• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help me with my dissertation research

Hi. I'm doing my dissertation on life living with M.E. Please get in touch if you would like to take part and be an interviewee for my project. I am particularly interested in creative activities that people with M.E. have undertaken and opinions to do with whether M.E. is a modern malady due to the demands of 21st century life. If your interested please message me.

A.B.

whether M.E. is a modern malady due to the demands of 21st century life.

There is little reason to believe it is. The prevalence of CFS in Nigeria is similar to that of western countries (some uncertainty must be acknowledged due to the debate about diagnostic criteria, but there doesn't seem to be a large difference).

The prevalence of chronic fatigue syndrome in Nigeria.
PS: Brazil also has similar prevalence rates.

A.B.

Does that mean that these countries are in the paleolithic?

The idea that CFS is a stress problem typically goes along with the idea that it's a problem affecting mostly white people, with an overachiever personality, in western countries . I have responded to that point (and can provide some more relevant material on request). This is also why I use the name CFS - because that is presumably what is being discussed here. Of course Alexbickler could have meant something else, but the post is somewhat vague (what definition of ME/CFS, what does "modern malady due to the demands of 21st century life" even mean, etc).

The idea that CFS is a stress problem typically goes along with the idea that it's a problem affecting mostly white people, with an overachiever personality, in western countries . I have responded to that point (and can provide some more relevant material on request). This is also why I use the name CFS - because that is presumably what is being discussed here. Of course Alexbickler could have meant something else, but the post is somewhat vague (what definition of ME/CFS, how is stress defined, etc).

So why not let them add some more before making assumptions. It was vague, let's hope he/she can give us some more specifics.

picante

what does "modern malady due to the demands of 21st century life" even mean,
Yes, it's vague. One of the demands of 20th and 21st century life has been coping with an unrelenting onslaught of toxic exposures. Some of those remain to be identified. Another stressor is the proliferation and evolution of a long list of specific viruses. Some of those remain to be identified as well, especially because they mutate quickly into new forms. (And are helped along by bioweapons labs in some cases -- one of them is in Sierra Leone.)

When people mention "stress" in connection with CFS, it's usually what @A.B. is talking about. That is not a claim that can be substantiated, since it's too hard to measure. Physical stressors are somewhat easier to measure, and many of us here know what triggered our CFS.

If the interview questions are well designed, @Alexbickler` could really do some great research. I can't think of a more qualified and educated population for him/her to interview than the one here on PR. Alex, why don't you talk to some of the senior members so they can offer suggestions, once they find out where you're headed with this dissertation?

Gondwanaland

Due to globalization everyone is exposed to more or less the same viruses, bacteria, mold, pesticides, industrialized foods, plastics, metals etc etc etc and in the developing countries less people have access to doctors and medical treatments, and CFS is not known by doctors who don't speak English. Most drs. I saw thought I should see a psychiatrist, as happens with lots of US patients right here in this board.

FYI most population in South America live in large cities.

jeff_w

Hi. I'm doing my dissertation on life living with M.E. Please get in touch if you would like to take part and be an interviewee for my project. I am particularly interested in creative activities that people with M.E. have undertaken and opinions to do with whether M.E. is a modern malady due to the demands of 21st century life. If your interested please message me.

I am also working on a dissertation, on my own time, as even part time graduate school is too much of an energy demand right now.

A "modern malady" this is not.

I'm interested in being an interviewee if you can give me three pieces of information:
1. Which university?
2. Which department?
3. Advisor's name?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
opinions to do with whether M.E. is a modern malady due to the demands of 21st century life.

It is not about 'opinions', it should be about epidemiological evidence. The evidence shows that the risk is there regardless of race, class, nationality, personality etc. There are studies from all continents (apart from Antartctica), showing similar prevalence.

Do you understand the risk of bias of studies based on convenience samples when asking these sorts of questions?

It is not about 'opinions', it should be about epidemiological evidence. The evidence shows that the risk is there regardless of race, class, personality etc.

Do you understand the risk of bias of studies based on convenience samples when asking these sorts of questions?

How do you know that he isn't looking at that ME is not a modern malady. I think we should wait for more answers. I have seen this before. It's not helpful just to make assumptions about research. Perhaps, we should give him time to answer. If he doesn't then we can close the thread and call it a lost cause.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
How do you know that he isn't looking at that ME is not a modern malady. .

I don't know that. But I do know you won't find a definitive answer by asking for opinions.

Edit:
There are plenty of worthwhile theses out there, for example the relationship between levels of impairment, financial struggles and quality of life.

The sociological literature is not helped by trying to argue for or against constructs like 'modern malady of the 21st century', or exceptional feats of creativity (see the Pity/heroism dichotomy), but simply listening to the real struggles of patients and how this should drive the delivery of services, medical research etc.

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
I am curious to know who is @Alexbickler`'s thesis advisor... :woot:
21st Century malady. What about the epidemic that took down much of the Royal Free Hospital staff...no one had computers and devices back then and most ate 'normal food', meat, potato and yes, bread :ninja:

alex3619

Some of those remain to be identified
I would amend that to: Some Most of those remain to be identified. Many more are identified but we don't understand what they are doing. Even worse with huge numbers of new and unusual chemicals in the environment, combinations of these chemicals may have impacts not seen when studying individual chemicals.

Good to have Kina reminding us to delay any response, but I have to admit to an audible groan on reading about the planned dissertation. Hard to see how that can be interesting or worthwhile, but maybe I'll be surprised and serious thought has gone in to this.