• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with 23andme results

I got my methylation analysis from genetic genie but am really struggling to wade through the data.
If anyone can point me in the right direction for more reading or advice I would really appreciate it, particularly for the homozygous mutations. I can find some info for the MAO one but hardly anything for the CBS mutation.
Here they are:
Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

• MAO-A R297R
  • CBS A360A
Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

• COMT V158M
  • COMT H62H
  • VDR Bsm
  • VDR Taq
  • MTR A2756G
  • MTRR A664A
  • BHMT-08
I have OCD and depression amongst other issues so was wondering if anyone here has tried myo inositol with the MAO mutation.
Thanks for any input :) Sorry to be such a newbie

Critterina

@OneWanders ,

I don't think the homozygous mutations are ones that get treated, or if they do, I don't know about them. Personally, I wouldn't want to treat the MAO A if you are OCD and depressed. MAO A raises serotonin by slowing it's breakdown, and depression is usually too little serotonin.

OCD and depression are often associated with MTHFR A1298C, and the recommended supplement is methylfolate. Are you sure you didn't miss that one when you were typing?

There is also some mild/moderate effect on the methyl cycle from the MTR (not so much the MTRR) SNP, that B12 would exacerbate. Usually we want to supplement B12 in the methyl or hydroxy form, but not so much for you.

Do you have high homocysteine? I would guess not. But if you do, I would favor the trimethyl glycine (TMG) over the B12, given your symptoms.

As a newbie, you need to know that I am just one voice, and there are others, many of them more knowledgeable than me, and some that would probably take a different approach or disagree with me. I have no training in this area and I'm only putting the pieces together from what I read. Please consider multiple opinions, some preferably from an accredited or licensed health care professional, and take responsibility for your own choices. Above all, pay attention to how you feel and heed your body wisdom.

Critterina

Thanks so much for your response. This stuff seems so way over my head I don't know where to start! Genetic genie says I have no MTHFR mutations, and I just assumed that a MAO A mutation would mean not enough serotonin, not that I would have too much! How on earth can I have depression with too much serotonin?!
How would I know if I have high homocysteine? To be honest, I was surprised had no MTHFR as that was the main reason I got tested. I do suffer from chronic migraine that has no apparent cause. Thanks again for your response :)