But I know that there are cases when there is no other way.

But I have not tried all for brain fog, energy/mood-swings yet. Taking things with such an great impact would be last thing to try for me.

@Brad:

Thank you for your attention and time you took for me with this long answer.

I try to answer what you wrote step by step:

B12: i tolerated b12 injections of hydroxocobalamin very well. No side effects. But also no good effect on my issues. I tried them in 2011 and the pushed my b12 serum levels above the norm.

I don't know if it is the methycobalamin or metafolin or other things in the multi which led to more anxiety.

I know several men with bpd who do well with sam e as an antidepressant. But they have to be careful not get manic symptoms when using it. They don't use anything daily but use things relative to symptoms.

I did not do the burp test. Do you have a link? I just find software topics.

How and where can I test for heavy metall?

My vitamin D was checked in Juli 2014 and was in the upper norm. And symptoms in this time were also heavy. Also B12 serum was in the upper part of the norm. The same thing with folic acid serum levels.

I know the mood cure and also find it good book with useful information. But is doesnt help me with brainfog and concentration and gut issues.

And they seem to be my major problem at this moment. While on ketogenic diet i have less trouble with depression (especially the amplitude is MUCH smaller).

But the brain fog is not addressed through the ketogenic diet. Before the diet and also now it is the food with inulin or FOS which trigger brainfog.

Bimuno does have an positive impact but I have light pseudoallergic reaction :-/ And maybe it is the reason for a flare up of my nephritis. Difficult to say. Anyway I seem to have to stop with Bimuno. I stay on high quality probiotics as I feel like they help to prevent worse things (gut inflamnation, even more constipation) but unfortenately they don't lead to further relief from my symptoms. (Taking several probiotics for 1 year now).

My depression is more kind of: „loss of energy, (also motivation and interest), feelings of guilt, anxiety, hopelessness, anger.

But as I said: Depressive symptoms are significant less since doing the ketogenic diet (also diary, egg and gluten free, low histamine).

Food rich in histamine either leads to anxiety/irritability and/or depressive symptoms.

I did try quercetin, but it was low dose and part of a multivitamin. As almost always, I had pseudoallergic reaction to did. I have a Quercetin supplement from Jarrow here, but did not try it yet. Really most things like these (also tried OPC, NAC or Curcumin as a spice) lead to pseudoallergic reaction. I don´t know if it´s histamine liberating or an allergic reaction (surely not type 1 reaction).

But no matter what kind of reaction it is: I cannot tolerate it. If I ignore the reaction i get heavily sick.

I can try quercetin in the future. Maybe I will in the vacation because being sick 1-2 days is tolerable in the vacation...

Why do you think N-Acetyl-Carnitine was poison for you? This also was something I wanted to try J

And why did you have to remove your colon, what happened?

What do you think of trying Lithium-Orotat? As I do not have hair anymore, I cannot do the hairtesting. With the ketogenic diet I have changes in my sodium- handling.

My thyroid levels were always „fine“. I mean they were never apart.

I had big lab test done in July. They searched for many diseases because of my fatigue/brain fog and proctitis. At this time I took b- complex with folic acid and b12 everyday.

Here are some parameters:

July 2014:

Pankreas Amylase: 32 (13-53)

Amylase (SI) 1,47 (<.67)

Lipase: 0.63 (0.17-1.00)

Ferritin (iron): 100.9 (35-210)

C-reactive protein: <0.5 (<1.0)

Thyroid:

TSH basal: 1.71 (0.32-4.00)

FT3: 2.99 (2.0-4.4)

FT4: 1.24 (0.80-2.30)

Vit B12: 798 (179-1132)

Folic acid: 14.7 (3.0-17.5)

Zinc in serum: 1114 (660-1100)

HIV: negative

Anti- Streptodornase B <87 (<200)

Antistreptolysin: 34 (<200)

Anti-HCV (CMIA) negative

Borrelia testing: negative

Gliadin Antibodies: negative

Glucose: 4.34 (3.3.-6.4)

Potassum: 4.34 (3.4-5.5)

Kreatinin: 135 (62-111)

Yersinia testing: negative

Homocysteine was measured in 2011 (when bipolar disorder started): 5.9 ( <16)
And it was measured in 2013: 9.1 (above the norm).

