• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help figuring out methylation? - Need to take an antibiotic and can't tolerate any

Hi everyone!

I have a kind of urgent request for help figuring out methylation. I've been sick for almost 2 years and haven't been able to tolerate most medication since then. I had some success with improvement through lifestyle and natural remedies so I didn't address it...but now I have a sinus infection and it's not going away, so I need to take an antibiotic. It doesn't seem to be terrible right now, so hopefully I have some time to figure this out.

I've had the exact same reaction to a bunch of medications: Flagyl, cefpodoxime, Valtrex, Augmentin, and azithromycin. After a couple of doses (or sometimes just one), I start to get anxious. If I continue, it builds to pretty much constant panic attacks, insomnia, paresthesias (I have peripheral neuropathy and it makes it really painful), jumpy vision, etc. Basically just all nervous system symptoms. From what I read, it sounds like excitotoxicity (which I actually don't have much of a problem with usually).

So I've tried to figure out what caused this and I believe it may be a methylation problem (although if anyone else has an opinion, I'd be open to that too!) These aren't allergic reactions - I had my IgE level checked during one of the reactions and it was normal. I'm fairly sure it has to do with how my body is processing the medication. I say that because I took cefpodoxime once during a very good period - closest I've come to remission - and tolerated it just fine. A month later, I had a horrible reaction. And the way it builds it my system...I can tolerate small doses of things but as I increase my body just rejects it.

So first question - if this is a methylation problem, what am I risking if I try pushing through the symptoms?

And second - could someone help me figure out what I need to be taking to fix this? If there's anything I could in the short run to make an antibiotic more tolerable and/or a full plan for fixing this? This is something I really wanted to figure out for myself, but I don't think I have time to learn it fully since I need to address this fairly quickly.

I've done 23andMe and have Genetic Genie results, although I'm not sure how to post them there. I'll try to figure that out. Any help anyone could give...I would be so appreciative! Thank you!

Detox Results.PNG
Methylation Results.PNG

ahmo

I can only give you a superficial response at present. Your MAO++ indicates a tendency toward histamine problems, which can push anxiety. I'm linking my current favorite histamine resources. The second one was posted in a comment on the first site, someone's collected a number of histamine articles.

In my distant past, I used to snort salt water for sinus infections. Currently, my husband has had good results using oregano oil externally. I also bought him (iherb) a nasal spray with grapefruit seed extract. both these things are anti-microbial. Also, olive leaf. I'm using a variety of these things in my current detox protocol. Away from using oregano oil or grapefruit seed extract, you can open a probiotic capsule onto the back of your tongue, as at bedtime, to allow these to migrate up into your pharynx. Or you can dissolve them and snort this.

I've been using a mixture to combat biofilm and bacteria. Oregano oil + lemongrass, clove for biofilm, + ecualyptus. Use it on the soles of feet, palms, rub onto face, neck. I've been having fab results with this. You might dilute this and snort it. It turns out there are very effective natural anti-biotics. Best to you, ahmo

The Many Faces of Histamine Intolerance http://healthypixels.com/?p=1044
https://www.evernote.com/pub/pcguys/histamines

Wow, ahmo, thanks, wonderful information!!

Regarding the histamine issue...is MAO++ potentially connected to a mast cell disorder? I ask because I have POTS (actually my primary diagnosis, ME/CFS is more questionable) and I know there's a big overlap between POTS and mast cell issues. Can mast cell issues cause extreme anxiety? I always assumed it was more "typical allergic reaction" stuff.

ahmo

I think the answer is Yes, re MAO/mast cell. I now consider myself suffering from something on the spectrum of mast cell disorder. Linking 2 excellent talks by mast cell expert Theo Theoharides. Especially the one re 'brain allergy' causing the range of neurological symptoms found in autistic kids. In fact, I've just ordered his product, Neuroprotek to see if I can eliminate the last bits of my brain 'disorder'. (Actually, that's pretty literal, my brain is, in some ways, chaotic, dis-ordered.) I usually avoid proprietary supps, but I listened to his 15 min vid specifically about the product, and as Theoharides is a pharmacologist, I decided to give it a go.

Re the anti-microbials, I'm expanding my ways of administering these things. I started grapefruit seed extract via footbaths, which is still the only way I'm taking it. In addition to the olive leaf extract I buy in capsules, I've now added olive leaf sold loose as tea. I add this to footbaths, as well as to my detox enemas. And I've added it to a smoking mixture I've just devised, with a number of calming and fumigating herbs, including oregano. You could possibly burn it like incense and inhale. Or brew a tea and make a steam tent with a towel held over your head over the steaming brew. I'm amazed at the power of these things. cheers:balloons:

‪‘Brain Allergy’ and ASD - T. Theoharides, MD, PhD‬
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9QbZp3WcC1Q

Mastocytosis with Theoharis C. Theoharides, MS, PhD, MD, FAA‬
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CplxXGpFeKQ

Valentijn

@lejones1 - No idea what implication it has for antibiotics, but your methylation is likely badly affected by both MTHFR and MTRR.

MTHFR C677T +/+ means you produce methylfolate at about 30% of the normal rate. Unless you are a huge eater of the veggies, you probably need to supplement methylfolate. Inactive forms, such as folic acid, won't be of much help and may even make the folate problem worse.

MTRR A66G +/+ means that your B12 gets recycled at about 30% of the normal rate. Supplementing some form of B12 can help with that. Because you have a lot of +/+ COMT, VDR, and MAOA, you might tolerate hydroxoB12 better than methylB12.

I think it's the first time I've seen those two mutations both as +/+ ... nasty!

@Valentijn wow thanks great information! I don't know if I like being the only one you've seen with both mutations...but at least it means I have plenty to address! Can you help explain a couple of things to be? I have quitea high B12 blood level - I was supplementing and my doctor told me to stop because it was like twice the upper limit. That was a year ago and it's still near the upper limit. Does this mean my body just isn't processing it correctly?? Also homocysteine - I have a fairly low homocysteine level - is this a good sing or completely irrelevant?

UM MAN

Do you take Thyroid meds?

I do not know if this really works, but, have you considered colloidal silver?
VitaCost has a 500ppm, sublingual-able product.

Nope no thyroid meds. Nothing daily at all except vitamins and probiotics.

I have considered colloidal silver - I got some to use as a sinus rinse but then got a antibiotic rinse instead and figured it was a safer bet. Unfortunately my infected sinuses are swollen shut so I need something systemic. Would oral colloidal silver work?

Valentijn

I have quitea high B12 blood level - I was supplementing and my doctor told me to stop because it was like twice the upper limit. That was a year ago and it's still near the upper limit. Does this mean my body just isn't processing it correctly?? Also homocysteine - I have a fairly low homocysteine level - is this a good sing or completely irrelevant?
Did the test look for a specific form or location of the B12? And have folate levels ever been tested? Were you supplementing folate when the B12 tested high?

"Fairly low" homocysteine probably isn't a cause for concern, especially if it's still in the normal range.