• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy metal detox while still having amalgam fillings

zzz0r

What is the name of these things that you place in your teeth in order to make them straight up again? I do not know how it is called in english :) But anyway does anyone knows of what material are those made?

ahmo

@zzz0r, we call them braces...Don't know what material.

@SickOfSickness Thanks to you, I went looking for more info. ;)I followed up on your statement re chlorella. I find the same thing, that it both mobilizes and binds/mops up metals. Here's an interesting page:
http://www.jashbotanicals.com/articles/chlorella_mercury_detox.html
Chlorella assists our body’s removal of Mercury through a process called chelation. It’s fibrous outer shell latches onto Mercury before it attaches to our tissues. The chlorella binds with the Mercury, enabling our bodies to eliminate it naturally.

A leading detoxification scientist, Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt says, “The body is constantly trying to eliminate neurotoxins via the available exit routes. However because of the lipophilic/neurotropic nature of the neurotoxins, most are reabsorbed by the abundant nerve endings of the enteric nervous system (ENS) in the intestinal wall.”

Klinghardt, also one of the founding fathers of chelation therapy, clearly asserts that mobilization is different than, and necessary to detoxification. Mobilization means ferreting mercury out of its hiding places. Dr. Klinghardt says, "Mobilization may lead to excretion. It also may lead to redistribution. Detoxifying or detoxing means mobilizing AND moving it out of the body.”

If mercury is not excreted, the body reabsorbs it. This is a critical factor that determines the success, or as in the case of most conventional treatments, the failure of chelation therapy.

Ninety percent of Mercury elimination takes place through fecal excretion. The binding action of chlorella facilitates fecal excretion of Mercury. In addition, chlorella stimulates, regulates, and helps clean the bowel, enabling our bodies to mobilize attached Mercury into the bowel where chlorella effectively continues the elimination process. ...

How Safe is Chlorella?
While the trend today is towards oral or intravenous chelation methods, synthetic chelation therapies such as DMSA, DMPS, and high dose EDTA, mobilize mercury and other heavy metals but do not necessarily carry them out of the body. It is for this very reason, that many of these treatments can cause disastrous side effects due to reabsorbtion in the intestinal tract.

Several factors influence the safety of a chelating substance in Mercury elimination:

• Can you both metabolize and eliminate the drug with or without mercury?
  • Does the drug adversely affect other minerals and nutrients in your body?
  • Will the drug mobilize mercury, yet redistribute it instead of eliminate it?
  • Will the drug too rapidly pull mercury from body tissues not allowing it to effectively control elimination?
A major benefit of chlorella is that it isn’t a drug. Chlorella is a whole food. Not only does it allow natural elimination of Mercury as well as other heavy metals and toxins, it provides your body with nutrients to improve your overall health and well-being. Moreover, because chlorella is a food and not a drug, overdosing is nearly impossible.

Chlorella also improves elimination in all four major elimination channels, which is key to detoxification of the body.

And from Mercola:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...tures-most-powerful-detoxification-tools.aspx

One of the most exciting nutritional resources available today to help your body naturally fight environmental pollution is a whole-food based supplement called chlorella. Chlorella is actually one of the most widely used supplements in Japan, where over 10 million people use it regularly. The Japanese use of chlorella is more widespread than the North American use of vitamin C, our most popular supplement.

Do the Japanese know something we don't?

One of the reasons the Japanese value chlorella so highly is its natural detoxification abilities. Chlorella is a "green food," a single-celled, micro-algae that is about two to ten microns in size. It's very small. It is this small size combined with its unique properties that make it such a useful detoxification tool. Its molecular structure, allows it to bond to metals, chemicals and some pesticides.

When chlorella is taken into your body, its natural action will bind it to lingering heavy metals, chemicals and pesticides found in your digestive tract, which is your body's pathway to your bloodstream where these harmful toxins are delivered and deposited into your body's cells.

So chlorella first and foremost will help your body eliminate unwanted metals and toxins. But it does more than that.

Chlorella is uniquely designed to not bind to the minerals your body naturally needs to function optimally. It does not bind to beneficial minerals like calcium, magnesium, or zinc. It's almost as if chlorella knows which metals belong in your body and which chemicals need to be removed. Supplementing with chlorella is like unleashing a tiny army inside your body to fight the battle of removing toxins from your tissues and ushering them back outside your body where they belong.