28.10.14 (2 weeks after (Norm) and à 09.12.14 (6 weeks after starting the ketogenic diet)

I had a big ketogenic meal before the blood work was done, so don´t wonder about Tricglycerides in the second lab test ;-)

Kreatinin: 1,6 (0,6-1,1) --> 1.3

Glucose: 78 (60-115)--> 68

LDL- Chol: 180 (<160) --> 154

HDL-Chol: 67 (>35) --> 62

Chol: 240 (90-200) --> 232

Tryglycerides: 60 (<180) --> 172

LDL/HDL-Quotient: 2,69 (<4) --> 2,48

Calcium: 2,5 (2.09-2.54) --> 2.55

Potassum: 4.11 (3.4-5.5) --> 4.8

Sodium: 141 (135-150) --> 145

Uric acid: 9.07 (3.4-7.0) --> 8.1

ANA Screening: 1:160 (<1:80) --> 1:160

GFR: 127 --> 125

Some other parameters which were only measured at the second lab-test:

C-reactive protein: <0.3 (<1)

Ferritin: 162 (35-210)

Hb A1 c, %: 4,6 (<6.5%)

Folic acid: 8.2 (3.0-17.5)

B12: 746 (179-1132)

It is interesting that my folic acid levels dropped so far. Someone with MTHFR issues often has problems using folic acid. In my case, the folic acid must have been used. B12 did not change...

I wonder why my calcium levels are rising. I don´t eat many calcium rich foods. Drinking mineral water (glas) with 200 Mag and 150 Cal in it. 2,5l everyday.

Kind regards,

Santino

P.S.:

I also consider fasting as a therapeutic way to address my brainfog, autoimmunity and gut problems. Why?

--> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413113005032

I will read further studies about this topic to find out which way of fasting is the best for me...

P.S.S.:
What is also very important for me is my sleep rythm. If I sleep not or stay up very early (e.g. 4 am instead of 7 am) I experience my manic symptoms more, especially more anxiety, but often also little lifting mood. So this is typical for BPD. Best for me is to have a regular sleep rythm.

Last edited by a moderator:

stridor

@Santino
http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/
FWIW - my folate and B12 levels were always in the high normal range. Supplementing B12 would put me over normal and this led my Dr and I to believe that everything was fine. Functional B12 deficiencies are related to all processes downstream from uptake. I couldn't move B12 into the cells or regenerate it well and with MTHFR c677t, I was not processing folate at normal rates either.

In other words, if your problems lie in methylation then just ignore these normal values for normal people. They have nothing to do with us.
There are 2 ways to test for metal. Since you don't have hair then your choices are considerably narrowed. You would be interested in a DMPS challenge test. This is a popular and lucrative test offered by any naturopath. Get someone who knows what they are doing. You need lots of vit C.

These tests only measure the Hg and Pb in the body and not the brain. With lead it doesn't matter as much as they will be close but with Hg there can be a concentration gradient when it becomes trapped behind the BBB.

You likely know more about treating gut than I do but I'll just say that the 2 things that helped me the most was having my stomach acid increase - which it did on its own when the Hg levels dropped - and taking human-derived probiotics. I tried a few and Genestra HMF worked the best for me personally.

Have you ever heard of the sulfite itch? When the sulphation pathway is not working well and the sulfite to sulfate conversion is wonky it can set off itching and mast cell activation. I meant to say ITCHING. I took curcumin at 8 gms daily for many months as I attempted to save my colon until I was just too miserable to continue any longer.

You need liposomal forms to get much into circulation most of it stays in the gut. There is a glutathione theory behind nearly every human ailment it seems. Glutathione is produced in cells and when we take it IV or other absorbable forms not all tissues are capable of taking it in. This is true for the gut lining. It relies on glutathione coming from the liver.

Curcumin and coffee enemas work (at least in part) by increasing glutathione-s-transferase production and release into the gut.

I ended up with a rare condition where I had over 100 polyps and about 25% of them precancerous. I had it removed and my small intestine connected to the rectum. I had another 15 taken out of the rectum last year and will need to have polyps harvested yearly.

Little it known about this condition other than it is a low glutathione and disrupted methylation (methylation also refers to the attachment of CH3 to DNA to tell genes to shut-up). Of course bipolar and CFS are also related to low glutathione states.

Many people with fog find that watching sulphur intakes is important. Things like curcumin and NAC do not agree with everyone. Cutler, the mercury expert, thinks that most brain-fog originates with the gut.

N-acetyl-l-carnitine was an annoyance. My sense was that this was something that I should take but it made the ME/CFS worse and gave me depression. I tried it 4 times - very bad. This meant that I was carnitine-shy and waited way to long to try l-carnitine-fumerate which turned out to be a rung in my ladder.

I have no idea about fasting. Let me know how it goes. I have zero tolerance for low blood sugar. Giving the gut a rest makes sense from one perspective.

BTW - you must already know this but gliadin antibodies are not definitive. Gluten, casein, soy and corn are the biggies. Corn made me super-itchy, gluten gives me pain and increase mucous, casein was off the menu for 3 years but I playing with it = ? increased folliculitis and soy I avoid because I am high estrogen.

That's it for now. brad

Gondwanaland

@Santino When I had electrolytes measured in blood the results made no sense and only when I mesured them in blood + urine it was possible to see that what was high in blood was at the same time low in urine. The interpretation? Drs. said there was nothing to worry about, but I knew that what was below range in urine had to be supplemented (magnesium in my case, and supplementation really helped). My interpretation as a patient is that high blood levels mean mobilization.

Based on my personal interpretation, I would suggest you to test for PTH, prolactin + other calcium markers. Full electrolyte panel both in serum and urine.

That's a wide normal range for uric acid! I feel bad enough when my level reaches 6.0.

Santino

Hey,

I write to give you an update but I also have some questions, especially about Lithium...

So at this moment I eat pretty much: Zucchini, carrots, green beans, very much Ghee (as much as Dave Asprey recommend in his Bulletproof Diet). I drink 2 Coffee everyday and my favorite meat comes from grass fat pork, as I tolerate this best (I don´t know why but I experience less of the symptoms when I use it instead of beef, fish and poultry)

I started with this 1 week ago on Saturday. Before of that it was the same but I did not eat as much Ghee and drank no coffee or other coffeine for weeks. My symptoms where Brainfog, lacking in drive, light symptoms of irritability and anxiety, fluctuating stool pattern (mostly 2 days constipation, then one normal day where could go to toilet 2-3 times and that is how it was my whole life).

So when I started to drink Coffee again and eat more Ghee my brain fog went away at the second serving of coffee. All symptoms went away for 3 days. I went to toilet even 3-4 times for 3 days and felt great (with this I mean: so normal, because I felt not especially good, just normal) that I lost my acceptance for this crap feeling which I build up over the last months.

In these three days I had motivation to do things for school, do things with loved ones or just do something.

But my symptoms came back fully. The only thing which did not come back fully was the brain fog. This is a little better since eating that much Ghee and drinking coffee. But for me it feels all worthless, because my mood is slightly depressive with light irritability and sometimes light anxiety. A few hours a day I feel ok, but not good.

I cannot concentrate enough (maybe for 10 minutes 20 minutes after drinking the coffee), I get nothing done for School or else.... My life is just worthless when this continues this way.

I don´t understand why I get constipated and then have normal stool again and this changes all the time while having a stable eating plan everyday. So there must be another variable which I don´t know. I don´t have stress. I drink enough, I have training 3 times a week (kickboxing).