Also, very interesting paper Cosigned by Mercola and Klinghardt, published 2001, lays out mercury detox and elements involved. http://www.mercola.com/article/mercury/mercury_elimination.htm

And Mike Adams loves cilantro: http://www.naturalnews.com/027434_cilantro_natural_detox.html

Thanks! I am relieved that I can take chlorella.

Also, very interesting paper Cosigned by Mercola and Klinghardt, published 2001, lays out mercury detox and elements involved. http://www.mercola.com/article/mercury/mercury_elimination.htm

From the link you provided, this is very interesting. "Cilantro alone often does not remove mercury from the body; it often only displaces the metals form intracellularly or from deeper body stores to more superficial structures, from where it can be easier removed with the previously described agents. The use of cilantro with DMSA or DMPS has produced an increase in motor nerve function."

What is the name of these things that you place in your teeth in order to make them straight up again? I do not know how it is called in english :) But anyway does anyone knows of what material are those made?

Orthodontic or dental braces are made of different materials. The common metal ones are stainless steel, sometimes with some titanium. The clear ones are made of ceramic. Wikipedia says some clear ones are made of plastic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_braces#Types_of_braces

But usually or always you also have rubber bands in your mouth. http://www.rubberbandsforbraceshq.com/

And they use some dental adhesives to affix the braces. And the retainer (appliance worn after braces are removed) probably has different materials. Plastics?

sregan

About Chlorella, if anyone can find any study that indicates it is a chelator other than it's sulfer content please post. I have seen many people who sell it calling it a Chelator but have yet to see a study indicating this. Its an interesting compound/food and I had a great initial response to it so it wouldn't surprise me if it did chelate.

m77

Hi all~

Things you can take with existing amalgams include modified citrus pectin (the mercury will come out in urine) and sodium alginate/algin (the mercury will come out in feces). There are some old studies on algin, not sure how many on citrus pectin. With mercury it is important to prevent it from recirculating in the gut, because it will get reabsorbed and won't leave the body. To do this you have to bind it to something. Activated charcoal binds to it, but people usually only take it the day of removal.
Vitamin C and sulfur are supposed to be good additions, but I know some people can't do high sulfur diets.
As others have mentioned above, cilantro is thought to mobilise mercury but is not able to bind to it, so it will just be flowing through your body making you feel worse. I tried chlorella and it seemed to stir up things and make me feel sick, but others swear by it.

In addition, make sure to take some liver support, and kidney support because they will have to work overtime in removing the toxin from your body.

I wanted to buy chlorella, but there is a chart showing how China and Japan chlorella is contaminated. Taiwan sources are contaminated, but not as badly. Most comes from China and Japan including Mercola's brand and most others if you dig into the Amazon reviews and questions. The sources which are not contaminated are chlorella grown in a tank, which may not be as healthy.

Johnmac

Does anybody have more information on this?
Cutler is a biochemist who has studied mercury & chelation for many years, so I would trust his views more than others'. He believes you should not chelate heavy metals (HMs) whilst you have amalgam fillings because so much of the mercury from the fillings would then be redistributed round your body, including into organs, potentially making you very sick.

He has also found that alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is the only agent that will remove mercury from within cells, within organs, and within the brain (it can cross the BBB both ways). However he strongly counsels not to use this until 3 months after amalgam removal, for the above reason.

Cutler uses DMPS and DMSA as 'back-up' chelators - they expedite clearing the blood of HMs. (The ALA does the heavy lifting.) From memory, these can be used soon after amalgam removal - but not before. If you have mercury in your organs (as you will for many years after amalgam fillings are removed), ALA should be taken 3-hourly round the clock. If you do it less frequently than that, you will again have redistribution & (quite possibly) its attendant, unpleasant symptoms.

Other than EDTA, which isn't now used much for various reasons, there are no other mercury detox agents: just unverified claims.

Cutler is a biochemist who has studied mercury & chelation for many years, so I would trust his views more than others'. He believes you should not chelate heavy metals (HMs) whilst you have amalgam fillings

I read something like this a few years ago, and stopped thinking about HM detox. Now I feel like I must do something, at the minimum, for my liver and kidneys.