I don´t know which variable to put in next. I use digestive Enzymes since yesterday. maybe this helps with constipation?! I use these: http://www.purecaps.net/de_AT/produkte/produkte.php?prodNr=AIE6A

I search for something that enhances my mood slightly, gives me more motivation without making me anxious or irritable. Do you think Lithium orotate would be worth a try?

I am a bit anxious that this takes away my "drive" and Libido even more. I have so little libido already and too less of "drive". Second I also ask myself if this would worsen my bloodcalcium levels...

Or should I experiment with methylcobalamin and methylfolate again? I just tried one capsule and When I reacted with anxiety and irritability (in a way I did not for long time) I stopped immediately taking it. But because it was just one capsule (3 capsules per day are normal serving size), maybe this was not the real cause of the symptoms and I should try again?

Dr. Ben Lynch recommends 50mg Niacin when feeling side effects from Metafolin and Methylcobalamin?!

I must find ways to get better in my symptoms...!!

Edit:
Today (monday), I start to use Quercetin. I have to see if I can tolerate it. I feel like it´s just a matter of time when I get intolerance reactions to the product (Quercetin from jarrow formulas). But I just have to try it.

Last edited:

Santino

Update:

As I expected: On day two I had heavy pseudoallergic reaction to quercetine. I took it before bed and this morning I feel sick the same way as with all the other subtances I summed up. It is really a mystery that all the stuff which is good for people (NAC, Tumeric, Quercetine, Glutamine, Kava Kava, St. Johnsons Worth and much more) leads to allergy-like reactions in my body...

Does anybody have suggestions what about Lithium? What dose could I start with to stay on the save side?

kind regards

brenda

@Santino

As you have an autoimmune condition, it is best to avoid immuno stimulators as Gonwanaland says.

There are a number of products that cross the BBB and help with cognition. I have not personally tried the following but am intending to. This is from a well respected and rated reviewer from Amazon.com:

MAGNESIUM L-THREONATE OVERVIEW: In addition to support for cardiovascular and bone health, energy, metabolism, and mood, provided by elemental magnesium, researchers are now focusing on magnesium's benefits for cognitive function. Magnesium has long been known as a key nutrient for optimal brain function. More recently, scientists have found it specifically promotes learning and memory as a result of its beneficial effect on synaptic plasticity and density.

The neurodegenerative processes involved in memory loss result from deterioration of connectivity between brain cells but are not a natural function of aging. Memory loss is now known to be associated with a loss of synaptic density and plasticity in the brain. Low magnesium levels may contribute to such losses.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1D7124QWOOPQH/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B008NIHCS4)

He also rates GlyceroPhosphoCholine (GPC), and PhosphatidylSerine (PS) as good for the brain.

Look up threads on LDN for autoimmune conditions.

Santino

Hello,

I never heard of immune stimulators. I don´t think it has to do with immune-system stimulation because there are many other substances which are not immune-stimulators, which also trigger the same symptoms like Kreatin, Tadalafil, Vardenafil, Modanifil, St Johnsons Worth, Kava Kava and many others...

What about Vitamin C? This should be also Immunostimulating and I should avoid when I think like this?

Am I wring with Vitamin C? I just saw this:

And I think i should take high dosage Vitamin C for a few months to detox...

I will look for the magnesium, thanks

stridor

@Santino
I have taken Lithium orotate up to 30 mg a day - took 10 mg/day for most of my illness and take 5 mg now.
I don't notice anything (+) or (-) about it but have taken it on the theory that it is neuroprotective.

If you react to everything don't forget to consider binders and other agents used in production of supplements - I'm thinking Mg stearate which is reported to play with some people's immune systems.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/23/whole-food-supplement-dangers.aspx

stridor

@Santino
Vitamin C is important. You'll need to get into liposomal forms to go high dose unless your GI tract is particularly tolerant (it'll give you diarrhea otherwise).
Remember that antioxidants work together as an orchestra - not as solo acts. I recommend that Vit E and A be taken as well.